Expert witness needed- Ohio criminal case- Hemp/cannabis growers, budtenders/, smokers anyone in region with cannabis and hemp experience

Seen cops just walk up and say “I smell marijuana” which makes the 7 minutes for probable cause moot.

But, I get what you are saying…

2 Likes

Massillon on route 30. With the legalization of hemp, they retired all drug dogs who were trained in marijuana as they cant be untrained to not hit on hemp/marijuana they have accepted that drug dogs can’t tell the difference

It was a we smell, get out we are searching situation.

There is a split developing where some police departments are acknowledging they need something more then smell to develop probable cause, others where smell alone gives them a blank check.

@HeisenbergInd where abouts are you at?

3 Likes

I’m in metro Detroit area but travel back that way for family a couple times throughout the year. I can just skip them (since they were just up here 2 weekends ago :joy:).

DM me.

2 Likes

I have some data to offer there. There are some very distinct differences between hemp and cannabis essential oils on paper but not ones that a human could reasonably detect.

There is already a law enforcement study outlining the difficulties of this practice where officers were unable to distinguish between a chemical surrogate and bagged cannabis.

3 Likes

Good luck, went to battle with cuyahoga county 20 yrs ago, lost the load but walked free. What was the amount if your able to say

2 Likes

Dogs smell for caryophyllene oxide because it’s pretty much the only aromatic compound that will exist in all cannabis products. Fresh flower, old flower, distillate and basically anything that’s been in contact with a cannabis plant. Caryophyllene oxide basically never evaporates and it’s not something you’d separate easily from cannabinoids. Skunk cabbage smells similar to humans because of the thiazoles but a dog would be no more likely to signal for this over anything else.

Hoppy beer would be much more suitable. Any plant producing beta-caryophyllene would be a valid counter argument. They do not train K9’s with actual marijuana.

Also, depending on the time this arrest took place. A lot of “marijuana” still could have passed as hemp. Depending on the cure method it will be totally normal for 20+ percent THCA indoor-grown material to test under 0.3% D9. Outdoor-grown seems to be proportionately higher in D9. If any lab work sites THCa content in respect to D9 then you could argue it was technically hemp under the old regs. Hell, I still see places selling 10% THCa flower as “hemp” with ND D9 all the time

10 Likes

One would almost think that the argument that the local police retired marijuana sniffing drug dogs due to their inability to tell the difference between marijuana and hemp, that the logical conclusion would be that humans certainly can’t either. In view of the protection of fourth amendment rights of law abiding hemp smokers, police must not use the smell of marijuana as probable cause.

Perhaps see if you can look into what person or people who were responsible for the ending of the drug dog program. See if they can shed any light, and if they will testify. Maybe they could be summoned into the proceedings somehow, and you could get the needed info on examination.

4 Likes

I like cop dogs but I think all the cop dogs trained on weed need to be retired in states where weed is legal.

1 Like

this is what dogs are trained on. I have no idea if theres caryophyllene oxide. my dogs dad was trained on tiny levels of bat poo in the low ppm range and he can find bat poo.

heres another angle you can try-
"Pseudo drugs do not smell like real drugs to humans. They have a distinct smell but this smell is not like that of the real drug.

I cannot comment on a how a dog smells and compares pseudo. I can say this: every dog that is trained on pseudo will always hit on the real drugs. I have heard of dogs that will hit on real drugs that do not hit on pseudo. I have not personally seen this.

I am not a fan of using pseudo drugs after the first couple of weeks of imprinting the drug scent in training. Pseudo drugs are not narcotic. They are therefore not illegal to have. How can a K9 Officer that regularly trains with pseudo testify that his dog only hits on illegal substances? Where does the probable cause go? I would not want to be the officer that has to justify this in court." This is from leerburg dog training site. Leerburg | Q & A Working Dogs

@Sidco_Cat yes our testing shows the aroma comparisons.

Our Scientific Director has decades of experience as an expert witness. I’m sure we can help. He is from Ohio, too.

13 Likes

@Patsykilledtony

Good luck, know plenty in the cbus area probably willing to contribute time and testimony.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/court-ruling-re-establishes-probable-cause-for-cannabis-odor/ar-AALDI0f

We just lost in Oklahoma
I recently got pulled over and put cuffs and car searched then let go on my marry way. They want weight / money. We had tons of personal and they were pissed and uncuffed us. Reason was odor. No ticket or warning or anything. Except they reminded us odor is probable cause.

2 Likes

i thought saying “its hemp” is an automatic release and go on your merry way.

If a cop stopped me for wreeking like cannabis, i thought saying its hemp is enough doubt to let go…guess im wrong. I think my medical card would save me in a lot of instances even in other states where a good lawyer could argue that i needed medication.

3 Likes

It certainly is the smart thing to say if you say anything at all. They still were just hunting and pulling everyone over on that road and searching. It was incredible seeing 6 others pulled over.

3 Likes

Let’s overwhelm the prosecution with expert testimony! Then afterwards, we can have a GLG meet up. :joy:

How bad would the prosecution shit seeing 20 guys/gals out in the hall and @Patsykilledtony telling them when asked, “Oh… these are my expert witnesses”.

Is this being handled by city prosecution or county? If it’s county, is Ferrero still DA?

12 Likes

3 words:

Civil
Asset
Forfeiture

6 Likes

I stored my hemp crop in my house and was told by a lot of people that I reeked of weed.

It would be funny to show up with some freshly cut, dank cbd bud and pass it around like mr mackey doing anti drug ed in south park. No one can tell it from real weed. I stopped selling smokeable hemp because the only people buying very much of it turned out to be reselling as actual weed.

7 Likes

I know a few hemp farmers down my neck of the woods in Ohio…

Can get a dump truck load and just park it at the police station and watch em salivate :joy:

Edit: put a “FREE WEED” sign on the truck to boot and leave the COA on the drivers seat

4 Likes

I had a grocery store refuse to sell me beer after a long day in the hemp fields, because I " smelled like weed"

6 Likes

Have some one show up to the court house with completely legal hemp buds and a coa in there wallet and let security grab them and have your case made for you.

2 Likes