Experiences with Luna Technologies

Hey so I know you said you did 300 lbs of FF in 8 hours, just wondering what the sock sizes are, and may I ask what the run times are, from introduction of gas to pour?

I said 200lbs

Socks are 8"x 36" run times vary from 45-60 minutes in my short amount of experience. But you also start your next run before you pour the current batch so the times overlap a little more in your favor.
For example I could be 35 minutes into my first run and I will get a flashing green light that tells me it is time to replace the material column and in 2-3 minutes I can start my next run. all while the first batch is still processing.

Runs are anywhere from 9kg up to 14kgs of fresh frozen. I have only been running fresh frozen so far. I’ll do some cured runs next week.

4 Likes

Yeah I’m glad my lead op is tall. I need a stepladder.

A pulley/crane setup is a good idea!

1 Like

I’m always using a step ladder. I’m 5’6" though. the oberon would require another step or two for me. lol

2 Likes

My bad, 200 lbs. fat fingered it.

I know what you mean, same thing can be done with the MEP in a way. Thanks a ton for the info, there’s a chance I’ll be wanting to move in this direction eventually.

2 Likes

What’s not to love about a robot with a bomb?!?

I’ve been wanting to get my hands on one for years… It puts the Cannabis in the tube, & then it walks away again

Next trick IS getting her to clean up her act (CRC on command, and do it well).

Rumor has it you have insight on that front?

6 Likes

I do. Still working on an sop but our initial experiments were pretty good.

4 Likes

I 100% agree. Attention to details. We couldn’t hook up the chiller lines because their connections points were too close. Devil is in the Details, Jack.

1 Like

thesk8nmidget, Luna is representing their system to not be in any way an R&D system. They represented to us the system is fully engineered and ready to rock n’ roll, but with our system you can’t even connect the chiller lines as their ports to connect the chiller lines into their skid are to close together.
That said, I think it is more than fair to provide you with an R&D system if it is represented as an R&D system. The problem comes when a company sells an “engineered” system and represents it as such, but it is not. I have no idea if that is what Luna has done, just going off my experience.

2 Likes

Well, I’d like to know how many Luna systems are actually out there and am not all surprised that there have been signiicant problems with their system. We have been tasked with putting together the entire extraction system. We found their “technical” people to not be qualified and I suspect that Luna is really just an assembler of products that you could easily go out and buy yourself. I do not know this for sure, of course.
As an example, the ports for the chiller lines were 1/4" to close and the lines could not be installed accept with piping modifications which is going to make a huge ice-ball in the extraction area.
So, I’d like Luna to tell us all, how many hydrcarbon extraction systems have actually been set up and work. I would not be at all surprised if that number is surprisingly low and the number of systems that have been set up and actually work per spec is next to zero. Again, I do not have first-hand knowledge of this, but would welcome a statement from Jack, the CEO to address this.

2 Likes

I have a similar sentiment as you. The spec sheets that were provided had the wrong information on them so our electrician wired everything up and the max amp ratings they had were if you were using 480v but the whole system is set up for 208v. So all the wire size, breakers and dissconnects for every ancillary equipment had to be redone. Now half that fault is on the electrican for just blindly following cut sheets and not using his head like there is no way this chiller is gonna work on a 40amp breaker even if the cut sheets say so.

4 Likes

We’ve had ours for a year and it was the 21st unit off their line, if I remember correctly.

@johnbigoilco @chrisgeefrye

If either of you want to sell your Luna, please let me know.

2 Likes

I do not have one anymore. I’m team bizzybee and working on making it automated my self. Actually adding flow meters to calculate how much solvent is being used each run and recovered each run. Along with about 3x temp read points and psi’s as the Luna.

According to Luna you will never find one of their units for sale but i find that hard to believe. I know somone else that had 2 Luna’s and they don’t look to be in business anymore. Not sure where there equipment is at tho.

10 Likes

What flow meter are you looking at? I’ve been looking for the same thing

1 Like
1 Like

So what happened to yours? Did you sell it?

Do you mind sharing the name of the company with 2 Luna’s sitting mothballed?

3 Likes

FLOWMETER USAGE: The flow meter Shall be used exclusively with fluids. No gases permitted to flow. Presence of gases could create severe hazard and damage

lots of places in the system where this wouldn’t work. even solvent out from the tank is vapor occasionally…(you know, when the robot gets it wrong and tries filing from the empty tank…which our Luna did repeatedly this week)

8 Likes

https://www.orderazbil.com/ccrz__ProductDetails?sku=CMG+for+Butane+and+Propane

1 Like

Says those are for “gas flow”.

Which may or may not include liquid phase (haven’t deciphered yet)

Edit: manual says low pressure version is 1atm. Medium is 10atm. Temp range -10 to 60C

That certainly makes for liquid butane over at least some of that range…

2 Likes