Decarb Opinions

Hey, guys. Just wondering, what are your thoughts on decarb prior or post extraction (specifically CO2)? I’ve heard a lot of differing opinions (most from people who do not extract). We currently decarb prior to extraction. Thanks!

It likely roasts off any of the terpenes which some say act as a co-solvent during extraction. But if you’re retaining the terps as part of your decarb then you’re good to go.

Have you tried a couple runs as usual and then trying a couple runs that you decarb after extraction?

Also depends a lot on what your goals and intentions are with your crude.

I definitely like (and use) the idea of drying the material before hand, but I don’t decarb first. I had a whore of a time with humidity and moisture with material here in sunny South Florida so some oven time (or cold forced air evaporation) does wonders

2 Likes

How are you decarbing post? Hot plate?

South Florida, huh? We are from Naples/Boca.

1 Like

Following. Have been decarbing before Co2 but interested in the difference.

1 Like

Nice! My kids live in Naples so I spend time on both coasts.

I decarb after but have been working on distilling over as many acidics as possible so I actually try not to decarb at all.

I think I remember reading that it works well for CO2 extractions but isn’t as great for other methods but I have no idea from experience.

1 Like

I don’t extract but I have talked with many customers who do.
They tell me that it is better to decarb the biomass rather than the extract because the decarb process requires the carboxylic acid group ( one carbon and two oxygen atoms ) in the THCA/CBDA to physically migrate away from the THCA/CBDA molecule. In other words, the CO2 has to be free to float away. If the CO2 is stuck in a thick viscous liquid it can not physically leave so the decarbing does not happen quickly or at all.
Hugh Goldsmith
SRI

3 Likes

@srihugh1 is correct. You want to decarb before processing CO2 the fall back is having a darker product but color doesn’t matter. Preserving the natural terps is key. I’ve given pens to people on this forum that have met up with me in nor Cali. They all said it’s the best tasting one they have ever had.

2 Likes

You can also decarb under vacuum

This will reduce degradation do to oxygen and also allows you to easily pull the co2 atom out of the crude once it’s broken off

You can also tell when decarb is done based on your vacuum levels

1 Like

If you decarb under vacuum please attempt to catch your terps!!!

6 Likes

The main advantage to decarbing prior to extraction is a significant reduction in processing time and max pressure needed. You can essentially halve the extraction time by decarbing without compromising efficiency. In addition, your extraction pressure can be reduced to capture less plant waxes and fats. Decarbing after the extraction is difficult due to viscosity and darkening of oil at high temps needed for this to occur. Decarbing before is definitely superior, you just need a way to recover the terps before you lose them (terp runs on trim, vacuum, decarb, re-pack is super time consuming lol)

Darker extract is due to improper decarbing where the temp is too high and you toast the trim a little too much. Try increasing the decarb time and reducing temp.

3 Likes

I thought @cyclopath said decarb under vac made no difference

2 Likes

It doesn’t lower decarb temp but it sure as hell speeds it up and you can terpene strip at the same time

I’ve also done testing and decarbing under vacuum produces less cbn then decarbing at atmosphere

6 Likes

Vac prevents oxidation while at elevated temps. Which may help keep color lighter. It should not change time taken to decarb if energy input & agitation (for heat transfer) are the same.

If the object is to strip terps at the same time, then vac will obviously make that faster.

If you’re seeing a time difference with vac vs not, I would look at how much heat you’re adding.

Edit: that’s from first principles not Gigs Of Data.

3 Likes

Vacuum in a way is much like agitation

You agitate the mixture when you decarb to help with the removal of the co2 atom that breaks off during the process.

Vacuum allows you to pull the co2 atom off instead of just using the vapor pressure of the liquid to push it out

This makes a difference, even with the same agitation and temps

1 Like

There is no need to remove the CO2 from solution to achieve decarb…but it’s certainly helpful if you want to keep you cannabinoids contained

can you give a viable explanation for how vacuum changes the energy required to break the bond and release that CO2 molecule?

I can’t…

Don’t have G.O.D. on my side, so not in a position to argue :wink:

1 Like

I just did read above.

It has nothing to do with energy but with “releasing” the co2

Can you explain how “agitation” increases/effects decarb speed and vacuum wouldnt?

You just said agitation matter and can speed the process up so why wouldnt vacuum?

The energy requirement is the same, doesnt mean vacuum wont help pull the co2 atom off easier.

I guarantee a co2 atom will take less energy with vacuum to remove from solution then one under vac, as the vacuum will immediately pull the co2 off

This means more heat transfer for your actual solution

1 Like

Agitation helps with heat distribution and vacuum with degassing. Movement of gas bubles could be considered agitation but the same bubles affect the heat transfer in a negative way. The energy reguired for decarb is the same regardless of pressure.

4 Likes

@borysses is answered that one.

I did attempt to transmit it.

How do you measure done?
When no more bubbles?
I can see sucking giving a faster positive vs just stirring.

2 Likes

Exactly! MgO or other catalysts can change that energy requirement. Presumably an enzyme can be had as well

3 Likes

Nice, MgO is food safe. And if I really wanna be trve I can dig it as free range “organic” periclase in magnesite mine near me :smiley:

1 Like