Debate Thread: Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome; real, or a myth?

So its interesting hearing about CHS. I never heard of such a syndrome. Personally I find it odd that doctors will confidently say its a real syndrome and yet nobody can even remotely explain why it would only happen in some people, and hot water baths can cure it apparently, well last I checked taking a bath is neither medicine and its certainly not affecting your cannabinoid receptors. Anyways, I think its just another fad sickness that originated from people taking too much edibles and feeling sick. But what are your thoughts or experiences?

1 Like

My theory was that it had to do with pesticides. I only heard people taking “hot relief showers” during pre-2017 days…

If it’s PGRs causing it, we’d know. It’s a lot more common (I know of three rec farms…) and there’d be more suffering heard of.

1 Like

I have definitely gotten the “bellyhurtsbellyhurtsbellyhurtsbellyhurts” from cannabis in the past. I think I generally brought it on myself with loads of munchies depending on the night, though. I don’t believe I suffer from it anymore though. I wonder if it is a reaction to certain terpenes? I notice that I am super sensitive to certain terps. When I smoke certain strains, especially the peppery tasting strains, it has a tendency to hit me right in the gut. Not unlike a literal gut punch. I have also gotten super hystemic response to certain strains as well where I get sneezy and itchy and runny nose like I’ve been baling hay.

2 Likes

My sister in law works in an ER and has seen it. She was confused herself why it seems so rare and only effecting certain people. But it does exist in the wild it’s not made up by reporters.

10 Likes

My roommate got it once. It was right about the time he switched from smoking flower to smoking concentrates exclusively. After about 6 months or so he started to feel its effects. Same sickness, stomach pain that can only be relieved by hot showers. He went to the doctors and they told him it was CHS. He stepped away for dabs for a little while and it went away. As for it being real I would say it is because it went away once he lowered his intake of cannabis.

2 Likes

i think it’s hard to deny that it’s rearing its head as a Real Thing, but i’m absolutely with you in that I consider anything that suddenly new/trending might be simple ignorance and hysteria, deliberate or otherwise. like yeah what mechanism could possibly be at play that involves internal stomach pain that’s relieved by an external hot water shower??
if it’s the THC, shit, people have been consuming that as smoke and edibles here for decades;
if it’s pesticides, one could wager that there are less pesticides in today’s weed than in prior decades due to widespread mandatory testing and consumer demand. and pesticides are all over most people’s foods, cannabis consumer or not.

very curious, it does seem like it’s a bit early to have pinned down a ‘syndrome’ but i guess they’ve gotta call it something. looking forward to seeing how this one develops

I started a thread about it not knowing, but there’s an old @beaker post about it as well… somewhere here

2 Likes

Beakers words:

It is interesting to note that the worse case scenario taken up by that paper is that the people who react this way to obsessive and in the case of your friend attempts at hiding use present the major problem of simply eating up emergency room resources.

In the case of your friend the report is that he has been lying about his behavior. Of course the trouble with using this as a statistic is the obvious question; what else is he not disclosing? This syndrome is like many really insofar as it seems to be a diagnosis that is not obvious at first, requires what a typical doctor thinks is multiple tests, scans, and even opiod treatment, and ultimately requires truth telling on the patients part to diagnose.

In your friends case he has shown what the study claims is typical behavior and continues to injest whatever it is he is ingesting that falls under the HUGE blanket category of majiuanna use. Since he lies about it as others would it would be tough to nail down what the issue is. I had a million allergies as a kid and got shots daily for them. Most have moderated and the few I have are dealt with. Orange juice, apple juice, or grape juice, are all mild poisons to me this way. I can tell you that if I showed up after gulping down a quart of orange juice and lied about it that most of what goes down in the report quoted would be played out too. The difference of course is I am not showing addictive behavior towards that substance so deception would make no sense.

I have long suspected personally that concentrating terpenes and inhaling them without a combustion cycle to break them down would surely present itself in the decades to come as a chronic health risk. The paper talks about abdominal pain. The paper does not attempt to explain why. Could it be that excessive and ongoing hacking and coughing are tearing up your guts lolz? In the case of your friend who engages in deception you made mention of extremely suspicious “other” admitted to behavior involving alcohol and fungus consumption. Since this is a rare syndrome given the number of folks now using pot the rarity of it is almost certainly linked to a behavioural lifestyle. In other words people like your deceptive friend may keep returning to use out of extreme anxiety that is otherwise not treated. Your anecdotal info that he is injesting new exotic things like those mushrooms would lead me to believe he experiments otherwise too and fibs about it.

