General Hemp Processing Equipment Spreadsheet

The latest version

1 Like

If total CBD (F9) = starting weight (C5) * extraction efficiency (D6) * Flower Potency (D7) * Crude Extract Potency (D8)

And Total Volume in Grams (E9) = Total CBD (F9) / Potency (D8)

The results are the exact same. Attached is the edit

Hemp Processing Equipment Selection Guide v2.xlsx (26.1 KB)

Don’t multiply by D8

Divide the result by D8 to get total volume…oh, volume labels should probably be mass.

1 Like

Oh I follow now. Multiplying by 65% at this step would equate to a 65% reduction in extraction efficiency.

Definitely needs to be fixed

3 Likes

Definitely

Edit: Updated

1 Like

Ive been working on a slight more dynamic processing calculator without the equipment selection portion. I’m not saying it’s without flaw but I believe it has all the calculation side correct.

If anyone sees changes or has ideas for added functionality please feel free to share.

2 Likes

Bug Report (?)

Have I found an error in the way Distillate Output is calculated from W/D Crude?

1. The way it is

Distillate (Total Mass) = Mass of W/D Crude * Distillate Yield (95%)
The Total Mass of Distillate is equal to the Mass of W/D Crude depreciated by a 5% loss in total Mass
[ E15 = E12 * D13 ]

Distillate (Total CBD) = Total Mass of Distillate * Distillate Potency (85%)
The Total CBD content is equal to the Total Mass of Distillate depreciated by 15% because of Potency ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ?
[ F15 = E15 * D14 ]

When Crude Oil output is calculated earlier in the sheet we take Input Lbs of Flower, multiply by Flower Potency and then multiply by Extraction Efficiency to find the Total Volume of extracted CBD. Then, we divide that output by the Crude Extract Potency (65%) to find the Total Mass of Output Crude

But in the current Distillate Output calculation, the Total Mass of Crude Oil is depreciated by 5% to represent a 95% Distillation efficiency. Then, the Total CBD is calculated by taking the Depreciated Distillate Output and multiplying it by the Distillate Potency (85%).

Does this not make sense to anyone else? Why does Total CBD = Total Mass depreciated by 15%?

1. The Way it Should Be (?)

Distillate (Total CBD) = Total CBD of W/D Crude * Distillate Yield (95%) :small_orange_diamond:
The Total CBD content of the Distillate is equal to the CBD Content of the W/D Crude depreciated by a cannabinoid loss of 5%
[ F15 = F12 * D13 ]

Distillate (Total Mass) = Distillate (Total CBD) / Distillate Potency (85%) :small_blue_diamond:
The Total Mass of Distillate is equal to the Total Distillate CBD divided by the Distillate Potency, the same way we bulked up the Crude Oil Total CBD by the Crude Oil Potency
[ E15 = F15 / D14 ]

Notes and Clarifications:

:small_orange_diamond: I have to assume the Distillate Yield represents a 5% loss of cannabinoids only. It can’t be Total Mass, because the distillation of the waste fraction is more like a 15-35% reduction.

:small_blue_diamond: The Distillate Potency is more representative of the true loss of mass outside of the CBD content. This will also vary widely based upon your method of distillation, how many passes etc.

Maybe “Distillate Yield” should be renamed “Cannabinoid Loss” to more clearly represent the depreciation of CBD content only

Opinions?

3 Likes

I used the equation: Total CBD = Total Mass of Distillate * Distillate Potency (85%) in order to determine how much potential CBD I would have for formulating products. Say I’ve got 1 kilo (total mass of distillate) that is 85% CBD content, by multiplying these numbers I get 850g of CBD which is a number I can use directly to calculate potential formulated products.

By no means do I feel that everything in my spreadsheet is entirely correct or that it accurately reflects all real world situations but it should get you in the ballpark. It seems like you have a good understanding of excel so feel free to tweak yield/loss and potency numbers to more accurately suit your needs. I intentionally left some cells open ended so they could be changed over time to reflect real world data. I am primarily doing hydrocarbon extraction so many of the distillation figures are simply based on info from future’s chart.

Appalachian, I suppose I should have specified I was referring to Future’s v3 spreadsheet.

Looking at your model now. I see you have a calculation for “Refined Crude Potency” based off the “Cannabinoid Content of the Crude Oil” divided by “Refined Crude Total”? Then “Total Distillate” takes the “Refined Crude Total”, depreciates by 3% for efficiency loss, finds the “Total Cannabinoid Content the Refined Crude”, bulks it by 8% and then converts from lbs to kilograms.

Something about that seems unnecessary.

Here is an alternative version of Future’s extraction calculator that I remodeled for my own understanding.

The main differences in this model are that:

• Distillate CBD content is devised by applying 95% efficiency to the CBD content of the Refined Crude
  • Distillate Total Mass is devised from (Distillate CBD Content / .85%)
  • Isolate is calculated by depreciating the Distillate CBD content 25%

Question:

1. 25% of the Distillate CBD Content is lost during Isolation. What percentage of the Mother Liquor is lost during Chromatography? Or is this loss factored into the Isolate loss?

2. After question 1. How do you add the remaining Mother Liquor with the remaining Isolate to calculate the Total THC Free Distillate?

Check my math someone?

I’m confused, the google doc you just linked to has the same results as the latest V3, just looks like you changed the decimal rounding?

1 Like

Im confused. How does total CBD in grams go down from raw crude to refined decarbed crude but then back up again in distillate. Seems there is another error here.

You are right. Something is wonky between Crude and Refined crude. Currently the formulas result in both being 65% potency, which is not correct. We should see a potency increase between those two steps

1 Like

Hemp Processing Equipment Selection Guide v3.1.xlsx (31.2 KB)

Ok, I added a potency check column on the right to quickly identify changes made. It seems to all follow a logical progression now. The issue was in the winterization loss, I was previously applying that to the cannabinoid yield which was incorrect.

1 Like

Look at the different sheet tabs at the bottom of the screen. Your v3 is on Sheet 1, I did a rebuild on Sheet 2.

1 Like

Hi! I have a question on your spreadsheet, specifically Cell F15 (as well as N15 & U15). I don’t understand how the Total CBD can go up at this point compared to Cell F12? F12 is Total CBD after Win/Filt/Decarb… But then in Distillation that Total goes back up. I can understand it getting more potent as one targets and distills the CBD… but the way I read your calcs it seems that CBD that went away during decarb/filter/wax comes back during distillation. Basically, why is F12 lower than F15 when we know we are losing some CBD in the distillation process?

Edit: I was playing with cell D8 wondering about different crude quality and the numbers jump around in F12 and F15. When at 60% F15 rises over F12 and I just don’t know why.

Thank you!

Its the distillate yield number that is throwing it off…The spreadsheet as is states that there is 5% loss in mass from crude to distillate, but 30% increase in cannabinoid potency of the oil, hence the resulting active CBD increasing in the distillate. Not sure what the correct answer is, but seems off to me.

Ya I think the loss must need to be far greater.

If 100g of crude tests at 50% thc (50,000mg), and my disty from it comes back at 80%, assuming there was no cannabinoid loss, max disty I could have would be 62.5g (62.5 x 800mg ((80%)) = 50,000mg), right? So 37.5% loss of mass, not 5%.

2 Likes

Agreed