Extracting and winterizing while skipping the butane

I googled all the same things that I used to search here for coldtrap, and I’ve seen all those pictures and more, but what I’m still confused on is the length of tubing on the inlet/outlet. Can it just be 2 holes in the lid of something? Does 1 of the tubes have to sink to the bottom of the collection vessel? Do they both have to sink to the bottom?

1 Like

I think you can answer those questions yourself if you think about it.

What are you trying to achieve? (Not drown your pump)

What was the coil I built about?
How did it help?
Why is stainless better than glass?

What are the commonalities and differences you’ve seen?

Tube length; explore pros and cons of inlet/outlet both high and low. Should be pretty obvious which is optimal if you’ve explored your goals and options.

Bubbling your vapor through any condensate, although quite effective for solvent recovery is probably not a great idea in a cold trap.

I have a little stonylabs lab pump now, gets to just under -23. So the hole going to the vac pump definitely shouldn’t be reaching the bottom of the vessel. I was thinking of coiling some tube at the bottom for the “vapor” and covering it with a little bit of ethanol to help with recovery. The most ethanol that I’d be working with at a time is 300-400ml. I’ll have to check back once I’ve built one.

No need for a cold trap with a diaphragm pump. You might route the exhaust outside or give it a cup to dribble into.

You may even find that entire thread useful. Threads more often were back then…

1 Like

Really? Well shit I just ordered stainless fittings and hose. I’d like to recover as much of this solvent as I can. So just drip it into a cup huh? Will the -22 be enough to do the final purge? I’d like to preserve as much of the terps as possible. I’m seeing people say go as high as 120f? Really? Right now I’ve got all the bulk of the solvent vaped off and it’s in my vac chamber at 32f.

Not really. Probably pass OR standards.

There are at least a couple of discussions on the subject around here.

You will loose some terps. A (likely) unsolvable problem with ethanol extraction (keep them terps!)

With a cold trap, you’ll also get terpshine. Which I suggest you keep separate from your bulk recovered solvent.

Once you get around to ethanol recovery (also extensively covered).

2 Likes

I read a few of those yesterday. I was doing ethanol because I don’t have a closed loop but everything is pointing to butane just being better in every way. Fuck me…

Update on the flower qwet, ditched using the diaphragm pump to try to purge and hit it with full vac (or as low as my gauge showed, -29ish) and 34c. It’s not completely done yet but took a little taste test and it doesn’t taste bad anymore, and now that it’s not totally disgusting there is a discernable taste to it, it tastes almost chalky after the hit. Still doesn’t really taste like how it smells but I guess I’m going in the right direction.

My charcoal got here today and I have some winterized bho sitting in my freezer in solution so I decided to try to use it. Some of the charcoal was getting past my duda sheet around the edges because I couldn’t get it to seal properly. I got the .5um one and I noticed that one side has a ptfe coating and the other side is more “felty”. My first attempt was a massive failure because 1 I think I used too much charcoal and 2 in an attempt to get it to seal I cut way too big a piece. It still didn’t seal so I lost alot of what I was running to absorption. After a few tries I figured out that the sheets work best with the coated side down and I guess I’ll just have to do multiple runs to get all the charcoal out. I’m not expecting this open blasted stuff to be any good, but I figure I should learn the process with the crappy stuff before going anywhere near any good stuff.

I would be posting pictures along the way for visual aids because that’s way better than huge bricks of text but any pictures could give people clues as to where I live and I don’t want that.

1 Like

This is how I’m using the duda sheet. I use the buchner to trace the outline, then cut out that circle and shove it into the funnel ptfe side down.

Buchner filters should lie flat in the filter cup without coming up the sides. Make sure to wet the filter before using so it sticks to the bottom.

2 Likes

I tried that by using a filter paper to trace the sheet but it seemed like stuff was still getting past it.

Tricks of the trade thread…

ROLL the felt …although it won’t work in that buchner…bet you could reconfigure your cls for vacuum filtration if you pondered on it.

Edit: Doh!! you’re here cause you don’t got one of those…no seriously…maybe I should back off on the hash.

:joy::rofl::rofl:

:shushing_face:

also, you should probably get a cls.

3 Likes

Figured you guys would get a kick out of this. My acrylic vac lid cracked. I knew this was going to happen, I didn’t realize how quickly it would happen though. I figured I’d get at least 1 or 2 purges of ethanol before it gave way but nope. Literally less than an hour and it started cracking. I’ve got a glass lid on the way. Hopefully the gasket and hardware fits.

Don’t think that was the lids fault. Maybe you should just buy your dabs. Since you can’t buy common sense.

3 Likes

You should be happy this happened with acrylic and it wasn’t glass bruh.

I’ve had the same lid for years and haven’t cracked it.

Maybe you tightened things a bit too much or something, but this should not be happening.

2 Likes

Cracked at the hole for the vac gauge. I’m guessing a sloppy drill or defect in the acrylic… or maybe the nut was too tight.

2 Likes

Where did I say it was the lids fault? Ethanol does that to acrylic. Maybe you shouldn’t be on the Internet since you don’t know how to not be a prick.

Ethanol does that to acrylic. I already ordered the glass lid so I figured screw it.

I always thought you had to be a prick to be on the interwebs ? ya know, too crude for real life, so have to make friends online facebook

2 Likes

Dude’s are acting like it’s the end of the world or I blew myself up or something. I already had the glass lid ordered so I said screw it. Not that big of a deal.

Both holes cracked. I doubt they’re too tight, I can rotate all the hardware somewhat freely by hand.