How to improve the rotary evaporator recovery rate?

There are three factors affecting the cooling capacity, evaporation, vacuum degree.
Example: 50L rotary evaporator +50/40 chiller + 2X-4 rotary vane vacuum pump

1. Vacuum environment close to -0.1MP can meet the requirements of working vacuum. After determining the vacuum environment, adjust the refrigerating capacity or evaporation capacity to achieve the optimal recovery speed.
  2. Evaporation: it can be controlled by adjusting the temperature of the water bath and the rotation speed of the rotating bottle
  3. Refrigerating capacity: by adjusting the cold water mechanism cold temperature, circulation speed, rotary evaporator condenser (double condensation and single condensation)

How to determine the adjustment of cooling capacity or evaporation capacity?
When there is steam on the outer wall of the condenser or the upper part of the main condenser is overheated, it is proved that the evaporation is greater than the condensation. Under the condition of not changing the original cold water model, the circulating pump flow rate can be increased and the single condensation of rotary steam can be replaced by double condensation. You can also adjust the cooling temperature to change the cooling capacity. (Misconception: the lower the cooling temperature, the greater the cooling capacity)
Most are willing to recycle at a certain temperature. For example: 10℃, 0℃. At this time, the chiller needs a thermostatic protection device.
When the condenser steam is very little, the thermal feeling is not strong to touch, and the recovery amount is relatively small, the temperature of the water bath and the rotation speed can be increased.
All the above views are true and valid, you can discuss if you are interested, but no harsh words, thank you for understanding.

2 Likes

There’s this neat magnifying glass that takes you to a search bar where you can search the WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLE site. You should try it.

2 Likes

Run ethanol in the chiller = lower temps. Run silicone oil in the roto = higher temps. Run a dry screw pump = no pump oil to change or worry about and constant vacuum. These are the ways to ramp your roto.

Thank you very much for your recommendation, my friend. :grinning: :grinning:

My friend, I understand where you’re coming from,But temperature and refrigerating capacity are different, in the case of certain chillers, the lower the refrigeration temperature, the less the refrigerating capacity,and the silicone oil temperature is too high, the normal water can be satisfied.

Dry screw and dry scroll pumps are recommended to use a cold trap while working with viscous and semi-viscous solvents. The screw or scroll will eventually become clogged.

-For rotos we prefer a diaphragm vacuum pump because it just disperses of the solvent freely.

I’m pretty sure some people have been able to figure out a way to make it so it’s not spitting solvent everywhere by hooking a hose up on the positive side of the pump to an open flask though this is overkill and so not needed.

Even still with a diaphragm vacuum pump like a Welch wobl it’s recommended in good practice, to use a cold trap.

1 Like

It’s @chaowang making another spam post

2 Likes

My friend, I’m sorry to hear that. It doesn’t matter.

Sara, we no longer speak of rotary evaporator, only merry go round-

• R.
2 Likes

Did somebody say merry go round?
merry

1 Like

I cannot believe my eyes. I had no clue they actually sell amusement park rides alongside with lab equipment/medical supplies. What could possibly go wrong?

I originally thought the Merry-go-round post was just a mistranslation…

2 Likes

:octopus: Hnnnnng

Well the next time I’m at canobe lake park I’m looking out for their logo. :octopus::yum:

1 Like

We run ACP 40’s. If a wook floods them with crude ya they will get sticky. Quick rinse and they act like new again. Happened a handful of times but its not a big deal. Diaphragm pumps seem to wear out quick around here.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m not doing anything that big or pushing anything out for sale so I just do batches every now and then for my own use. But I assume if you’re in a lab pushing out a bunch of batches for consumers then yeah you’d want consistency.

Still, a cold trap isn’t a bad idea.

2 Likes