etoh in a regular recovery tank

So I was wondering if I purchase a master cool recovery tank and use it to store 190 proof ethanol would it work?

i dont think so. I think you will have a rusty mess on your hands in no time. Those tanks are carbon steel…If you owned enough of these you will know just the moisture in our gas can rust these out in less than a year. I couldnt imagine putting something 10% water by weight and it not rusting.

Empty water jugs should work. been storing alcohol in some nearly a half year now. 5 gallon buckets from HD should work too.

4 Likes

Thank you. I was just curious because of @cyclopath telling me about the nitropush he did on the PX so I figured maybe using a recovery tank for it.would work as well but I guess that’s why they make.the stainless tanks

nope. I started in and returned to the stock jacketed stainless solvent tank.

I too would be wary of storing ethanol in an unlined steel container.

3 Likes

Looks like I have to save up in the future for a jacketed stainless solvent tank.

So for a nitrogen assisted ethanol cls on budget, i would want to get a jacketed base and modify it to be an etoh tank, right?

Ik about the bucket tek but I’m just so driven to use ethanol in a cls to see what it looks like. Especially in the sight glasses… And cause @cyclopath boosted my curiosity on it .

1 Like

I still have yet to modify my cls base for nitrogen or the top of my lid either but mainly because I’m scared of getting it wrong with butane. So, I prefer to learn how to nitropush with the lesser of two evils.

1 Like

You should get a base with a drain port or dip tube, and also a sightglass

1 Like

Use ptfe gaskets for sure. I have wanted to run etho through a column like this for a while to mess around. As long as you have enough flowing across you should be good, from what I’ve gathered

1 Like

Great idea!!

No need for a diptube. You can recover the solvent right there if you can run your receiver jacket at 120C. Even 75C will work if you use your recovery pump.

Works great. Fuge gets you more solvent back.

I had my setup set so I could clean the base out before I started filtration. Yesterday I extracted with my cls using a packed 1.5Ă—36" and alcohol. I had my base on dry ice to freeze the lipids on site.

I used the top of my extractor as an inlet and the base was being vacuumed down. I sucked down the freezing etoh and let it blast thru and then cut the vacuum.

It worked really well,[ though in all honesty I wouldn’t do this again without nitrogen] but then I had to filter it so I used my 1.5×36 sleeved dewaxing column to filter it further. It’s yellow after right now and I gotta rotovap it today.

Though the whole time I was thinking to myself I wish I had my setup outfitted for nitrogen cause I couldve gotten it to filter quicker.

I used my diaphragm pump (with a particle filter on the vacuum side in hopes of reducing water intake) pushing 20psi to filter.

if the solvent starts cold enough, and you get it through the biomass quickly, your “filter” is the same as for BHO. coffee filter then 1um as it exits the column.

receiver doesn’t need to be cold to wash solvent into it. Unlike butane, you won’t get back pressure if your receiver is at rm temp.

Passive: get receiver to 78C to start making gas, and your solvent/recovery tank & preferably a condensing coil to some number way less than that.

2 Likes