Does anyone travel to process?

Isopropyl can be done room temp and not grab fats. It’d just be nifty to rent have a spinner for a few days and just tear through all this nonsense

Why not just buy 2-4x pandas and run in with ethanol. You have tons of alcohol there as I remember you saying. Get some 5gal buckets and a few pandas and you can rip 100-200 a day. Why pay someone to do this when it’s a really easy job to get done if distillate is what your goal is.

1 Like

That’s what I was getting at lol but idk if he can use a panda there? :thinking:

1 Like

With all the gear I feel like you are looking at a whisperwatt and a j box or so for power requirements, which means two trips, or two tow vehicles and daily fuel delivery or some electrical runs that probably won’t be kosher if you use the locations power

Is this worth the cost?

We use the big barrels from uline and an immersion (sp?) spinner. Use isopropyl to extract, at room temperature it won’t grab fats, but has an affinity for chlorophyll. Spin for however long. Then filter it out. Put the remaining material in food grade bags and put in the two pandas we to remove the majority of the alcohol left.

We do this currently. We have ethanol because I clean my equipment with it over isopropyl. I don’t like the smell of it and I would rather have trace amounts of etho than isopropyl. And our kitchen uses it for various reasons. Everyone else here uses isopropyl for cleaning and crude production.

I was just thinking that if someone could come out and spin all of it in one day and we’d be done with it. Then, I can work with the disty guy to get a better crude production schedule.

3 Likes

Evidence? No matter what saturation that crude oil is redissolved in ethanol, at any temperature, will fats precipitate?

1 Like

I’m not at my facility. But he’s been running our disty that way for a little while now. I was completely skeptical about it until I saw it but I guess it works. I will grab a jar next when I get back and throw it in the freezer. Nothing drops out room temp, at all.

After he takes out all the plant particles. He spins the liquor with a little bit of carbon and clay for bit, filter that out. Then push it through a lenticular filter. Roto and lastly spd.

Our room is also about 65f

5 Likes

I’ve heard of many similar processes, but when I get my hands on it, somehow I’m always able to precipitate a healthy quantity of lipids.

I’m curious as to whether ethanol will cause anything to drop out. Also, you need to be saturated at room temp for effective precipitation (I like 8:1-10:1 solvent to oil). What saturation is his solution post-extraction?

He’s saturating it pretty heavy. I think. I can grab a beaker of his next wash and put it in the freezer when I get back. I am and was very skeptical about it at first. But, apparently it’s a thing. I want to see about running it all through the color remediation and send that to disty. The last kitchen oil that I kinda remediated and sent over came back at 82.3% after decarb. So, I think that would be pretty cool to still. I just want to get rid of all the old crap we have so I can get on some other R&D with edibles. I want to make instant coffee pods and pressed thc pills.

2 Likes

Check the volume and mass of the solution when you get a chance, please. :grin:

I will. In a week when I get back.

It absolutely will grab fats. in fact, its a much better solvent for fats then 190 proof ethanol, so it wont fall out of solution during winterization as much.

right, which is why you winterize it.

2 Likes

I’m with @Psilisophical on this one.
Iso pics up the fats and doesn’t drop them when you get it cold.
check out the solubility of cotton seed oil in Iso vs EtOH.
way more soluble…and soluble at low temps.

but if your guy can get to the distillate he’s after without dropping the fats…then it’s working for him.

Demonstrating that he’s leaving the fats in the boiling flask rather than in the biomass as he thinks he is would be good for his continued education, but if the object of the game is just to get carts out the door…I’m not sure it matters why it works.

3 Likes

Agreed, I have seen this first hand and have actually remediated crude for a client that didn’t chill their iso and ended up with a tremendous amount of fats and waxes. More so than what ethanol pulls.

Anyone wants my SOP… dm lol

3 Likes

@cyclopath @nomadgt I also don’t do this. Not my department. I’m just relaying what I have been told. I state above

Clearly in not very sold by it. But, I also did state that I’d check when I get back. No need to sound like a broken record.

2 Likes

I thought @beaker used to boil in iso to swell the fats in order to filter with alumina. I could be wrong. @CBNight just did something like this. Maybe he can chime in and clarify the iso boiling.

I do know the crude was hydrocarbon extracted and initially winterized in ethanol but had tons of gums according to him.

1 Like

Iso and water to dewax Here is the process with iso and water for removing chlorophyll and waxes although methanol seems to be more effective. Here is the link for dewax with methanol Dewaxing shatter - #18 by Beaker.

2 Likes

Even cryo iso will pick up nasties that etho will not.

@cyclopath, I talked this with him about 7 months ago. Consensus was iso is inferior to etoh for extractions for that reason alone.

3 Likes

I need someone to teach my guy how to run a 10lb BVV with MVP pump In Phoenix area