Ethanol Diamonds?

500 PPM is the limit for the state of Oregon. If you were here, it would be perfectly legal to sell on the shelf of any dispensary.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. This is in a pryex dish. Can you describe “pryex tek” ?

Below 5,000 PPM is good in most states. 220 ppm is really low. Good job!

• BTW what product is this ? Looking at your THCa to Delta-9 ratio.
2 Likes

Diamond sauce for lack of any better terms

2 Likes

I love how Ethanol is changing the growth lattice of the crystals. I wonder if this means anything? I’m no chemist by far

3 Likes

So you I assume that you’re not separating them or do you separate them add them back in ratios ?

correct. not seperating

2 Likes

last time I looked OR didn’t have a limit on ethanol!!!

if I recall correctly they started out with 5000ppm as recommended here https://www.oregon.gov/oha/ph/preventionwellness/marijuana/documents/oha-8964-technical-report-marijuana-contaminant-testing.pdf

but the CO2 guys were failing so they explicitly removed the limit on ethanol

based on 333-007-0410 there does not appear to be a limit currently (2017 rules).

333-007-0410.pdf (209.4 KB)

4 Likes

Forgot to add that zero. Oops. Thanks for the correction.

Its achievable (in that I’ve seen/done it myself) but I would call it impractical for the following reasons:

• still limited to small batch just like hydrocarbon THCA crystallizations
  • requires very low temperature (freezers take space, money, energy)
  • protic solvents promote decarb i.e. loss of yield (fairly significant at room temp, probably suppressed if kept cold)
  • crystal purity is often proportional to the temperature at which nucleation/growth occurs i.e. if you can grow a crystal warmer its often more selective towards the target species, growing cold gives opportunity for other compounds to crash out in addition to the target compound
  • miscibility/azeotrope of ethanol and water (and water’s affinity for cold ethanol) presents a problem. If you want to evaporate ethanol at a controlled rate, you would need to use vacuum/inert dry gas to sweep away alcohol without taking on water, otherwise you need to replace or dry ethanol (distillation or mole sieves).
  • I imagine there are problems meeting ppm thresholds but maintaining the terpene profile.

As a anecdote, in industrial chemistry sometimes a valuable compound can be produced only through some reaction or intermediate compound that can only survive at -70C or something. Lets say for instance, the reaction to make this compound must occur at that temperature or else it catastrophically blows up. Many times, those compounds are abandoned due to the economics or risks associated with such an extreme operation as trying to scale a dangerous reaction that requires immense cooling. Sometimes these compounds are abandoned with no backup plan - the compound is deemed not worthwhile to pursue. However, in some cases the reaction is abandoned but not the compound - some more convenient method is discovered/available to produce the same compound and it obsolesces the dangerous -70C reaction. I think THCA crystallizaton kind of fits the latter of the two scenarios - there are more convenient and less extreme ways to achieve this crystallization. So in a world where we all have limited time and resources, we sometimes gain something by abandoning the path of more resistance.

5 Likes

Can anyone please guide me on when to take this out of the oven. It’s currently at 100 F for a couple weeks . Would I get more formation if I put it at lower temps or in the fridge ?

Also how can I separate and wash these ?

I don’t want to mess this up.

Thanks to everyone that has helped .

2 Likes

I never asked about the vapor pressure that evaporating ethanol in a jar could create. Would it be enough pressure to blow the lid off or would the ethanol dissolve from the lid like butane does? Should there be a low pressure (10PSI) PRV on the jars used?

looking good, we took ours out when the larger crystals started to separate from the pyrex, our ppm was 220

the problem with ethanol is it likes to condense and turn back to a liquid when it hits the top of the jar then slides back down to the main mother liquor and causes over saturation and its really hard to get to that super saturation point

1 Like

So there’s no need for a prv or to double up on lids?

I have roto vap my ETHo down to about 5% and I’m seeing separation as seen in the pics. How can I purify my ETHo extract before going into the Jar Tek? TIA

1 Like

just to clarify.

the condensed solvent drips back down and “dilutes the mother liquor”…which means that it reduces the level of saturation.

4 Likes

thank you for clearing that up:)

Would I be able to introduce Pentane after RV and freeze for 2 days -86 and take to vacuum oven at 90 degrees? Would freezing the pentane give me any advantage or go straight to vacuum oven or diamond miner? Thanks so much in advance!

Does this mean that even if someone were to fuck up leaving a highly saturated level of ethanol based oil in a jar with a slim trace of ethanol the diamonds would be better than leaving more ethanol in a jar? Would you be able to get quicker formations with more saturated diamonds? This intrigues me. Like what if someone took 14 grams of super saturated ethanol crude and messed with reintroducing ethanol, for example 1ml per 14 grams of super saturated ethanol crude maybe there could be more diamonds.

As opposed to butane where you want it to be kinda like a liquid jelly film before you induce (heat) growth and not nearly as much saturation.

1 Like