Statement from Oregon CBD on 2020

Holy shit… That was a fun read, added about 10 new tabs to my browser

3 Likes

nah, unlike Stephen Hawking where we only have a single copy, we can make thousands of clones from a single cannabis plant and keep trying till we get it right.

accidentally delete the wrong gene?
toss it and try again…

the less sophisticated approach is to chuck Ems mutagenized pollen and go phenotype hunting. we’ve been doing that for a long time in other plants…

the implication that missing might create a monster that will destroy the cannabis industry is just plain silly.

1 Like

Yes, it’s a rabbit hole for sure. Nuclear history is a fascinating thing. Glad you could enjoy

3 Likes

I was stationed at NPTU Goose Creek, NPTU Ballston Spa, and aboard the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN69). They closed down Idaho because spouses were losing their minds in the middle of nowhere heh.

3 Likes

How would you check for off target deletions? Pretty tough in this organism unless you have a PacBio Sequel II sitting around.

As much as I appreciate what you are saying, we are talking about the cannabis industry in the midst of a green rush here–you must have more faith in humanity than I.

2 Likes

I hear you.

I would argue that either you hit the target or you don’t. If you fuck up other things, it just doesn’t work for what you were attempting to achieve.

Kill it and move on…or study it to see if you got lucky.

Rumor has it that we got here by mutation. From chemicals hanging out on magic dirt. It’s not humanity I’ve got faith in :shushing_face:

See sequence it all and let god figure it out.

Edit: we are going to need full edit capabilities on our genomes if we are going to try and out run the viruses that will keep coming at us as our numbers increase (if our numbers actually continue to increase). Imo it’s not the tool you need to worry about, it’s the guy defining the intended target.

Your concern about off target edits is absolutely valid if you’re doing edits on an extant human. So long as don’t have to keep your fuckups, it’s not a huge issue

3 Likes

Like @cyclopath said. If an off target deletion occurs, that’s not going to create a new harmful gene. The worst that’s going to happen is you deactivate a gene in the plant. If it doesn’t work, don’t breed it. Just chunk it and try again. That’s the usual protocol for crispr. Sometimes you have to try the same thing 10 times before you can get crispr to do what you want it to. It’s not a very reliable tool, but it’s still more efficient than techniques like zinc finger nucleases and more precise than restriction endonucleases. And, there’s quite a bit of info out there regarding cannabis genome data, if you know where to look. The complete cds and lots of other data can be found on ncbi. BLAST comparisons of thca synthase genes are interesting.
To check for off target deletions you can always have your dna product sequenced. You know what sequence your intended product needs to have, so if it’s different, then you fucked up somewhere. Genewiz is good for sending in samples for sequencing. Some hospitals and universities do sequencing for pretty cheap as well.

2 Likes

if you want a plant to spike in thc and absorb heavy metals. dont provide it what it wants. if you want to see gene expression…the key is high brix levels…aka healthy plants.

1 Like

im looking at your screw presses, i have a shit ton of shake (never processed) that has a lot of oil in it. i hung dry and only processed the flower using high end co2 extraction using cool clean tech to process the flower. mind you this was my 1st yr and knew nothing. so i have tons of dried shake in storage. ive seen your videos on mct oil extraction. im so glad you are here.

1 Like

What was the CBD percentage on that plant?

Thank you! They seem to doing very well out there. Just eclipsed 200 presses in the hemp industry. Very few ever come back except to scale up so that tells me people are getting value from them.

DM me your email and I can send you test results for Coconut MCT.

This is what we have tested

1. Freshly harvested hemp - we pressedd 76% moisture fresh hemp and measured the moisture after pressing. 50% reduction by water weight. Under .5% CBD in press liquor. Have COA

2. Dry hemp soaked with ethanol. 3 parts hemp 1 part ethanol. We measured moisture results of as received, press cake, 3:1 slurry, and the press liquor. We have a COA on as recieved material but have not gotten one on the press cake.

3. Coconut MCT - we took in some post process waste material of someone using a hydrolic press to see if we can do better. I think we got an additional 9% liquid out. No COA though.

We are trying to get some COA’s on the material we press to confirm the 98+% removal of CBD our customers are claiming.

2 Likes

You guys have come incredibly far since I spoke with you back in March of 19. Keep up the good work and the excellent transparency.

4 Likes

Is it true that you guys are patenting the rights to cross an autoflowering plant with a photo?

3 Likes

Thanks for pegging my blood pressure, i’m not sleepy anymore. Waiting eagerly for a response to this.

I don’t know if the claims are even legitimate but this link has been floating around lately and people are bugging out CROSS-HYBRIDIZATION OF DISTINCT HOMOZYGOUS CANNABIS PLANTS TO PRODUCE CONSISTENT EARLY FLOWERING SEEDS - JACK HEMPICINE LLC

2 Likes

Yeah, I refuse to do business with confirmed patent assholes so I’m very curious. The bs excuse of “we’re patenting it to prevent monsanto from doing it” doesn’t hold weight when people begin trying to enforce their claims. If a company invents a truly new and novel tech, by all means, patent away. But companies trying to snag patents on public knowledge should be driven out of business.

6 Likes

I am neutral, I’ve got no skin in the game here. I’m not a grower. mainly just want to know if it’s true since people on other groups are going nuts

1 Like

autos and photos have already been crossed…anyone thinking they can patent it is ridiculous; and if so F U for having no morals lol… ill cross autos and photos just to break the patent lmao they dont have control over backyard growers or just growers in general that “donate” seeds thats a ridiculous state of mind for someone to have especially a “breeder”… your no breeder if you try to patent/hoard something, your a troll under a bridge (your bridge)

T1 in hydro that had 0.0% thc tested at 8% cbd. In soil, clones from the same plant tested .32% total thc and 16.25% cbd.

2 Likes

Could you talk about any differences in apparent terps?