Functional Genomics/Breeding

Curious if anyone In this community is using modern tools to research/breed for specific traits? The next part of my question is where do you think this will be needed? I believe using these tools can help growers get the best crop for their local area.

4 Likes

What kind of modern tools? I’m not sure how these tools would benefit growers, but would certainly benefit the genetics companies. Such as how CBG flower seems to be selling for $1200/pound for smokable. It was a seed breeder that came up with that afaik

1 Like

Simplest tool would be in house analysis, second tool is pcr, third tool is genomic sequencing, fourth tool is data mining.
It would help farmers grow a unique crop or increase viable yield.

My post is geard more towards breeders, scientists, or cultivators that have some input.

4 Likes

This is a field I’m very interested in and only just started trying to learn as much as possible about. Hopefully some people will chime in

1 Like

I have someone who is able to do this if anyone is willing to pay them to do so. DM me if anyone is interested.

2 Likes

There’s a lot of smart people on here.
I’m going to school for biochemistry and molecular biology, so most of this is in my curiculum. I have the ability to start my own research projects through my University, there’s a couple large companies working on this stuff, but I’m sure there’s a couple people out there doing this on their own.

4 Likes

Im a small company, we are licensed breeders in 2 states. we breed in greenhouses. we are partnered with a lab to do research, we are stabilizing our cbg and breeding for vigor and high cbd:thc ratios as well as 100% fems.

5 Likes

IMO the most important thing is genome sequencing. Mapping out the genome of a wide array of cannabis strains will allow us to pinpoint what genes cause certain phenotypic/ chemotypic variations.

5 Likes

which is where Phylos is way ahead of the game.
or at least the biggest player who’s shown their cards so far.

marker assisted selection makes stabilizing traits soooo much easier.

not quite as neat and tidy as in maize, where your F1 are all neatly arranged :corn: :corn: :corn:

4 Likes

I began preaching “Sequence it all and let GOD figure it out” more than 20 years ago …

GOD == Gigs Of Data.

7 Likes

Yes. Any agronomic lab should be able to provide plant performance testing to help a grower get the most out of their plants. Any cannabis compliance lab should be able to provide testing specific to cannabinoid or terpene content to inform a breeding program.

Gene sequencing is exciting, but still a ways off. I’d love to be able to test a true leaf and know what it’s branch structure and mature height are, but I’ll have to wait.

Check out the above post if you’re interested in helping give direction for plants developed specifically for the extraction industry.

Tons of that data is already on the web, want to breed for a specific trait in theory is as easy as finding two plants which have that gene then breed, them test the progeny.

How much data/information does Phylos give their customer, I have a feeling they only release basic information.

Yeah a simple search on NCBI/ BLAST you can find the whole cannabis genome, different cannabinoid syntheses, etc. You can easily align multiple sequences to find the specific loci you’re looking for and compare the different alleles to find what causes the variation.

However there are TONS of things that haven’t been published on an open source database… think of all the info companies like Phylos have… I know of companies doing genetic transformations to have plants synthesize cannabinoids on the epidermal tissue of fan leaves instead of just flowers… things like that aren’t on the open web.

7 Likes

Have you been able to stabilize cbg?

yea we think we have one we are ready to release in clone form. about to dedicate 3k sqft to production of clones and then feminized seeds. looking to contract it all to a single farmer…

Why just one farmer? Where are you located?

I was around a few years ago when they started and Sam Skunkman (David Waston) was signing their praises. I didn’t trust them (or him) then, and I don’t trust them (or him) now.

And now it seems they may have stolen the genetic material people sent in to them for free, for testing when they were running their pilot program (to create their Galaxy), or at least Phylos appears to have used the data they collected for their undisclosed plan to put those very same growers and breeders out of business, and used it to create products (seeds) and breeding services they are now selling.

They want to replace all current cannabis cultivars and chemovars with their genetics. They want Big AG to take over. The are the antithesis of this forum, which is built on sharing and being open soucre.

Lots of stink on this company. I called it from day one. They just seemed way too shady.

Here’s one of their founders talking at an cannabis event:

“All the cannabis that’s around now will be replaced by varieties that will be optimized and specialized, and we’re going to be the company that makes those.”

“We have huge barriers to entry protecting us.”

“It would be impossible for anybody else to collect this data set.”

“Cultivators can’t do real breeding on their own.”

“Our core business is plant breeding, we had to build two other businesses to support that…so we built an entire testing business to create all that data.”

“We have a really unusual advisory board. They are not there for show… Ron started and ran a couple of seed companies that he sold to Syngenta, he worked for Syngenta for years and is now the CEO of a spin-out company from there. And Barbara until recently was the VP of technology acquisition for all of Dow / DuPont. So, having these guys around is just critical for us, because we’re building a company that is ultimately going to be acquired by that universe.”

Lots to read here:

Phylos Bioscience sparks outrage after announcing their beginning their own breeding

2 Likes

just how we prefer to run our business. rather get big checks from one party consistently than search for small sales.

2 Likes

Precisely. And PCR.

1 Like