Statement from Oregon CBD on 2020

So we know that the ecosystem is perfect right now? Ecosystems change. Throughout history over 99% of species were born and went extinct. And here we are pretending like we know what the best future for ecosystems will be. We can’t even forsee earthquakes or volcanoes. We can’t know what the environment is going to be next year. Environmental change = evolutionary progression = changing ecosystems.
There are too many unpredictable variables for us to even know what’s going on, so why act like we do and limit research and progression? All we can do is try. If we don’t take risks and try to make progressions in GE, then we will have lost so much potential in saving lives.

And Killer bees kill 2 people per year. That’s nothing. There are bigger problems to worry about

Really, it’s just a difference in opinion. I do really appreciate the argument. I’m always willing to accept that I might be wrong, but those are my thoughts. I don’t think there’s a definitive answer. I’m just glad we’re discussing this on future4200. It’s exciting. I want to see people here doing more genetic engineering. It’s so accessible now and there are so many intelligent people on this forum, we could really see some cool modifications being done if people got into it.

3 Likes

Yeah, definitely a good debate. In all honesty, I’m in favor of the research but only by labs with a CDC level of control (though not them specifically).

Edit: Maybe a project along the lines of the Large Hadron Collider? Joint venture with the WHO or something of that nature.

But that’s how you create the insurmountable increase in class gaps you spoke of. It needs to be available to everyone in order to prevent that.

The thought was that the WHO would oversee a joint public venture between established nations, with allotted time for Universities to experiment.

The problem is they can use CRISPR to put an edited gene into a host which then can spread the gene sequence through a whole population

We dont really know what can happen when you play God, and we dont know how editing the dna of a whole species will play out

Turning on or off one gene usually effects other things.

1 Like

You just answered your own question…

To me its like building a reactor without an understanding of ionizing radiation and fission product decay.

1 Like

Theres no way you can predict how changing a gene in a species will effect it

For example they want to change the DNA of the brown field mouse so it cant get lime disease anymore

What if lime disease is what keeps the population in check and by changing that gene you make the mouse population explode?

Who knows what else will be affected

It’s crazy to think about

I’m not against CRISPR, just if its gonna be used as a gene editing technique on a whole POPULATION

That’s fucked because you cant reverse it

4 Likes

From this post I see an ad for CBG seeds and I think people should tread lightly investing in CBG this year because the price is about to plummet

4 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, with the caveat that CBG is now showing promise in eradicating MRSA. If it moves into human trials successfully, the demand will be un-meetable.

1 Like

You think they’re going to let us sell it if it’s being used for something like thaf? It will be GW pharmaceuticals all over again.

4 Likes

excellent point. they’d probably produce it with yeast cultures for pharma anyway.

That wouldn’t be as easy to scale, I just think they will monopolize who gets to grow it legally. Are there any patents in the works yet for CBG drugs?

It would mean shutting down the cannabis industry as a whole, since CBG can be extracted from seedlings.

Well no I think they would just target companies selling it anyway. But it would most likely just sit in a grey area like CBD does now where we can sell it but can’t say it does anything of value.

1 Like

Really not trying to be a smartass here, but I’d love to see genetically engineered football/rugby players, boxers, etc. The mutant olympics would be one hell of a site to see as long as those participating are willing and educated before undergoing gene therapy. If we are okay fucking up the planet in so many other ways (thousands of amps for extraction, solvent generation, transport and waste, fertilizer, disposable carts with batteries) then why not at least test the boundaries of genetics. We already know how badly these other things harm our planet and the potential of our species’ survival, so the more knowledge we have about how our own genetics work, the better. Along the way we might figure out how to eliminate diseases, live longer and happier, etc.

6 Likes

This is two early nuclear “oopsies” lumped into one chunk of plutonium. Two very intelligent and educated people, made fatal mistakes during the research, while their field was in its infancy.

If your scientific “oopsie” can genetically modify populations as opposed to just kill you…fuck…that’s some heavy shit

2 Likes

My favorite, and one we covered in Navy nuclear power extensively: SL-1 - Wikipedia

1 Like

Its funny…because the civilian side of navy nuclear power doesn’t cover that one at all.

You ever looked at the INL on google maps? Its horribly ironic, the metal roofing used, reflects light to look magenta. Some local buildings with blue metal roofs do the same thing.

I find nuclear history kinda interesting for many many reasons…

1 Like