Ethanol Shatter/Crumble into Edible form.

Hey everyone - I have a few slabs of ethanol extract laying around and my grandma has not been able to smoke any of her medicine, “she has coughing fits and it causes her a lot of pain” so I wanted to try and make some of my wax into edible form. We are not exactly sure what the issue is and we have been in and out of neuropathy clinics, hospitals, pain clinics and all kinds of medical facilities. But my grandma is in a lot of pain on a daily basis and I was wondering if this was a simple process? I’ve tried a number of different creams and salves for the specific pain areas. But honestly she just needs some sleep - and all the narcotics the doctors had her on just made her more and more sick. We are trying to get her completely off the stuff but insurance doesn’t cover medical cannabis and she is still in a lot of pain. I have a Rotovap, vac oven, rosin press and about 60g worth of material in shatter/sugar form that I can use.

2 Likes

I post this then I see it in my search bar :man_facepalming:

feel free to ask more questions after you’ve chased that down…it’s pretty straight forward.

and yeah, huffing your meds is not ideal.

Is there any way for me to make it into a quick release like powder that she could mix in a drink or something? I found something giving me the recipe for nerds ropes at 100mg each basically and i’m decarbing some stuff right now. She’s not a huge fan of candy though - so something that would dissolve in tea or something would be great. Idk if I can do that from shatter though.

mix 1 gram extract with 10ml vegetable oil of your choice, eg coconut, mct, grapeseed…decarb by heating until the bubbles stop. double boiler will work and is the easiest to control the temp on (100C!!).

100mg dose is then 1ml. I would start her at 10mg and work up. you can cut the oil down to as little as 1:1 if you need to deliver higher doses.

yeah, there are recipes around here for “powders” to go in drinks, but most of them leave the cannabinoids all over the side of the container. you are better off using a dropper and an edible oil imo.

adding gum arabic to an oil base seems to work, but I don’t have the exact recipe.

if the taste is not to her liking, you can put it in gel caps.

or you can advise her to stick it up her ass :wink:

edit: Search results for 'gum arabic' - Future4200

4 Likes

Hmm so if I redissolved the material into ethanol I could probably evaporate it down to a crude concentration then decarb that? Is that similar to what your talking about? Wouldn’t that essentially be just a strong RSO at that point?

Please only use solventless products in edibles folks

Why is that?

Ive been making edibles from extracts for 10+yrs now.

Bho, co2, etoh, ipa, hash, disty, rosin.

As long as tou evap the solvent out, good to go.

3 Likes

When it comes to extracts I will only consume (smoke or eat) products that are solvent less such as distillate or rosin and are not refined using harsh agents such as butane, propane, or co2 which create a toxic product that is harmful for consumption and definitely shouldn’t be added to food. Keeping it solventless makes it so your less likely to be consuming harsh toxic chemicals in your treats. I dont want butane in my cereal or mashed potatoes either.

co2 is now a dangerous solvent? I thought that whole gag was based on being “solventless”?

@SweetSensi distillate has, generally speaking, been processed with solvents. The required filtration prior to distillation alone will require solvents, and a vast majority of the product out there being distilled is winterized, no matter how it was extracted, prior to distillation (requiring solvents).

@raghanded, water is a solvent too. Haha. The universal solvent, nonetheless. Not even bubble hash is truly solventless by that line of thinking. CO2 is very much a solvent, albeit a mostly benign one. Too much CO2 can still kill 'ya…

2 Likes

How was your distillate made?

3 Likes

I am aware, was being facetious.

1 Like

I know. lol. I’m of the same mind. My comment was of the same sentiment. :wink:

1 Like

once decarbed, you can certainly think of it as a “strong RSO” if you must, but there is absolutely no point in dissolving it in ethanol, then evaporating the ethanol unless you intend to winterize it, and there is no need to winterize for an edible.

you can also safely ignore @SweetSensi’s religious convictions if you don’t share them.

By the time you’re done decarbing that shatter there won’t be an appreciable amount of butane in there, and butane is just 4 carbons in a line with hydrogens. nothing to be scared of unless you concentrate it and like to play with matches. Just don’t add the Ethanol, unless you need it for some other reason (like getting it into cyclodextrins).

@SweetSensi you should perhaps look a little harder at how distillate is made if you consider it “solvent less”. Solvent free? probably pretty close given how it’s made. While all the solvents listed can absolutely kill you, all of them are safe for the end user if used responsibly. I’m sure you’re aware that both water and Oxygen can also kill you. It’s all about dosage.

Our ancestors picked up their ADH4 gene almost 10x106 years ago, we didn’t leave the trees till 2x106 years ago. in certain tribes, you feed your children beer because the water would kill them. if you think a little liquor in granny’s cancer cure is a problem, you’ll be happy to know you’re not alone, but you’re also wrong. granny’s got bigger worries.

if you’ve got hard data to the contrary, I’d love to see it.

can squish fill a niche? absolutely!
is it the only answer? nah.

4 Likes

how exactly are you avoiding co2 contaminating your food?

1 Like

Idk why ya’ll are talking about butane - the title literally says ethanol lol.
@cyclopath - I do not follow his religious beliefs :).

@SweetSensi

When it comes to extracts I will only consume (smoke or eat) products that are solvent less such as distillate or rosin and are not refined using harsh agents such as butane, propane, or co2 which create a toxic product that is harmful for consumption and definitely shouldn’t be added to food. Keeping it solventless makes it so your less likely to be consuming harsh toxic chemicals in your treats. I dont want butane in my cereal or mashed potatoes either.

Whats the toxic chemical?

Everclear is food grade and sold for consumption.
Butane is in the propellant for whip cream and other pressurized goodies

You have no clue what you are talking about and are spreading misinformation.

3 Likes

Doh! I really should learn to read…

“Shatter” and @SweetSensi’s response is my excuse :shushing_face:

2 Likes

I used to serve a lot of geriatric patients in my “grey” market days, a good route to go is rso infused hard candy.

2 parts sugar to 1 part water to 1/4 part light corn syrup. Boil in a THICK BOTTOMED saucepan (super important, buy a good saucepan with a heat spreader). Get it up to exactly 300F, cut the heat, add flavoring and stir carefully. Once that is homogenized, add however much decarbed rso as you want. Get everything well mixed and pour off into a silicone mini ice cube tray. After cooling, shake them around in powdered sugar and you’re good to hook.

I recommend getting a good cinnamon oil as your flavor, my grannies loved melting them in tea. A really strong cinnamon flavor can mask more potent edibles. A couple 10mg cubes is not enough sugar to bother most people and will definitely help with sleep.

Cleanup is a BIIIITCH, make a big batch and let everything with hard candy residue soak in hot water over night. Don’t try scrubbing anything off fresh, or find out how many licks it takes to get to the stainless steel center of your expensive candy pot. And be super careful, molten sugar is extremely dangerous.