Statement from Oregon CBD on 2020

I saw the same results in PA, with different genetics. If you are in a total THC state having to harvest to harvest mid August seems silly when your plants aren’t even at 50% of their potential CBD content.

1 Like

ah, but you can…

assuming you can build one gene-drive, you can also build it’s counter-point.

Evaluating strategies for reversing CRISPR-Cas9 gene drives

6 Likes

Ty for stepping in, @Ruwan was telling me you’re a smart cookie when it comes to genetics

Crispr doesnt scare you at all?

1 Like

The lead in the glass vlocks quite a bit of uv. Swap pit your good glass for low e glass, or lead free. Take measurement to any glass company.

Mine were about 80.00 a hood, x 6 hoods.

2 Likes

sure it does…but folks smarter than me have sat down and figured out a number of strategies for backing out if things go sideways…before we started building gene-drives (or at least before considering letting them loose).

just like folks sat down in 1975 when we figured out that we actually had all the pieces to start playing cut and paste with DNA.

it was tell of this conference (around 1978) that set me on my path…

3 Likes

Yeah you need quartz glass to get the UV but you will also need sunscreen and shades :wink:

2 Likes

Cannabis is one of the more polymorphic and repetitive genomes to be found in plants (74%) and MANY key genes share highly similar sequences (such THCA, CBDA, and CBCA synthases). Off-target deletions can and will occur when CRISPR is used on an organism like this. I think it is 100% reckless to even consider using an approach like that with the limited level of understanding we have of the genome. Biohacking cannabis via CRISPR without really detailed whole genome data is akin to a small animal veterinarian performing neurosurgery on Stephen Hawking.

RE: CBG. The FDA is sending out warning letters to CBD companies. They can’t regulate CBG in the same way and it does similar things. It might take a minute for consumers to warm up to idea, but it works for so many maladies in so many different people that it is truly just a matter of time. Also, most of the “CBG” seed being sold right now is not likely to work out. How many companies did field trials demonstrating stability and actual CBG content before selling seed? I know of only one (mine) and it took us 3 years to get to that point.

8 Likes

Great post Adam, thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

See our IG post from earlier this week. The CBDA synthase is largely responsible for THCA accumulation in type III plants. If you clone the gene in vitro and feed it CBGA, you get 23 parts CBDA and 1 part THCA back. We are still convinced that CBCA genes do this as well, but they are not expressed as much in flowering plants.

6 Likes

In Idaho?

My dad was a naval nuclear engineer on a submarine for 15 years before he got promoted to commissioned officer and went into naval intelligence. His brother was an instructor at the Idaho naval nuke school for like 30 years

3 Likes

Holy shit… That was a fun read, added about 10 new tabs to my browser

3 Likes

nah, unlike Stephen Hawking where we only have a single copy, we can make thousands of clones from a single cannabis plant and keep trying till we get it right.

accidentally delete the wrong gene?
toss it and try again…

the less sophisticated approach is to chuck Ems mutagenized pollen and go phenotype hunting. we’ve been doing that for a long time in other plants…

the implication that missing might create a monster that will destroy the cannabis industry is just plain silly.

1 Like

Yes, it’s a rabbit hole for sure. Nuclear history is a fascinating thing. Glad you could enjoy

3 Likes

I was stationed at NPTU Goose Creek, NPTU Ballston Spa, and aboard the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN69). They closed down Idaho because spouses were losing their minds in the middle of nowhere heh.

3 Likes

How would you check for off target deletions? Pretty tough in this organism unless you have a PacBio Sequel II sitting around.

As much as I appreciate what you are saying, we are talking about the cannabis industry in the midst of a green rush here–you must have more faith in humanity than I.

2 Likes

I hear you.

I would argue that either you hit the target or you don’t. If you fuck up other things, it just doesn’t work for what you were attempting to achieve.

Kill it and move on…or study it to see if you got lucky.

Rumor has it that we got here by mutation. From chemicals hanging out on magic dirt. It’s not humanity I’ve got faith in :shushing_face:

See sequence it all and let god figure it out.

Edit: we are going to need full edit capabilities on our genomes if we are going to try and out run the viruses that will keep coming at us as our numbers increase (if our numbers actually continue to increase). Imo it’s not the tool you need to worry about, it’s the guy defining the intended target.

Your concern about off target edits is absolutely valid if you’re doing edits on an extant human. So long as don’t have to keep your fuckups, it’s not a huge issue

3 Likes

Like @cyclopath said. If an off target deletion occurs, that’s not going to create a new harmful gene. The worst that’s going to happen is you deactivate a gene in the plant. If it doesn’t work, don’t breed it. Just chunk it and try again. That’s the usual protocol for crispr. Sometimes you have to try the same thing 10 times before you can get crispr to do what you want it to. It’s not a very reliable tool, but it’s still more efficient than techniques like zinc finger nucleases and more precise than restriction endonucleases. And, there’s quite a bit of info out there regarding cannabis genome data, if you know where to look. The complete cds and lots of other data can be found on ncbi. BLAST comparisons of thca synthase genes are interesting.
To check for off target deletions you can always have your dna product sequenced. You know what sequence your intended product needs to have, so if it’s different, then you fucked up somewhere. Genewiz is good for sending in samples for sequencing. Some hospitals and universities do sequencing for pretty cheap as well.

2 Likes

if you want a plant to spike in thc and absorb heavy metals. dont provide it what it wants. if you want to see gene expression…the key is high brix levels…aka healthy plants.

1 Like

im looking at your screw presses, i have a shit ton of shake (never processed) that has a lot of oil in it. i hung dry and only processed the flower using high end co2 extraction using cool clean tech to process the flower. mind you this was my 1st yr and knew nothing. so i have tons of dried shake in storage. ive seen your videos on mct oil extraction. im so glad you are here.

1 Like

What was the CBD percentage on that plant?