Functional Genomics/Breeding

doesn’t mean they’re not leading the pack as far as having the data.
just means they’re not sharing.

it would be awesome if the public interface to their “galaxy” had usable data. it really doesn’t. not sure there isn’t a pay to play version coming soon.

not particularly upset that they failed to hire me 1/2 dozen times.
especially now they’ve shown their hand.

2 Likes

doesn’t mean they’re not leading the pack as far as having the data.
just means they’re not sharing.

I agree they’re leading the pack: by stealing data from everyone who sent in samples under the premise it wouldn’t be used for anything other than Galaxy and sending them the results of their samples.

I agree with the other parts of your post.

And I too would say I’m not upset I didn’t take Sam Skunkman (from Hortipharm BV) up on the offer to meet in him San Fran to talk about working with him years ago.

David (Sam Skunkman) and Phylos are in league together, or at least they were.

It was fairly obvious from day one that their strategy was to get folks to pay them to accumulate this data…at least for those with any grasp on molecular genetics.

Gathering it without that income stream would have been far more difficult.

The fact that most folks had no idea what the data was worth doesn’t change the fact that it was a brilliant strategic move.

They didn’t steal the strains, they sequenced them (at least partially) and accumulated data. They now know (or have good guesses) for the genes & alleles responsible for most of the agronomically important traits.

Good science and good business?

Certainly better than a lot of the “plans” I’ve seen.

Solid ethics?

Not close enough to really have a good take on that.

Certainly don’t see any reason to call them evil just because they nailed the data acquisition.

1 Like

Last I’ll write about Phylos in this thread. I don’t want to derail it.

It’s the data they stole. That’s the whole issue. They said they would only use it to create publicly available Galaxy, and to give the test results to the people who shared the samples. They also argued that by sending in samples grower and breeders can protect their genetics through prior art I believe.

At first, Phylos worked with Open Cannabis Project. And a main person at Phylos was from OSU I think (it’s been years so I’m not postive), along with SamSkunkman telling everyone they’re legit and to send in samples.

Phylos always claimed they were doing it for the greater good and to protect growers, and so they can publish data publicly to help everyone.

No breeder or grower paid them for testing, at least not when they started in 2014-2015. It was all free. All you had to do was send samples to OSU (I think that’s where they were sent), or send them to SamSkunkman and he would forward them to Phylos/OSU. So they could build their Galaxy to help move cannabis science forward.

If Phylos was honest from the start they would have gotten quite a few takers, but they weren’t.

I don’t blame the people who fell for their lies. I do blame the Phylos for lying and stealing data from breeders and growers.

1 Like

Sam the skunk man was working with GW years ago this is no surprise now

They aren’t sharing interpreted data, but a lot of the raw data is available out the back door through public databases.

2 Likes

@cyclopath I swear I wish I knew a 10th of the stuff in yo brain man… I bet when Google has a question they call you… lol

2 Likes

Id love to get in contact about the possibility of running some of your material for flower production in our winter / spring crop.

1 Like

We are seeking feminized seed production of our genetic Hempress.3. We own the full rights to the Hempress 3 Cultivar. You can learn more and see documentation of this high CBD to THC ratio Total THC Compliant genetic at Hempress3 .com. We are partnering with farmers in several regions across the US to produce feminized seeds, seedlings, clones and flower, as well as pheno sorting, trait hunting and breeding Hempress.3 for continuous improvement and new hybrid lines. Please contact us if you may be interested.

I’m aware of a startup focused on this that opens its doors in the next few months. Otherwise, isn’t that what Phylos has pivoted to?

Yep i think so to
Envy is a sin but hmmm

Replied to the wiring person

1 Like

The plants were given freely. The data was gathered and the “galaxy” shared with all. It’s the leverage gained by having ALL the data at their fingertips that some seem to object to.

Not sure you meant to “reply” to me either…

1 Like

Sorry, I’m new to this. I meant to reply back to anon87263109

Where does it show they stole anyone’s genetic data? Medicinal Genomic (a competitor) did suggest this - maybe because they are a competitor? I would imagine it was to damage their reputation. The founder didn’t do them any favors in the media. But as far as I read, they said they didn’t use anyone’s data. If they say that, it seems they didn’t or they would open themselves up to actual liability. They are a company concerned with those sorts of things, right?

There were other suggestions that they stole plants - jurassic park anyone (dead tissue was a requirement of submission)?! HAHAHAHA. Fucking idiots like Riot out there suggesting they were taking dead tissue and reanimating it with a gene gun! That’s proof enough to not trust Riot with anything - if people didn’t know that already. I have to wonder if they showed that a plant he ‘bred’ was really OG Kush our something.

None of those articles or anyone’s info that I can find (so far) seem to show any smoking gun. It seems that all this came from a jealous competitor. He is still blasting them on insta - haha. What is interesting is that he admitted to sequencing samples submitted to the 2016 or 17 Emerald Cup then publishing them and using (stealing) the data without permission of the submitters. When asked about it recently he deleted the question from insta. Sus!