FF extract smells like steam distilled terps. How to Ln2 biomass properly

That’s awesome. My lab freezer goes down to -86c and do almost all FF runs and its so much more work since wet/frozen biomass it 75% water. After seeing this I am thinking I should have spent my money on a contraption like this instead of my freezer. Plus the freezer throws off a ton of heat and uses a lot of electricity.

1 Like

Those tumblers are for kiefing. For FF runs it need to go from the freezer to a spool that has DI in the jacket and ran with cold solvent asap.

3 Likes

I thought the last vid was something you made for smaller scale flash freezing with nitrogen not tumbling kief. I was thinking maybe I could build something that just holds a 4-10lbs to use to flash freeze before extracting in my CLS.

1 Like

The 5 gallon homer bucket on the floor. If you have live plants just break them down into the bucket. Take a cryo glove and blast Ln2 into the bucket until its all frozen solid. Funnel is insto a frozen spool, Vac and run your solvent.

4 Likes

Thanks gonna try that. Right now my SOP is
Chop plants, bag, and freeze down to -82c. I also vacuum my empty spools and freeze to same temps. After 24hrs I pack frozen tubes and freeze another 24hrs. Then I run through my CLS fast using a blend frozen down to -62c. Everything goes through a separate sleeved dewax column before the collection pot.
Using LN2 will save me time/labor.

2 Likes

@BG305 is this a good guess?

Do you keep it at sub dry ice temps if it’s not extracted immediately?

1 Like

@pangea The problem with s slow drop in temp is the formation of ice crystals. They ruptur cells and encapsulate trichs that are not destroyed.

@SidViscous The container is set to -40f for storage.

4 Likes

That’s what I figured, I appreciate the info!

1 Like

I was more trying to make sense of the 10-20% yield on FF, figuring like baked all day it must be due to a dehydration effect. If your ff pound is 2200 wet and 450 dry, and your pulling 10% outta the 2200g wet, would be basically 50% of the dry, no?

Also very interested in your bucket recommendations.

2 Likes

I have a few lbs of fresh frozen cooled and stored in a chest freezer, just tossed in in Turkey bags. Would you guys recommend just running it as is? Or maybe even dry it out first to release any cannabinoids that would otherwise be trapped in ice?

Once FF is frozen you should not dry it out. You will get tons of chlorophyll and prolly some other stuff you don’t want.

3 Likes

The % of cannabinoids in Biomass has nothing to do with the weight of the bio mass.

How much weight do you lose between fresh and frozen then…? that’ll answer the question

2 Likes

It does in the sense that there is a limit to the amount of cannabinoids or oil yield in a given amount of biomass. Which is what im questioning. You said 10-20% yield on fresh frozen. Do you mean that when converted to the dry amounts or from the fresh with internal water weight present? The numbers I posted of fresh frozen to dry are close to the standard no?

3 Likes

You know the answer. The % of cannabinoids is not affected by the amount of water in the biomass. What is affectieng your yield on deep frozen biomass is the destruction and encapsulation of your cannabinoids.

2 Likes

If I have a wet # of biomass with 10% cannabinoids and i dry that pound out. What is the % of cannabinoids in the dry pound?

2 Likes

The terps are going to yield better wet than dry. So what does that have to do with the % of cannabinoids

1 Like

I am pretty sure @BG305 just had an error on his #'s. Most extractions yield 10-20% from dry starting material. Although if your getting 20% its prolly for distillate where you don’t care how much undesirables you PU cus your gonna distill it anyways.
Wet material is 75% water so if you net 2.5%-5% yield from wet starting material it is actually 10-20% since your material was actually 75% water to start. So a 5% yield on wet starting material is actually 20%. I typically yield about 10% of my wet starting material which is actually 2.5% but its fat free LOL. I can prolly get more with a short soak but not worth it as 1/2 of that will be undesirables.

4 Likes

Its the same amount of biomass. The only thing that changed was we removed the water.

1 Like