Exergy Lc02 heat exchanger

I’m about to receive my 1/2" ID / 1" OD heat exchanger from Exergy. Wanting to use LC02, but how do I regulate the pressures and whatnot… basically, how would you do the manifold for it from the LC02 tank?

Thanks for your time

try here: Liquid Nitrogen for CLS

I read that thread earlier… so basically, I just hook up the bottom feed input with my hose coming from my LC02 tank, and on the other output on top, put a 150PSI PRV? And I just throttle the tank to keep up with the phase change? I was looking at some PRV that Swagelok offers that I can vent straight out the room… wondering if that’s all I need?

Sorry, my bad. No idea why I read liq N2.

To keep CO2 liquid you need 70psi, and ideally a prv designed for the task (so it doesn’t ice up). @Graywolf can probably point you at the correct resource if someone else doesn’t beat him to it.

3 Likes

Im wondering if the Swagelok SS-R4S8 would suffice? Connect it to the outlet, and run the hose from my dewar to the inlet…

Nvm. Found the link for the PRV

2 Likes

That coil may not be able to handle the pressure of lc02. Along with the turbulence in the coil wrapping around, would also cause the lc02 to become dry ice and cause a clog. If the inner tubing is rated to handle the external pressure, then you’d be ok.

1 Like

Do you mind sharing what the price was? Did you get the sanitary version or the reg?

edit: @Dred_pirate I just checked the collapse pressure on the 1/2" .065"wall tube, ASTM A312 Stainless Steel Pipes - Bursting and Collapsing Pressures
is 4400psi on that site*.

2 Likes

It seems like it would be strong enough.

Depending on the model the jacket can be around 1000 PSI 200F working parameters.

2 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, Exergy is who Bizzy uses as well… They are expensive, I paid $2400 for the 1"- 1/2" version, and $1300 for the 1/2" - 1/4" version…

3 Likes

They do use the xergy coils, but I don’t use one. I was just making sure that the OP was keeping that in mind, as I didn’t know the pressure rating

3 Likes

Can you make tube in tube coil hx ends with a compression reducer union tee?
https://www.swagelok.com/en/catalog/Product/Detail?part=SS-1210-3-12-8SC11
bore through the 1/2" fitting end, which is the inside tube, the outside tube is 3/4" as are the other two non bored through fitting ends?

Didnt want to make a new thread especially if this is a no go.

1 Like

Sure can! You want a “line” tee as the cool plumbers call it. Normal nomenclature would be 3/4 x 1/2 x 3/4. Just Chuck it up in a vise and ream it out with a 1/2" drill or endmill. I find that for whatever reason the swagelok forgings like to pull drill bits to one side so a good sharp aluminum endmill works best.

2 Likes

cid:0A7A2771-8783-40F9-99A8-9D3939959A21

Has anyone tried the Exergy SF4 tube n Shell heat exchangers?

I’m thinking about trying one of their series 120 (6” x 41.1”) that has 649 1/4” tubes for my butane recovery efforts.

Edit: I’m going to be running a Huber cs200 (or equivalent) at -10 to -20°C to condense butane.

1 Like

SD-04125.PDF (345.0 KB)

https://www.dyplastproducts.com/iso-c1-polyiso

Also, what pipe insulation are some of you using? For awesome temp holding…

Not many chillers are actually that powerful to keep up with this thing. I want one of these over the cs100. Despite the price difference between the two, the cs200 will more than handle what heat load I will be giving it. And the cs100 will just be able to handle it. The big pro refrigeration chillers are actually perfect for that. They don’t go super low and they are extremely, extremely powerful. And around 56k. But, still not a Huber with the warranty they offer.

1 Like

Yeah, I think it would be great on that heat exchanger. I’m definitely buying a cs200 to power the 915w that’s keeping my jackets and solvent tank cold. I was seeing if MTA would be cheaper for the KW power output. Pro Refrigeration does have those nice 20 and 40hp units. Definitely would do the job for condensing butane…

My final layout will have cs200 powering the 915w, and the Pro Refrigeration -50°F for just the heat exchanger. ShopBVV has that Huber 925w for sale for $200k out the door. I called Huber, I would need at the very least a cs330-OD to handle that unit so I threw that out the door weeks ago.

1 Like

That’s what I have cooling my 915. It’s a pretty big ass unit, but half the price or more than the cs200 and holds 45f all day. I would use the pro refrigeration chiller for condensation if they had a good enough warranty

2 Likes