Dry Ice use for Roto Optimization

I’ve got a 20L E Lab Roto Vap with a 2502 Welch Diaphram and the 1.5HP Polyscience Duachiller. We were only hitting 6.5L/Hour recovery rate and not sure why, we had previously been hitting bigger numbers. We have now rigged up a copper coil in a -20 freezer and have been feeding it dry ice to bring our cooler temp down and enhance our condensation rate. We have also added a 1L cold trap which we stock with dry ice. While we have got our recovery rate up to 10L/Hr we are going through an insane amount of Dry Ice, can anybody relate to this issue / tell me other more sustainable ways to keep this injection coil cold.

Get a bigger chiller, wrap your intake hose line around your condenser, to increase your surface area

3 Likes

Is 1.5 HP chiller undersized you think?

1 Like

You mean so that the outside of the glass is cooling and aiding in the condensing swell?

Yup, increases SA.
If ur chiller cant stay cold enough then its underpowered.

I don’t think our intake hose gets very cold though its thick silicone…

use thin silicone for that part.
Mine ices over

And that is ok to use with the vacuum etc?

do you have a picture of your set up by any chance?

What vacuum? Im talking about your thermal transfer fluid line

sorry I meant " under vacuum " I just don’t love thin vacuum hose under vacuum is all.

Deeper vacuum. Wrap your lines. Use coils to boost the the line coming out of the chiller. Throw an extra heater in the bath.

Im still not understanding why your temp transfer fluid lines would be under vacuum, if anything they would have possitive pressure from the fluid transfer pump in your chiller

3 Likes

Have you tried just boosting the bath temp using an oil bath? Im doing over 10gal/hr with ethanol at 120C.

3 Likes

48+hr on a 20L?

I use oil as well, but a splash guard is needed to help not watch me whip

2 Likes

Pop these guys on your chiller tubing

Lowes and HD sell the same product. It’s what I wrapped my chiller and heater lines.

@Badcookieextracts got my equipment, ask him about the lines.

Your right, I was confused about what you meant but that makes sense now on second thought.

I can always turn my bath temperature up but my issue is cooling/condensing that amount of evaporation, especially at 120c? that seems extremely high is it not degrading the thc at those temps?

You told me this a year and a half ago and I thought you were crazy