Extracting and winterizing while skipping the butane

Yep, if you have some money to waste you can make your own filter, but if your only needing to make a couple OZ of concentrate for personal consumption that will work

Some examples of ethanol hash I made almost 10 years ago using just a Brita filter and cold ethanol/biomass

2 Likes

Flower rosin?

Yeah, that’s not gonna compete for quality with BHO.

Although looking at that last pic of your BHO….

At this point i believe your options have been laid out, perhaps not exhaustively, but reasonably well.

Open blast & use four cases of fuel
Purchase a CLS
Run QWET for EHO
Make crude EHO & learn to distill
Extract with water (3 buckets and a buchner)
Squish. from hash not flower.

You want to go through and tell us again why each of those won’t work for you?

Or pick one and ask any clarifying questions you need answered before you go try it?

Or do you imagine there is another route? One that works so much better that nobody is sharing it with you?

Winterizing your BHO gets you winterized BHO. It does nothing to solve your “fuck that’s a lot of butane required to make hash”.

You are not “winterizing, but skipping the butane”, you are extracting with a different solvent.

To perform your primary EtOH extraction, you want cold solvent. To winterize your BHO, you probably want warm, certainly not below rm temp.

Winterize: How much EtOH to BHO?
Extract: How much EtOH to biomass?

Incubation time? Winterizing, you get it cold and WAIT. Extracting, you start cold, and work FAST.

Not saying you shouldn’t winterize that BHO. Just that it doesn’t actually count as “practice” for extracting with ethanol in any real sense.

One of those options should work just fine. I’ll figure out what I’m going to do and post pics once it’s done. Yes I know winterizing bho gets me winterized bho. It’s practice for winterizing in general, to get me familiar with that part of the process.

You could not find the information you were looking for because you were stuck on “winterizing”.

You still appear stuck there…

If you extract with dri-ice temp EtOH, there is no need to winterize. No need to practice something you will have no need to perform…

The fats and waxes that are not soluble in cold ethanol? Turns out they’re not soluble in cold ethanol. So you don’t have to get the ethanol cold to drop them out, if you got the ethanol cold and didn’t pick them up.

Yes, you can absolutely extract with warm ethanol, then winterize…but if you’re gonna go that route it makes more sense to use a different primary extraction solvent.

2 Likes

I have to winterize that crude no matter what, and for the rest of my trim I’ll figure out what to do after that.

Sure.

You have some BHO that might benefit from winterization. Pretty sure you’re not going to be impressed with the results of simply winterizing that…

@TheWillBilly’s brita trick might well change that…it’s not conceptually far from @TheLostBiologist’s tek @Akoyeh bought to your attention (might even be DE along with the AC in there…)

Below is an EHO shatter. Essentially a qwet filtered over AC/DE.

IMG_9766

insisting on calling winterization “practice” for QWET is not (imo) helping your understanding…but I’ll give up on that one for now.

You could certainly use it as brita practice…

5 Likes

Just felt like this GEM should be quoted.

Seems to me that you shouldn’t be working with chemicals - given the kind of questions you are asking. Don’t accidentally kill yourself or someone else. You can get a stupid cheap rosin press from LowTemp - with a jack from harbor freight. Give your trim some rinses, bag it, dry it (you don’t need a freeze drier, you can use a controlled chilled environment like your fridge - it will just take longer. And then press.

Hell you don’t even have to press it - you could legit, DRY SIFT this material and have a very nice hash available for yourself. Using a very strangely worded “pollen collector” - even though its trichome you are after and not pollen. :wink:

No he is definitely not serious… because then you would need the rest of the evaporation equipment that you have already said that you don’t have.

For reals - if you are just making something fun for you and your friends. Old school hash is just fine. No need to try and get all fancy with it. And if you are going the butane route - why do you feel the need to winterize that stuff to begin with?

@cyclopath laid out all the options pretty nicely and he didn’t even chastise you for needing so many spoons just to get through this thread…

Please just don’t hurt yourself - trying all the things that everyone has mentioned. You could always make really shitty prerolls with your trim (no really!). You could always dry sift your material (get it cold and shake it through a screen).

All of these things are not really meant for doing at home - without at least knowing which side of your body your ass is on and which solvents are flammable. :wink:

4 Likes

Ok, I didn’t “insist” on calling winterization practice for qwet. I called it practice for winterizing crude, because I was going to winterize the crude that I had laying around anyways. I think maybe you misunderstood me. In terms of which process I’m going to use I haven’t decided yet.

I’ve done a ton of open blasts, just never tried to dewax before, or use ethanol extraction (if that’s the direction I’m going to decide to go). I felt the need to winterize in the first place because it comes out pretty waxy. Not having a closed loop at super low temps causes that, right? Sometimes people want to buy it from me so I was trying to improve the quality if I could. Just because I’m asking questions doesn’t mean I’m an idiot.

I get what you guys are saying, if I use ethanol get it to cryo temps and I don’t have to worry about winterizing anything.

As far as the “brita”, are we sure there isn’t any use of silicone gaskets etc in those cartridges? I’ve never cut one open but that would be my concern, that something might break down.

3 Likes

My crude looked pretty shit in that picture. Once I dissolved it in 190 proof everclear it turned pretty damn yellow again. 11 grams of crude, 110ml of everclear. It’s only been in my freezer for an hour and stuff is starting to separate. This is kind of cool. I’ve never done this before. And as far as why bother, people like dabs that’s why. I don’t control that, people like what they like. Yes, I know this is not ethanol extraction, this is winterizing bho. Winterizing it because I don’t have a cls and it always comes out waxy as shit. I’ll decide what to do with my trim soon enough.

Since silicone doesn’t generally dissolve or react in ethanol the only worry would be the miniscule percentage of terpenes, not saying it wont happen but think its doubtful anything would breakdown unless you left it submerged in the mixture for days or used repeatedly without replacing the gaskets, imo, always better options but the fact that a majority of etho centrifuges still use silicone tells me that ones lower on the priority list

3 Likes

I use to use the inline bigger ones for fine particles when doing bulk. They were $35 ones or so meant for under the sink. Cheapest solution i could find with availability pretty much anywhere, worked like a champ for years

3 Likes

Sediment filters, carbon, or both?

1 Like

The crude turned to glass after winterizing. It’s a little dark because this crude is old and had been sitting in its container for months. I’m still undecided on how to do my next run.

So you chose not to run it over activated carbon (through a brita filter)?

Yep, you want shatter, winterizing will usually get you there…it was certainly my approach back when the boss insisted on glass.

I find this to be horrendous bullshit.

If you’re washing especially, QWET Jar Washing then you’re gonna hit fats and lipids that needs post filtration.

Depends on what one calls cold and whether one keeps everything cold throughout the process or not. I have no problem making golden shatter with no winterization, even on a second soak, fifteen minutes per soak.

5 Likes

Have you tried it?

I don’t disagree that cold (-40C and below) ethanol will pick up some fats/waxes, in my experience is that you’ve left enough of them behind for it not to be worth the hassle of trying to drop the ones you did pick up.

6 Likes