Diamonds turning into chalk post separation

Are you getting clays in your beads?

I did beads under vac

1 Like

Do beads & media under vac, use 100% cotton pillow sheets.

2 Likes

Video of 2.3g dissolving in 10ml of acetone : 20min in about 33s

Addition of 2ml of distilled water

8 Likes

Some particulate but that’s likely not spore related. Which is a good sign. The particulate I would be uncertain of unless media possibly made it through or even just dust tbh.

Filter it over a .2um & then go supersaturation for the amount in solution, you’ll be able to recover that if wanted to. In a clear stone as well.

2 Likes

So the dust in it gave it tons of nucleation sites,?

1 Like

Just crush that shit up, and call it isolate!
What’s your testing looking like? Residuls? Etc?
@StoneD wouldn’t that just create sugar though? These are actually forming up nice facets, and then clouding through. It’s crazy

6 Likes

Yeah I’m stumped was spitballing

:man_shrugging: it definitely formed a whole diamond then sugared which can only lead to inclusion

@Soxhlet any ideas

1 Like

I’m with you Homie!
Need to try to redissolve it, and run it through a welded .02 (or whatever) disc. A depth filter wouldn’t hurt either. Make a plug right on top of the sintered disc as a type of prefillter. Jar it up, and Rex it to see what happens.
That, or testing. Send some to @kcalabs and let them have a peak at what’s all there…

2 Likes

Wow I have never seen this level of change

3 Likes

the .22um isn’t a welded disk

They have 2 kinds I’ve seen a gasket kind
And @Indofab has their new drop in filter that goes submicron

1 Like

I can go down to 0.1 micron. That shit will stop aids

24 Likes

Doesn’t look like moisture in the matter or it would’ve emulsified with additional water.

It’s no fun if you take ALL the risk away!

3 Likes

This is hand waving, but possibly:
If there was enough volatile solvent trapped in the crystalline matrix, especially under pressure, could fracture the crystals, maybe.
If THC-a wasn’t so hydrophobic, I would consider water absorption similar to what happens to hard candy.
Really I’ve no idea and am really curious to what happened here

3 Likes

This is just the solute precepting from solution, the h20 changed the solubility of the solution.
If it was done slower it is possible to grow crystals.
https://www.chemicalprocessing.com/articles/2010/210/

6 Likes

I have noticed when exposing the affected mason jars of solution to higher temperatures that the facets/nucleations start to dissolve/degrade. From the base room temperature of 64-66F to 85-90F. Do you think that’s due to the potential loss/evaporation of the anti solvent? Essentially removing the antisolvent that is causing the crystallization? If this is a case of antisolvent crystallization

2 Likes

Yes, hence why the solubility strength of the terpenes suddenly increase as the anti-solvent leaves, causing the terpenes to now act as a solvent and dissolve the THCa and uncontrollably sugar.

1 Like

What filter do you use?

2 Likes

Stir fry

Found another jar that is starting to turn like the others but this one is happening PRE separation. Done about a month prior to the images posted originally in the thread. Diamond structure is reminiscent of the first puck that changed over a weekend post separation.

Starting from the bottom and moving its way up the structures.

Still super weird; haven’t figured out what’s happening.

Changed out every line of our system, full dismantle and clean of every piece/solvent tanks, swapped every slightly worn gasket/compression fitting, rebuilt pump; still seem to have the issue.

Next steps would be to try without filtration/different media to see if it is in-fact the filtration.

12 Likes