Distillation Catalyst/Absorbants Thread

For cannabinoids you should not go past 95% hexane, 5% ethyl acetate.

Edit: typo

4 Likes

@Krative I am just quoting this so I can like it more than once! LMFAO!!!
:rofl::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::rofl:

2 Likes

Glad you enjoyed. I’m still somewhat curfluffled on the difference between a standard TLC and 2D TLC. Isn’t it all 2D??

3 Likes
2 Likes

Lol right so just chromatography vs TLC. I guess I was just confused by the terminology.

1 Like

Did you see this?

3 Likes

This is a great article. Nice basic starting perimeters. Thanks for posting. The TLC is critical before scaling to the larger size columns a lot of us have. Dial in the gradient that is most promising for your sample.

:call_me_hand:

2 Likes

The TL in TLC stands for “Thin Layer”, which automatically implies a practically 2D process. Saying 2D TLC is akin to saying wet water or hot fire, you know? It’s just redundant. I can see why an educator might describe it redundantly, just to get the point across, though.

And to really split hairs, the separating process involved in TLC may happen in 2D, but its detection is essentially a series of points along a line from a single point along that 2D plane… iow, a distance (length or time) so it’s actually 1D in the data it produces!
In that same way, GC or LC or gas or liquid chromatography would be 3D separation processes (volumes of analytes) while their detection is that of an area (2 distances combined, length × width or peak time × height)!

Normally science is described by the data it produces, as validated by the methods used to produce it, so…

In TLC, the procedure is 2D, but detection is 1D.

In column chromatography, the procedure is 3D, but detection is 2D.

And when you get into deconvolution of peaks via MS-MS detection, things get weird, since the data can be described as “2.5D” or “pseudo 3D”, since it is basically just looking at the 2D information from an overhead angle… the data is still 2D, but the observation of it is 3D!

5 Likes

No, 2D TLC means to do TLC, then rotate the plate 90 degrees and do TLC again. Giving you separation on two axis.

6 Likes

THAT would make more sense to call 2D TLC, yes!

3 Likes

Yeah I gave up on trying to explain this shit.

5 Likes

1 Like

O master have some patience with us :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

I run a 2d gc/tof from Leco Corp with an Agilent 7890. It is very powerful. And also very cumbersome to deal with the data.

could you bypass the mol sieves and just distil the results?

No, molecule sieve is meant to grab side reactions when you’re doing the conversion

If you dont remove your catalyst by filtration before distillation it could break down and you could get heavy metal contamination in your end product

3 Likes

ok so what do i need to know to learn what size of molecular sieve is required? Please pardon my complete lack of formal chemistry education

1 Like

4A molecular sieve is what you need

2 Likes

Thanks for the spoon, but my real question is how do you arrive at that conclusion? I want to understand the chemistry better and I don’t understand what concepts i need to familiarize myself with. Thanks!

1 Like

@YeahBet do us a favor
Wan t to pick a fight do it else where
There is no valeu in your coment

2 Likes