Does anyone travel to process?

Check the volume and mass of the solution when you get a chance, please. :grin:

I will. In a week when I get back.

It absolutely will grab fats. in fact, its a much better solvent for fats then 190 proof ethanol, so it wont fall out of solution during winterization as much.

right, which is why you winterize it.

2 Likes

Iā€™m with @Psilisophical on this one.
Iso pics up the fats and doesnā€™t drop them when you get it cold.
check out the solubility of cotton seed oil in Iso vs EtOH.
way more solubleā€¦and soluble at low temps.

but if your guy can get to the distillate heā€™s after without dropping the fatsā€¦then itā€™s working for him.

Demonstrating that heā€™s leaving the fats in the boiling flask rather than in the biomass as he thinks he is would be good for his continued education, but if the object of the game is just to get carts out the doorā€¦Iā€™m not sure it matters why it works.

3 Likes

Agreed, I have seen this first hand and have actually remediated crude for a client that didnā€™t chill their iso and ended up with a tremendous amount of fats and waxes. More so than what ethanol pulls.

Anyone wants my SOPā€¦ dm lol

3 Likes

@cyclopath @nomadgt I also donā€™t do this. Not my department. Iā€™m just relaying what I have been told. I state above

Clearly in not very sold by it. But, I also did state that Iā€™d check when I get back. No need to sound like a broken record.

2 Likes

I thought @beaker used to boil in iso to swell the fats in order to filter with alumina. I could be wrong. @CBNight just did something like this. Maybe he can chime in and clarify the iso boiling.

I do know the crude was hydrocarbon extracted and initially winterized in ethanol but had tons of gums according to him.

1 Like

Iso and water to dewax Here is the process with iso and water for removing chlorophyll and waxes although methanol seems to be more effective. Here is the link for dewax with methanol Dewaxing shatter - #18 by Beaker.

2 Likes

Even cryo iso will pick up nasties that etho will not.

@cyclopath, I talked this with him about 7 months ago. Consensus was iso is inferior to etoh for extractions for that reason alone.

3 Likes

I need someone to teach my guy how to run a 10lb BVV with MVP pump In Phoenix area