Expert witness needed- Ohio criminal case- Hemp/cannabis growers, budtenders/, smokers anyone in region with cannabis and hemp experience

You should see Dalhart, Texas

1 Like

Hopefully we will be able to plead it down to a misdemeanor after 3 days of @thumper expert witness testimony

13 Likes

i would need to get paid lots. My uncle does expert witness testimony in brain injury cases

3 Likes

… Law enforcement officials can use odor perception in an attempt to identify what they perceive to be marijuana. However, in the absence of sensitive analytical analysis (of which there is currently no roadside device which can accomplish accurate tetrahydrocannabinol quantification), they would be forced to first have the samples analyzed by an accredited laboratory/laboratories, prior to conviction.

1 Like

… Odor perception has absolutely nothing to do with distinguishing fiber-type cannabis (hemp) from drug-type cannabis (marijuana). Both plants are of the same genus, with hemp producing minimal amounts of tetrahydrocannabinols and marijuana producing significantly higher amounts. Since the passing of the 2018 Agricultural Improvement Act, the distinction between hemp and marijuana resides at the tetrahydrocannabinol content, with hemp being defined as -0.3% THC. Any plant exceeding that 0.3% threshold is considered marijuana by the DEA and subjected to interstate commerce laws, as per the CSA. Therefore, there is simply no way to distinguish between the two by odor perception. In the absence of sensitive chromatography analysis with verified chain of custody documentation… odor perception holds no merit in a court of law, other than law enforcement personnel using it to recognize a potential cannabis-related substance, which then needs to be analyzed for it’s THC content, prior to being properly identified as either hemp or marijuana.

5 Likes

ArmisticeCC@GMail.com

I run a licensed grow and used to live in Ohio. THC and THCa can’t be detected by smell. Terps can. And terps are in both Hemp and Ganj. If you’re attacking smell, I’d be happy to write a detailed opinion on this.

4 Likes

Welcome to the future @bio_stimz and @JackArmistice! Happy to see new members so eager to help. :smiley:

5 Likes

What did I miss? After all of these people, are you going with @thumper ?

he was joking im too busy trimming weed I could bring my dog in and show her find weed, and then show her find hemp.

1 Like

Well, I guess Arizona did something right by explicitly removing the odor of cannabis as possible probable cause during traffic stops, and expunging records.

3 Likes

I think Il expunged my record? but its goofy, they erased shit that they will still prosecute for today? They always use weed to catch you for some other thing and they still do. I doubt Im ever below some cannabis high threshhold. black people feel targeted but its always stoners that are the main target of police because they have an easy way to claim pc.

We got in our suppression motion end of last week, figuring out expert asap! Thank all of you for reaching out, I’ll be reaching out to you shortly. Thanks @Sidco_Cat for helping spread the word far and wide. Looks like we have found another use for the site. Future4200 expert witnesses!

7 Likes

another cannabis industry side job too. im sure once youve done it and won a case then its an in demand job. Thats how my uncle does it but hes a dr so i think he only does it for patients in his care. I would like to fix the issue where dogs hit on weed in states where weed is legal. Its also ridiculous that some dogs are trained on money? Even on tv shows on VIDEO half the time the dog doesnt indicate and they claim it did. I like when dogs bite people but the whold drug war is bs. Just let the dogs eat bad guys.

I’m glad to be at your service!

2 Likes

Not only is it impossible to determine whether cannabis is hemp or THC cannabis without testing, but it is fairly common practice to use the scent compounds in hemp to produce THC products because they are identical to the consumer.

2 Likes

One angle I did not think of

1 Like

Can confirm, I sell hemp derived terpenes to companies that use them to flavor THC cartridges. I’ll send you some free terps derived from hemp if you want to see how they smell.

Why not just do a Pepsi challenge with some hemp and marijuana side by side?

5 Likes

Good luck I am an Ohio medical marijuana card holder don’t know if I can help but good luck
I always light a cigarette when I see a police officer anywhere near me… I know that doesn’t help non-tobacco users
I also use “ozium” spray in my car to help with smell

I also agree that Leos should not be able to use smell as probable cause
I have a relative who told me I had to be careful as cops could come up and just say “sir I smell alcohol on your breath” and you’re screwed without having drank anything…
Sorry for ranting a bit there
Good luck again

3 Likes

A blind “sniff” test.

Get terps (premixed that most vape companies use) and hemp derived. Put up at 4 samples. Have COAs for all 4. Be sure the hemp derived ones show some CBDA in them and are THC compliant. Tell the cop on the stand that 1 is cannabis terps and the rest hemp derived. All bottles identical (black so they can’t be seen through the container), labeled 1-4 and envelopes containing the COAs of the terpene profiles matching the bottle number with the envelope number. Be sure to use coffee beans to “clear” his/her sense of smell between each sample.

Now for the plot twist….

Have 3 of them hemp derived (3 different strains) and 1 “cannabis” terps (just a bottle of True Terps of whatever brand). Guaranteed he will fail. I did this test with a few people saying hemp terpenes are no good for THC vapes because they weren’t from actual marijuana. Everyone of them failed and they play with these compounds on a daily basis! And terps aren’t even really my thing :joy::rofl::joy:

Now, I believe it was The State of Ohio vs Moore where the judge declared something about being able to attack an officers training in marijuana smell detection. If (and when) he bombs the “sniff” test in front of the judge, then his credibility can be attacked with his training.

5 Likes

Love it.

I was thinking go get some THC mids from an Ohio dispensary ( they have medical right?) And then get some sexy looking indoor hemp and put them side by side.

10 Likes