Genetics for 2021!

I knew it was of the tri gene just haven’t heard trifoliate before always just heard this mute referenced as triploid due to the structure so that’s neat to learn I’ll be looking into it now.

I did have one that was similar to this 2 runs ago that grew out as a actual triploid in stalk structure, it was part of a fem tester pack. Ended up giving it away cause I didn’t have room anymore & I also had a duck foot mute in the same batch. It was also a cross that has Mac lineage in it.

It’s just something I’ve noticed about some Mac lines that come out. If they’re not ran through or hunted, you usually find a few like this in the batch. I give everything a chance till it shows nuts then it’s noosed.

You’ve given me some new things to study again though so thank you :metal:t3:

Wait so then is three branches per node & the structure of main stem a whorled phyllotaxy?

Do we need to make a new thread for this possibly so we can get some in-depth stuff? @cyclopath id love to hear what you got on this too since hearing of your work with similarities

2 Likes

Yes, whorled phyllotaxy is the correct term for what you have. Thanks for pointing that out. It’s very late (I mean early) where I am. Brain lapse :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Lol no worries! You got me reading & I came across the term so thought to ask. Thank you for confirmation :pray:t3::call_me_hand:t3:

1 Like

that phenotype is not necessarily even a “mutant” (defined as a DNA alteration that can be passed on), and can be induced by physical damage to the meristem.

3 Likes

What would the benefits be of breeding for triploid other than what I’ve read being multiple main colas & growth structure being squat?( I sorta see this as a good trait to lean into autos with maybe?)

1 Like

no (or little) viable seed.

Eg see: Triploid and seedless genetics high CBD genetics

Or bananas

you know, the whole one copy from mom, one copy from dad thing…

only mom’ s got 3 sets of chromosomes, and no mater how those are lined up at the plate, nothing ever (seldom) seems to get pulled apart correctly.

https://www.genetics.org/content/186/2/537

4 Likes

…and if by “triploid” you’re still referring to your phyllotactic variant; “stealth” was one reason ABC was allowed to live.

4 Likes

I am going to be running a bunch of my “Eskimo Breath” crosses ( jelly breath X Eskimo pie ) and
“Kimbosa” ( Kimbo kush X Mimosa ) … plenty of pics on my Instagram @island.genetics

6 Likes

This again…

Have you seen this as a phenotypic expression as a result of stress induction? Curious because I’ve only seen it on healthy seedlings without stress. I don’t doubt it may happen, nature is crazy :upside_down_face:. Just wondering if you have seen it.

Triploid doesn’t grow differently than diploid when created by skilled growers. It doesn’t produce “multiple main colas” as rule. It’s just sterile.

Ask GW pharmaceuticals and Hortapharm B.V., LOL. The latter (owned/operated by David Wastron - aka Sam Skunman - along with David Potter), produces/used to produce only triploid seeds they called “clones,” which they sold to GW Pharma. HortaPharm did this as a way to control their stock and prevent breeding with them. GW used to buy all their “clones” from HortaPharm, because under the contract GW wasn’t allowed to keep mothers for propagation. Pretty sure GW bought out HortaPharm some time after that, considering David Potter now works for GW. At least that was the basic story last time I heard it…

5 Likes

The Aussies at it again, lol.

1 Like

Stress no. But it’s relatively easy to induce this change in colius with a scalpel.

1 Like

That’s what I was referring to from asking about inducing stress. Have you done this? Specifically in cannabis?

Stress can mean all sorts of things other than physical injury (cell ablation if you want Google fodder).

A bigger meristem will give more space for primordia, and is likely the cause in @Cheebachiefextracts case.

I see little to no point in repeating 50year old exploration of the physical constraints in cannabis. Because they won’t pass through the seed. But it would probably make a great platform for teaching the concept (Colius is easier to acquire).

I had Ian Sussex and Sarah Hake on my thesis committee. Ian did a lot of meristem ablation, Sarah’s lab did a lot of molecular mapping of gene expression as related to branch primordia. See links provided…

3 Likes

I wasn’t entirely thinking for seed production mostly just clone/snip stock plant, if that may be worth while?

Was a seedling with large meristem & one of the faster ones that had popped. If I recall right I had to do a little surgery( don’t think I scraped it, but I remember it being twisted a little on this one into the towel.

If it’s actually a “mutant” that codes for a larger meristem, then maybe. Otherwise the phene will be lost in the axillary (branch) meristems, so it won’t clone either.

2 Likes

So as soon as that meristem is cut even to top it the plant can loose the gene in further nodes?

Yup, I’m very familiar with this in Coleus. I used the term stress because we’re on a forum and I’m not trying to be pedantic. I was just wondering if you have done it with cannabis, or you know someone who has, because you seemed to imply that’s the reason it occurs in cannabis (vs mutation). I’ve seen it countless times in large seed runs, along with a quad version.

It seems to be common in some lines, like what @Cheebachiefextracts mentioned with the Mac crosses. Which seems to imply genotypic not phenotypic.

3 Likes

Many people have grown out these types of plants, and I have yet to know anyone who was glad they did. If you’re short on space in your garden, I’d just cull it now. But for science, experiment away! :slight_smile:

1 Like