Dry Ice use for Roto Optimization

i can hit -20 with super saline and dry ice and a 1200 gph fishtank pump… you should look into a glycol chiller

Bath mixtures of ethanol and ethylene glycol in dry ice produce sustainable constant temperatures over the range from -12 to -78 °C, which show a linear relationship between the bath temperature and the volume fraction of ethylene glycol .May 1, 2000

-google

1 Like

How much money are you looking to spend on an upgrade? I have multiple options depending on your budget

we have our PSI on chiller set to 40, factory setting is 80, where do you think we should be?

Is it possible our ethanol has degraded as we have used it many times, can this slow down recovery rate?
Also just to note, we are dipping at approximately 1Lb-2L using 10-15% the content, could this be affecting our recovery rate swell?

How is fluid feeding in and out of roto

what do you mean how, as in how well?

Explain mr.legend?

Nope, anything under 140C especially under vacuum has no issue with thc degradations. Usually my chiller keeps up for quite a while. Bur the added temp actually allows you to use less vacuum so it not only keeps the oil thin and mobile with high spin which allows more solvent to express itself out of the oil but it does go faster

you’re pulling a vacuum, the material in your boiling flask is not exceeding the boiling point of ethanol at whatever vacuum you’re pulling. at least until most of the solvent is gone.

if you don’t have enough cold, suck less. which will increase the boiling point. which means you can condense at a higher temp.

if you’re burying your gauge, then you might need lower that -40C to condense. pull 15in, and you can condense with 50C water.

what is your plan after solvent recovery?
are you then distilling?
edibles? ?!?

2 Likes

My concern is that our chiller can’t handle that temperature, when we hit over 50-60C in the bar the chiller is getting to above 0 degrees this is the whole reason we had to try a booster etc.

Do I need a controller for my pump? At this point we can’t control the vacuum from the pump.
Also I didn’t mean THC degradation I meant is my ethanol quality taking on water and thus harder to evaporate?

no, seriously.

you can trivially use a radiator and a fan to get your ethanol back if you run at atmosphere.

degraded? no.

but you have probably picked up water along the way. have you noticed yield losses or darker extracts?

buy a $10 proofing gauge… Amazon.com

and see: Roto Evaporator issues - #32 by cyclopath or search for “controlled leak”

2 Likes

We will be making distillate yes

then read up under Search results for 'decarb in rotovap' - Future4200

if you are pulling water into your solvent, you need to keep an eye on the proof coming out of your rotovap. when you bump the temp to decarb, empty the rotoflask and keep the solvent recovered from that point (or perhaps a little earlier) segregated.

and then what do I do with this segregated solvent, is it better or worse then the solvent recovered during regular recovery?

that’s what your proofing gauge will tell you…

if the concept that water boils at a higher temp than ethanol, so there will be more water in your condensate when you bump the temp doesn’t resonate, then it sounds like you need to understand more about distillation in general. those fractions you’re pulling in your SPD are analogous to the fractions pulled in your rotovap.

many use the low proof recovered solvent for cleaning. which suddenly qualifies as a bad ideaTM if your biomass/extract ever tests hot for pesticides…

What direction is the fluid flowing. Where does it enter and leave the rotovap.

1 Like

If theres no water in the material, theres no water coming out. But you can always use Re dehydratable mol sieve to fix your etoh.

I just turn off my vac once i get pretty deep and the condenser starts to get pretty crazy. My pump is attached to a fob, so i can turn it on from across the lab

2 Likes

That’s cool.