Discussion on PII rules

GLADLY!

Will you hold yourself liable for this statement?

I will 100% agree to a truce with one rule, i can call you out if you dont keep the above statement in mind with every reply.

I will put any differences aside if you are willing to help make this community stronger.

6 Likes

Wow. Took a nap and this thread blew up. I think doxing shouldnā€™t be allowed. Anything not posted in your screen name shouldnā€™t be allowed.

I really think this forum is split 50/50 with the traditional and legal market.

10 Likes

More about setting precedent for needing moderation there at all. Think about how slippy this slope is.
We have removed pictures and posts of people doxxing themselves or others (like family) unintentionally but for the most part the rule was set to avoid people threatening others and where I rest most of the weight.
At some point, if you are here on a public forum, with your public persona that you use to conduct business, that you use on your facebook and instagram, deciding where the line is is impossible (specifically, to enforce fairly). Take all that and toss a threat in, grounds for removal, or even in a negative manner.

Guys this is all off spirirt for the forum.

If you come here anonymously, made up a username just for here, dont link any accounts, someone starts doxxing you from DMs and stuff that wouldnā€™t fly.

5 Likes

to pose a hypothetical, someone connects dots of a business person here who openly advertises their company name / website, someone finds the bbb, and linkdin profile of the owner and staff during a negative review flame war. allowed or no?

4 Likes

the standard for a public figure is usually much lower, what constitutes a public figure is a different matter though

In the context of defamation actions (libel and slander) as well as invasion of privacy, a public figure cannot succeed in a lawsuit on incorrect harmful statements in the United States unless there is proof that the writer or publisher acted with actual malice by knowing the falsity or by reckless disregard for the truth

I think anything with a common screen name is fair game, people are gonna find my reddit shitposts and instagram without any trouble, and Iā€™m ok with that. I just donā€™t want my IRL identity on here until I put it up willingly

4 Likes

I donā€™t think connecting the dots to be allowed but itā€™s almost to be expected the way itā€™s been lately.

I think when we started. It was even against the rules to use someone else real name rather their screen name here even if you know their real name.

11 Likes

@sidco has a great point, if your intentions are to stay anonymous, you do have to take some responsibility to make sure people canā€™t connect the dots.

If your real name is tied to all the handles you use, that is on you.

5 Likes

I would still consider a flag for that. The issue here is (only using you because you put yourself out there) I can google @pdxcanna and nothing pops up with a real name right away or any clear connections. If they have never attached that handle to a real name it should never come up, they especially didnā€™t post pictures of themselves with it.
Vs the person whos had the same email and username since gmail was invented on all their services. This is an important subject, lots of discussion, and things like General Data Protection Regulation - Wikipedia on their way to the US.

2 Likes

4sk0xn I remember also

17 Likes

i dont think any real name would come up for Killa12345, but most people here know i own Quality Stainless parts and could look up the owner and bamā€¦

That would be equivalent to knowing where someone works and searching for them like that. I think its a bad policy regardless but some of us public figures have learned to deal with it. I think personal life is just thatā€¦ Professional life is different.

3 Likes

Iā€™m 1000% for this

I would also like to see other members of the community do the same thing as I feel like alot of us have been trolling lately because we got tied up in that dumb NV thread

As a community I think we need to step it up and HELP each other be better instead of encouraging each other to be worse

I admit, I have a hard time not talking shit when ppl talk shit to me. I think if we want to see each other get better we need to get back to how the forum was when it first started when there were no egos

Itll take the whole community to help us all get back there though

5 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s what I meant, you have your business name all over here and ig, so I would consider you a persona for both Quality Stainless Parts and the owner of that company, on top of yourself as a person. If someone comes and points that out, and posts proofs of that, I would have a hard time taking action against it.
If they are claiming they work somewhere as a ā€œThe sales managerā€ and you go on linkdin for the company and find their sales manager, who says they handle all the forum postings for the company, Iā€™d still have a hard time taking action against it when you put the username to the person.

54 posts were merged into an existing topic: Not really missing persons

Can we have a forum vote on this doxing thing because I think a lot of us disagree what is proper forum behavior.

Iā€™d personally like to see a clear cut rule be applied to all members. Not our so called public members and private members

9 Likes

Lets establish the line then and make sure we are real clear on what that rule is. Can you articulate one that we can discuss?

4 Likes

Maybe we should vote on the line and then vote on the punishment as we all have different perceptions of the line.

Rather making it just one choice. Letā€™s do a several vote thingy like the moderator vote went up. Round 1 and round 2 thing.

At least we can get this moving rather just dancing around this problem each time it comes up

2 Likes

Lets discuss how any personal identifying images should only be allowed to be posted by the person its identifying.

6 Likes

I like where youā€™re going but before any votes happen we gotta be clear. Too much room for mission drift and we should have a chance to stop that before it starts (ie discussion).

Good start. Donā€™t take my contentions here in a demoralizing fashion. In the scenario I played out to killa,

Does that mean I am not allowed to look up and report on business owners publicly listed linkdin?

4 Likes

None taken, Iā€™m always down for an open discussion with all ideas being just ideas until its ironed out. I like where this is all headed and will support the process!

1 Like

sure but you should refer to them by their screen name ONLY and not post personal pics or family shit on a concentrates forum.

I think if you can go that far to research a forum member you can go one step more and acknowledge that person by only their screen name. I donā€™t see how that is hard or a hard rule for everyone to be equal with.

This way it is equal with all members. Public ones or people that might own a business shouldnt be the only ones that have different rules. The rules should be set so they apply to all. equally!

Im just spitballing ideasā€¦ This isnt direct at you @sidcoā€¦

3 Likes