Expert witness needed- Ohio criminal case- Hemp/cannabis growers, budtenders/, smokers anyone in region with cannabis and hemp experience

I thought of that too…

Just fire that shit up next to the judge, offer him a hit (just to not be stingy).

Yes. Ohio does have medical. Not sure if a court would allow pot in the courtroom though :man_shrugging:t3:

But, GODDAMN would that be some funny shit!

1 Like

So far it only “legal for vaporization” in Ohio
I’ve also been told by multiple cops in Ohio and Indiana that they don’t care about pot
One even told me to be careful smoking that sheeba while driving

1 Like

Fuck… forgot it’s only legal to vape there.

Hemp it’s legal to do anything under the sun, smoking included.

2 Likes

See, this is what I mean. OP is trying to use facts, studies and reason to persuade people who

1. Don’t care about facts

2. Don’t read studies

3. Are unable to reason

While the intentions are admirable, this is ultimately a pointless endeavor.

See, the thing is cops already know the whole “I smell weed in the car” thing is bullshit, they just don’t care. You people need to accept the uncomfortable truth that this isn’t coming from ignorance, this is purposefully and knowingly malignant behavior.

3 Likes

Dude this is for court lmfaoooo

4 Likes

If you want to put your argument in numbers, see if you can find a defined odor detection threshold (ODT) for D9-THC. There is one for just about every chemical that’s been studied but I got inundated with results about drug testing detection times and garbage blog posts about cannabis odor. Obviously could get better results in Google scholar but I haven’t even had my morning coffee yet.

If you can make the argument that it is fundamentally impossible to detect the smell of D9-THC then I think you would be in a good spot. Limonene has an ODT of 38 ppb. Myrcene 13ppb. Both are found in any and every sample of hemp or marijuana at greater levels. When you have a hundred aromatic compounds common to both hemp and marijuana, there is not a chance that someone could smell an odorless resin over the 100+ common chemicals with extremely low detection thresholds. They are smelling aromatic compounds found in every single sample of both plants, obviously not D9.

Patchouli oil also is notorious for creating a false positive for marijuana and that stuff smells nothing like weed— it just has dozens of the same sesquiterpenes. Hops too.

I am going to PM you a law enforcement funded study that puts a lot of this data into context. I think it’s exactly what you need. From there you could easily prove that hemp produces the same chemicals.

7 Likes

The fact that police depts around the nation are having to retire drug dogs trained for cannabis should be pretty telling of an industry shift.

Too Many cases for coke or speed were thrown out merely because the dog was trained to indicate on a legal substance.

There has to be case law in those specific cases just probably not in Ohio.

3 Likes

There is also the case for even if drug dogs are allowed by the 4th amendment some drugs dogs signal false all the time

3 Likes

This is Ohio

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dispatch.com/news/20190812/police-dogs-cant-tell-difference-between-hemp-and-marijuana%3Ftemplate%3Dampart

6 Likes

They smell for terpenes… not cannabinoids.

Beta-caryophyllene is often considered to be in all cannabis and is typically a chosen scent to train the dogs with.

It also happens to be very common in hemp.

1 Like

I guess that the length of the stop is used to determine whether the search is kosher

If it’s a regular time interval it’s good

If it’s deemed a prolonged stop it’s attacks or and you could have what was produced from the search suppressed

2 Likes

The drug dogs are hitting on beta caryophyllene and not THC.

Should be able to easily have that dismissed.

Did you find someone to testify?

I was asked but it looks now like I won’t have the time @Patsykilledtony.

I’m sure someone can step in in my place that is more familiar with terpenes then myself (I’m a cannabinoids kinda guy :wink:).

I do recommend the “sniff test” though I mentioned above. Mentioned the idea to my partners wife (she’s criminal defense) and they are going to start using it.

5 Likes

Send info to Steve@openbookextracts.com,
Might be able to take this on.

2 Likes

Tried to send you a message. Send info to Steve@openbookextracts.com

1 Like

I emailed you

1 Like

Patsykilledtony, I am an attorney dealing with this same issue, but in a different state – though I am raising an additional wrinkle.

Can you please send me your contact info so that we can chat? Bryan@txdefense.net

6 Likes

I emailed you, feel free to call or text

3 Likes

Sprayed with D8 from Oklahoma? :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes