Edible "lessons"

Hey everyone I’m new to cooking cannabis. I have some family that medically need it but don’t want to smoke. so I’ve cooked gummies a few times but I can’t get the proper texture or sometimes consistency with them. Like the first time I coated with sugar and citric acid it melted it. I can’t tell if my coconut oil has to much water in it or if I’m needing a better ingredients as far as the extractions or something. Can anybody help me with a sop or possible like some training. Does anyone do training? I wanna learn as much as possible. Can anyone help me out please.

https://future4200.com/search?context=topic&context_id=127960&q=Gummy&skip_context=true

1 Like

These are the 2 forum gummy threads… One from box and one from sctratch… both seem to have incredible success and easy to reproduce…

the search would have pulled both up in the first 7 results… please use the search function for future inquires like this as this is about the easiest SOP to find on the site.

My spoon for the day!

3 Likes

Hey that I appreciate the response. I’ve been going through threads trying to put together the different messages. I made my coconut oil through an off infizum 420. And I thought the shelf life would be longer but it began to mold so I’m having to refrigerate it within 24 hrs of making it to keep it from molding. Do u think it could be from the machine? Should I make it from scratch instead?

im not tooo familar with cannabis easy bake ovens… I would just do a simple extraction with alcohol. recover the alcohol with a table top alcohol distiller… use straight oil without coconut oil. i think @MillerliteRN gummy reciepe uses a small amount of MCT oil so you might be able to use but im not really versed on his gummy SOP.

Personally i would scrap the easy bake oven for a more professional setup. If you want professional results your gonna have to use some professional tools… just the nature of the biz

2 Likes

Lol ya I don’t know alot of people here in Texas that know how to make edibles. They always drive to other states and bring them back so I’m just finding my way. But ya I’ll definitely give that a try. Thank u so much

It’s basically a magical butter machine, they work great but not for this application. It can’t make gummies. At best it could infuse some oil or alcohol.

1 Like

I looked at it… what else can you make from it well other than butter??

im assuming its gonna be recipes with weed taste

It basically just infuses oils and butters and stuff. I had one that I was using to infuse topical oils. It offers a blending and heating function as well. So you can make everything from edible oils for infusion or topical oils for salves and creams and stuff.

1 Like

Ya the butter part it actually is pretty good. But the coconut oil for some reason molded. So ya it comes out good but just molds really fast unless I put it in the fridge

1 Like

Mold happens when there is contamination that isn’t heated long enough at high enough temperature AND there is food and water for the mold to use for reproduction.

Coconut oil has a boiling point that is a lot lower than butters - which means to get it to “kill” the mold stuff off from your contamination, you are going to need to let it stay hot for longer. It also has a boiling point that smokes WAY more than water. You’d need to boil water for 15 minutes to make this happen and at a temperature that is more than double. (EDIT: Its probably worth noting, that you shouldn’t try to boil the coconut oil at higher temperatures, it has a smoke off temperature that can get kind of nasty, make things taste bad. So just start with better ingredients, etc.)

If you really want to use this - you could make sure to buy stuff that hasn’t been used before and use it all at once (coconut oil). And you could consider decarbing your weed under a high enough temperature (+212F) for at least 15 minutes to make sure any spores/mold on it would be killed. And then you should have a better chance of preventing mold growth.

Its a lot easier if you start with clean stuff in a clean environment to prevent this stuff. You could also try using sterile filters and stuff, but I think it might even help to use other ingredients that have higher boiling points so you can just cook this off.

Good luck!

1 Like

I have tried a lot of different recipes at this point and my favorite right now is this one: https://extractmag.com/thc-infused-gummy-recipe/
i have a few i have had hanging out as an experiment and so far, two months without mold. These produce a great texture, and i love being able to choose my own flavors and colors using different flavor oils and food coloring. It is a little more complicated/time consuming to make, but the batches here yield around 200 2.25ml gummies for me and i’m cool with that.

I have rocked the recipe miller laid out quite a bit as well for sour gummies. For some reason I have not been able to conduct that recipe without an ever-lingering tackiness, so i coat them in sugar and a very small amount of citric acid and lay them out in mesh drying trays for a couple of days and they melt a little bit initially then harden up into a nice dry and awesome textured gummy. I had a lot of issues with a super bitter taste with that recipe and found that using mct in place of the PG and the sugar/citric coating made them work for me. I have found that the taste also mellows out a bit about 3 or 4 days after theyve been made. Have had some of those hanging out for about two months now without any signs of degradation or mold. I love this recipe for its’ simplicity to make and the SOP really helped me upgrade my whole situation :ok_hand:

3 Likes

If you are working with homemade canna oil, buy a brownie/cookie mix whatever at the store, the one that takes them most cooking oil or butter. Ideally organic. Add your cooking oil/butter to the mix.
If your going for volume some stores sell big 10 lb mixes.

If you have concentrates, buy those giant Hershey’s chocolate bars, or haribo gummies and melt, mix, and pour.

Try not to overcomplicate things, for a beginner just making the infused oil can be a whole task by itself.

Edit: I have a couple gallons of infused coconut oil that has been chilling for a year+ with no mold, if yours is molding you just need to separate more water or particulate. Or you are using moldy material…

1 Like

Oh wow thank u I will definitely try this recipe out. I wanna try like a tropical flavor like pineapple orange or something. So maybe try that flavor with this recipe

I’ve been using an infuizum 420 it’s like the magic butter machine. The butter comes out great but I’m wondering if the oil part is the problem. I use lethicin but I might need to just start making the oil myself instead of using the machine