Fraction Finder Reviews

I am looking forward to checking out the Pigment Tracker when we are in San Diego for our class with @WaxPlug1. Its cool to see more people making devices in the area.

8 Likes

that has been my experience with it on the outlet of a centrifuge while spray washing.

no indication whatsoever that it can see the cannabinoids. it claims to see chlorophyl and fats/waxes…

gonna have to go back to sampling obsessively for HPLC/GC analysis to dial in my process.

4 Likes

At some point @arometrix and @spdking will have to acknowledge that the fraction finder doesn’t work as advertised.

If you want any help adapting it to be a Pigment Tracker let me know.

5 Likes

I’m sure there are a lot of people who would benefit if you were willing to share that knowledge with the class.

8 Likes

Sounds like a good opportunity for a consult, I wouldn’t be so eager to share that information.

With that said, I’m pretty sure @AlexSiegel gave enough information for a tech savvy person to figure it out in another thread.

If I was looking to turn my fraction finder into something other than a paper weight, I’d just consult alex.

6 Likes

Here is some data that demonstrates that the fraction finder does not see cannabinoids but rather sees residual pigment.

First image is a control of 0g cbd isolate in 20mL ethanol.

Second image is .2g CBD isolate in 20mL ethanol, or 10x the concentration @arometrix claims to detect.

Third image is 2g CBD isolate in 20mL ethanol. You can see a distinct double peak shape within the hump.

Fourth image is .1g CBD distillate in 20mL ethanol. The fluorescent light is clearly coming from a non cannabinoid source.

@spdking here’s the white paper^

When small amounts of pigmented oil are used the fluorescent response is huge. When large amounts of cannabinoids are used the pigment fluorescence is eventually visible.

Clearly the sensor doesn’t work as advertised.

However it does work great as a Pigment Tracker

9 Likes

All that you have to do to convert the fraction finder into a Pigment Tracker is purchase some 20mL glass scintillation vials off of amazon

Nicunom 30 Pack Clear Glass Sample Vials with Screw Cap, 20 ml Liquid Sampling Glass Bottles Screwcap Sample Vials Amazon.com

9 Likes

Literally paid like 8k for a device (the FF ultra) that your 500 dollar device destroys

@arometrix do you have any refutes to these claims?

Youre about to have alot of pissed customers if @AlexSiegel is right (and tbh I trust him more then you guys by far…)

@Lincoln20XX didn’t you say it didn’t detect any cannabinoids either when you used it?

7 Likes

Tends to be what happens when someone rushes to market a product just to compete with someone who already has a product out there; without proper testing before making claims about what it can do.

So @spdking went on to make a big stink about our DaVinci Sensor and how it was a lie and guided customers away from our unit to buy his instead… Guess time always reveals the truth.

I remember him saying it can see everything. From terpenes to vapors to solvents and cannabinoids. Plus it could apparently tell the concentration of the cannabinoids and identify each in the mixture because of his UV identification. It is apparently so accurate he calls it a “dedicated hplc analyzer” and can see individual cannabinoids without a chroma column to separate them. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :skull_and_crossbones:

He kept saying that because we don’t have UV our sensor cannot detect anything. But have we all forgotten how we observe far away planets to determine what they are made of? Not to mention that @spdking swears the Beer-Lambert Law is quackery / hokey-pokey bs science. :man_facepalming:

We have discussed open-sourcing before, the only thing we are really missing is a proper space to host the release. Somewhere everyone can put in their two cents and contribute to the technology. The hardware to build your own sensor is not that expensive. Just need some basic soldering skills, a micro-controller, and a 3d printer.

5 Likes

Update your system buddy! Your running two versions back. What’s your custom wavelength? Also let’s see the other display. You often get a better picture if you see the signal intensity over time this is the most useful part when analyzing the data.

from a vial sitting in the detector?

maybe if you’re looking at/for photodegredation…

The device can be helpful (to some), while not actually tracking cannabinoids. it has just not yet proven itself useful to me yet. your use case may vary.

It’s a better visualization for the resulting data.
Especially for things were you do not get good wave structures. But again this device was setup to track dynamic changes over time. To answer questions like changing fractions.

I’m sure that a more sensitive version wouldn’t help in the slightest.

All that it would do is lower the detection threshold for all of the compounds, pigments included.

More sensitivity may result in the same spectra at lower concentration of pigments but it won’t add new peaks that aren’t showing up on the old version.

1 Like

that is ONE use case. it works for that during distillation BY ACCIDENT if it is not actually seeing cannabinoids.

given

I’d say it’s NOT about the temperature at which the fluorescence signal is sought…which might have been the difference between it working for distillation & not on the exit port of a recirculating spray wash centrifuge. in my use case, one would expect cannabinoids to plateau as either saturation was reached or all available cannabinoids had been extracted. won’t work if it’s not seeing my target.

hasn’t worked.

above suggests it can’t SEE my target.

1 Like

This is not cannabis , What you see is a change in dissolved fluorescence compound. Over time as it is being extracted into the ethanol.

2 Likes

not cannabis so not cannabinoids?

or “hemp”

I see the plateau I suggested. except when using cannabis or hemp. then I only see it on the non-cannabinoids “channels”.

Nope, Many substances talked about on this forum fluoresce. :sunglasses:

1 Like

so that disproves “it doesn’t see THC/CBD” at the claimed concentrations how?!?!

(doesn’t it actually DISPROVE the hypothesis that the signal is from THC or CBD?)

the point is that cannabinoids don’t fluoresce well enough for this to work as claimed for cannnabioids.

if it DID, I would EXPECT to see exactly what you do. which is why I called arometrix up and asked them if they could build a version with a triclamp interface for my fuge like three years ago. they built it. didn’t get me a prototype to test. @Lincoln20XX did. I could never get it to work. in multiple installations. it did NOT agree with HPLC/GC results for when the cannabinoids were ACTUALLY gone. I loaned it to @thesk8nmidget and he had some joy using it for chromatography, except it leaked, and was tracking something other than the target. He bought one. We’ve got it plumbed to a CUP-30. not seeing anything like the expected time course or static traces.

does it work when you heat shit up? dunno. that’s on the list too…

4 Likes

You see blue.image

vs absorbance spectra

1 Like