First try at diamonds, advice needed, please

right tool: DIN wrench.

available at glacier tanks.
https://www.glaciertanks.com/din-fittings-round-nuts.html

maybe @precisionnick can share the tool they suggested for tightening DIN sightglasses back in 2015. I won’t.

Picture below are the oil filter wrench I picked up at St Vinnies, and a decent approximation of a DIN spanner. I used the oil wrench to get the sight-glasses on that PX1 tightened down for my initial pressure test when the PX1 first arrived.

I think it took me another week or two to run into that ($6?) spanner. Which is (pretty close to) the right tool for the job.

looks to be one of these Forestry Spanner Wrench - Double Ended (so not an actual DIN spanner).

if I recall correctly I picked mine up at Pacific Rubber.

5 Likes

Heres a link to s&h spanner, measure your sight glass ring before you order though.
http://shproductsinc.com/product/double-ended-spanner-wrench-4/![20181111_104438|374x500](upload://5szx4PrzlG9EXdnIxmDiNgLtLBQ.jpg)
This is what I got at Lowe’s, home depot supposedly has a better one according to oss if used as pictured it works great, however it slipped and laced my knuckles open…
& update: they are both holding a solid 90 psi, I’ll leave em for a while, maybe go to 110 120 tops

2 Likes

This is what I use to tighten all my sight glasses. It’s long and I can get a ton of leverage on it. I think $10 at harbor freight.

16 Likes

What the sam hell is a seed crystal and seeding

2 Likes

A seed crystal is a crystal that is placed in a saturated solution to encourage crystal growth.
Thats in the same general ballpark as etching the bottom of the crystalazation dish.

4 Likes

crystals grow by adding new molecules to an existing structure. without a seed, that “existing structure” is a single other molecule. it’s much harder to run into a buddy and stick than it is to run into an iceberg…

5 Likes

https://future4200.com/uploads/default/original/2X/2/2372e5045d91eb8ce68a52718f6193fbc2662530.MP4 https://future4200.com/uploads/default/original/2X/8/8e1b2354025f5f7ff81c3b36bdad3f3ad42a28dd.MP4

I can’t open these

Very informative. Thanks for sharing. I am running my first batch now. It’s been two days and it appears to be forming pretty good. Any thoughts?

@pangea those look really nice. Thanks for sharing. :+1:

too little solvent… add more tane or some heat

1 Like

Can someone tell me if im doing something wrong, i dont want to open it up but it doesnt seem to seperate. Ive been doing jar tech method with using the oven at the end to purge.

place mixture in jar and let it sit in the oven at 90 for 12 hours or till its settled.
cap it and cover the glass with a sock (in case of explosion so it doesnt go everywhere and something about uv i was told?) and leave it for 3 weeks
take out of that place than put back into oven at 90 for another week.
seperate the sauce and diamonds than put back in oven for a few more days at 90.

i think im missing some steps here or maybe overdoing it.
im thinking i should just
put mixture in jar and let it reduce in oven.
take it out and cap it and put it back in oven for 3 weeks at 90.
i shoud see significant growth from what im reading just from that? id prefer to do it without seeding

thanks!

1 Like

do you find youre tightening your sight glass often? i have never had to so im curious

1 Like

This is what I do and get great results every time,

• do a CLS run, recover until there’s just enough solvent left so you can pour cleanly
  • pour your contents into a jar
  • depending on how much solvent is left, I usually let it evap outside at ambient temp a little bit with the lid on loose so nothing can get in the jar, but gas can escape
  • when the solvent has reduced until it’s close to a honey consistency (still solvent in there, almost water thin) I close the lid tight and let it sit.
  • check on it periodically for the next few hrs to ensure you don’t have too much pressure in there (if the lid bulges or deforms, I burp it slightly)
  • let it sit somewhere at room temp for 2-3 weeks, don’t touch it or move it, just forget about it
  • come back and pour your terps into another jar
  • purge both on low to no heat, low vac, slowly raising vac over the course of a few days until no reaction occurs
  • dab it up!

Sometimes on stubborn strains I will place the jar in the oven on low heat (~70-80F) as it helps promote separation, but lately as i’ve dialed in my process I find room temp works the best.

14 Likes

You better check it occasionally if runningg w dry ice

Other day mid run I noticed something was off…sight glass was loose!

If I’d been doing my every 4 month pressure safety test I bet I’d caught this before running

2 Likes

Your vessels you crystallize in, are up at 200+ PSI?

Do you possibly have your own SOP for this jar-tek? Your work is wonderful

1 Like

Removed

Do you have an SOP my man?

@hwalker
Yep ^^ too easy.
I used pretty much the same method he explained. My CLS column isn’t jacketed tho so we would pack the column and let it sit in the freezer for 24 hours. That helps.
Very short soak time, if any at all. Maybe 1-2 minutes.

Never really needed to crash it out in the freezer, but I know a lot of people on here say that helps.
Just be patient, don’t fuck with it, and let it sit for a few weeks.

3 Likes