Gods of Color, ANGRY!!!

Process: Scrub
Media: 5%wt AC / wt 1st Pass Distillate
Temp: 70C
Duration: 30min

Notes
First Set of Upper Left and Upper Right Pictures from Previous Run.
Solution Set overnight in -2C to Create Lower Left Image.
No light exposure during rest period.

Results of OC scrub Lower Right Image…

2 Likes

Next experiment, Summit Achromatizing Clay, 5%wt / wt OleoResin. 70C @ 30min. Filter 1,2,3 stack in the Hock (Summit).

1 vs 2
Process: Ambient AC Filtration
Media: Compounded Stack
1in Sondergut Silikate Pulver (Summit)
1in AC (CarbChem)
Filters: 1,2,3 Paper Stack Si and AC separated by #1 papers (Summit)
Unit: Vac Hock (Summit)
Temp: Ambi, 0C
Duration: Active Vac Filtration

1 vs 1A: Left overnight, no blanket, ~ -2C (12hrs)
pH: 5

1A vs 2A
Process: Warm AC Scrub
Media: 5%wt / wt Oleoresin AC (CarbChem)
Filters: 1,2,3 Paper Stack (Summit)
pH: 4

1A vs 3A
Process: Warm AchromClay Scrub
Media: 5%wt / wt Oleoresin Achromatizing Clay (Summit)

1A vs 3A
Process: Warm Carbon A Scrub
Media: 5%wt / wt Carbon A (Summit)

8 Likes

SUGGESTIONS!?!

I have:

• Celite 545,
  • Carbon Chem’s T5, Clay
  • Carb Chem’s Activated Alumina

I saw @Apothecary36 ‘s post on hotter scrubbin’. Summit’s SOP says 42C…

Is there an obvious move here?
WhichWay

The Hotter scrub makes sense.
And the Summit is a Proprietary SOP for their carbon A…
not conflicting… but… Hmmm…

• Hot Scrub with AC
  • Celite 545
  • Activated Alumina (For Shits & Gigls)
  • T5 Clay
  • Sumpin Smarter?
  • Oh you are a dip shiz, aren’t you NEWBIE!!!

0 voters

You can press it… it won’t hurt my feelers… too much… sniff

BUT IF YOU DO… post the secret sauce I’ma missing in exchange. Remember, one day YOU were a FNG… Yea, of course, not anymore… That’s not the point!

1 Like

I’m always told that carbon works better with heat

Also, a carbon filtration usually removes the nasty darknesss from the etho washes. I don’t see that nasty darkness in the original post.

3 Likes

It seems like your color is not improving significantly. I would either try sub micron filtration (like .4 or .2 micron) and/or utilize the citric acid degumming. If your color is still dark after that then you can mail it to me and I will dispose of it properly for you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I believe shadownaught said something about how carbon chemistry’s t-41 clay and mag/sil products are meant to be used in conjunction with one another.

IIRC the idea is that you don’t have to perform a degumming step if you use the acid activated t-41 because the acid in the t-41 reacts with the phospholipids in solution, the ph can then be readjusted back to neutral with mag/sil.

2 Likes

What is the difference between doing a cold or a warm scrub?

The way the oil and the adsorbent will interact…many factors are at play like what your oil is dissolved in…butane,ethanol,pentane etc. Also I noticed the ratio of solvent to oil plays a role…using more solvent to oil ratio will allow the adsorbent to be more effective

7 Likes

Wait, wait, wait ; what if you made it so that you have a little bit of activated charcoal inside a mixture that was inside a round bottom flask and had a 500ml fractional column on the flask and applied a vacuum with a cold trap regulating the vacuum @ room temp? Would.it help the a.c. Mix into the mixture?

Where would I obtain a filter that with that small of um?

Syringe filters are some of the best I’ve used, but I’ve only done it a handful of times when the clarity wasn’t as expected and I was overly paranoid about contaminants.

Be forewarned it is a long and painful process unless you have a good syringe as the filters get overloaded quickly.

https://www.amazon.com/Biomed-Scientific-Syringe-Membrane-Diameter/dp/B06XPD6PYG/ref=pd_ys_c_rfy_rp_m_330_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B06XPD6PYG&pd_rd_r=T5GT78RTYKP3KJRGR7QJ&pd_rd_w=fHPDX&pd_rd_wg=3Yhqa&pf_rd_p=18c2b826-5d67-45b8-bd0f-5035fd478b7f&pf_rd_r=T5GT78RTYKP3KJRGR7QJ&psc=1&refRID=WPKX345ZY66S3RPA0TCS

Were the ones I used, I also got some chinese ones that worked equally well but took significantly longer to arrive. I would do research before just ordering something :slight_smile:

Has anyone tried rigging these up to a vacuum manifold to do more than one at a time.

1 Like

Any chance I can use this picture on my blog discussing distillate coloration?

I read t-5 isn’t bad.

Could get a sintered disk filter from hfs. They have stainless 0.5um disks