This syndrome smacks of something other than simple marijuanna usage. At first glance it appears to be a compulsive disorder of some kind that based now on decades of legitimate and illegitimate access to high potency weed is only just popping up in a minor portion of the population. The health risk is discomfort. The public health risk is consuming emergency department resources. Unlike alcohol the risk of cessation carries no withdrawl symptoms typical of alcohol or opiod and in fact cessation carries immediate relief unlike those other drugs. The real danger here and no joke is that a much more serious problem that the symptoms could indeed be something much more serious but the only diagnostic “fit” is this new syndrome.

This smacks of an untreated compulsive/anxiety disorder and good luck treating it by simply telling the patient to stop trying to medicate it. When I was morbidly obese tipping the scales over 375 pounds and closing in on 400 I had all kinds of people inform me it was not good for me. However until I treated the underlying anxiety (PTSD) in a formal setting it made no difference. Once the anxiety was treated, partly with MMJ, I lost all the weight down to size and weight proportional. The obesity was not the disease, it was a symptom.

BeakerImmortalMentor

Thank you, beaker

15 Likes

I’ll state my own experience with it. It comes at least once every two weeks, sometime a week. I notice it more in the morning. I’ll also notice it more right after a regular time I’d take a dab (morning, night) if I forego it for tolerance purposes or my throat hurts, I will get very nauseated. The nausea itself is usually gone in three - five minutes after a bit of wretching stomach acid.

Or I could have cancer somewhere, who knows.

My weird personal theory- I have no gal bladder, because of that I stay away from edibles. However, when I cough up wax from a dab, or there is residue in my mouth, it obviously goes to my stomach in the same path an edible would. That think I personally is what causes the occasional nausea.

2 Likes

fuckin :kissing_smiling_eyes: :ok_hand: muah right there, thank you for posting and thank you Beaker

3 Likes

Also has anyone ever researched or thought about weakening of the esophageal muscles from the chronic coughing and burning?

1 Like

I’ve had very similar symptoms but hadn’t heard of chs until recently. I always thought it was pancreatitis or related as my father had pancreatitist and had his gallbladder removed. Incidentally, even though I wasn’t a heavy drinker and only drank sporadically, I quit about a year and a half ago and haven’t been sick since.

5 Likes

I used to experience this with flower and bong rips and bad sourcing. I stick to dabs now and haven’t had this issue.

2 Likes

I think it’s pesticides like Neem Oil, and pesticides in general and what beaker said too. Number of reasons and causes but nothing definitive. For all we know, it could be something else entirely not related to cannabis use or if it is, its something like a pesticide or high amounts of terpenes and high intakes of THC in high doses or all 3. Like what beaker mentioned about the high concentration of terpenes and potency in general. I personally think its a mix of placebo and issues caused by the product and person too.

This is something that will need a lot of research put into it. Sadly don’t see much about it. Would love to see papers or studies done in depth on this.

2 Likes

…and a link to the rest of that thread

Possible serious health problems with pot use

…because that was my buddy, and quitting pot solved the problem.

A couple or three times before he really took it to heart.

And I’ve got an 19yr old with the same diagnosis who doesn’t buy it, and hasn’t quit…

5 Likes

My colleague has CHS… Smoked 5-10g, after 10 years of excesive use he couldnt smoke a joint without starting to throw up and getting laied out for that particular day… .

When he stopped and then started to smoke 10% of his r3gular daily dose per day, never stopped.

Diagnoses, doctors could help for the love of God.

Then he came up with the forkkoksa CHS theory… Stopped for a year and now he can enjoy his cannabis again with no syndrom…

We still aint sure of it, but it seems that chs os real🙃

RIP Redturtle.

2 Likes

My best friend suffers from this “syndrome”. He literally can only smoke flower. Never had the chance to interact with beaker but what he says makes alot of sense.

My homeboy has anxiety, and other mental health conditions(don’t we all) and was taking large dabs every 35 - 60min.

He lost a ton of weight too. Like literally melted. I’ve always kinda wondered if we reach a fat saturation/ chemical imbalance point where our bodies decide burning the fats off will fix it.

2 Likes

I wonder if any of these people smoke cigarettes as well as weed whom are affected by chs…

2 Likes

Lots of my friends who experienced CHS had one thing in common poor diet . They would wake up smoke cannabis not eat anything for 3-4 hours then eat shitty greasy food like fast food . It is almost like a ulcer caused from cannabis that is exasperated from smoking. I have had friends keep consuming and power through others quit entirely and never looked back both are “cured” . It really seems like a cannabis ulcer . Also the endocannabinoid controls many things such as pain, memory, mood, immunity, and stress. Throwing it way out of balance is sure to have some consequences which we may not fully understand yet

7 Likes