Distillation Catalyst/Absorbants Thread

for real though I feel like a mental midget around you guys. I am catching up though, i didn’t know shit a month ago

2 Likes

Acidic conditions will concert your CBD over to some isomer of THC.

The added heat from distilling with the clays in there will make a soup of unknowns.

A good experiment would be to monitor the reaction using HPLC, GCMS, or even TLC to see what is going on.

3 Likes

I dream of the day when I can afford to do something like that. Right now our lab is limited to spd and vac oven

edit: TLC seems within reach fiscally. Hrm…

Campbell s carts in the making :joy::joy:

1 Like

I don’t like the idea of unknowns there is a lot of unknowns when vaping anything already. No making chemical soup for me. Id rather pay someone for chromatography.

edit: apparently Thin Layer Chromatography looks promising as an analytical method for us due to lack of equipment costs in comparison. So, gotta find out what that makes :slight_smile:

1 Like

TLC is awesome if there’s only a few compounds in your solution and you have pure samples of each of those compounds. It becomes a little more complex - still possible, but more complex - when you have a lot of compounds and it shows up as a line of marbles.

That’s when you run 2D TLC to see what’s going to degrade and what’s real.

2 Likes

What do you mean degrade? And what’s the alternative to 2D TLC?

1 Like

If it degrades on silica (aka acidic conditions). So this will give a lot of information about what happens when you treat cannabinoids with acid.

4 Likes

English plz lol

2D TLC?

I swear theres a new term that pops up every day around here

6 Likes

TLC plates I think is what he’s talking about. I just ordered some reversed-phase plates by Analtech for exactly this.

@anon93688 like this, right? This is CBD / mother liquor samples on silica 60 plates. The spots were colorless until maybe 12 hours passed after drying

2 Likes

That sounds like a Google nightmare.

17 Likes

Make sure you search for “TLC Analtech” hahah

(tender lovin’ care)

12 Likes

Lmao the unsuspecting virgin eyes you just saved

3 Likes

That one doesn’t look so good.

This TLC is showing different fractions after chromatography. notice how there is a light spot in the first fraction? If I ran 2D TLC on this using a different gradient I could learn a lot of information.

2D TLC is different in that you run the plate a second time with a 90* rotation. This information is useful since it will tell you if what you are making is stable to the stationary phase on the plate.

Edit: had the wrong TLC plate description.

5 Likes

I know it doesn’t look good :joy:
I lost $2 in plates and maybe $0.20 in solvent. Gained a tiny bit of knowledge. Win.

1 Like

not trying to put you down. the sample you spotted is overloaded that’s all. you want small spots on the plate so you can see what’s actually going on.

2 Likes

I did varying dilutions using 1:1 Heptane:ethyl acetate on silica 60 phase plates (not a great choice)

This plate looked the best lmao

Anyone ever used 2D GCMS or LCMS? I remember seeing a vendor demo it when I was at an analytical lab. It impressed me quite a bit

1 Like

They have a great sense of humor about the name too. Adventures of Ana L'Tech - a great Chromatographic Comedy.rv - YouTube

1 Like