Debate Thread: Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome; real, or a myth?

I have back problems(dry and deteriorating discs)(etc) and weed/dabs help the pain, but coughing makes it hella worse

2 Likes

I can imagine. Iā€™ve never had back problems but lately the coughing is coughing a massive ache at the base of my skull, usually triggered when coughing.

1 Like

CHS is very real. Iā€™ve smoked from 9-22 years old. I recently have smoked some conversion oil and high pgr buds in LA (not sure what caused it). And I puked blood for 6 days and went to 2 different LA hospitals. Very upsetting considering my whole passion and business revolves around cannabis. Afraid I canā€™t smoke againā€¦. Any advice would be appreciated.

Take a break to break the cyclical symptoms, and when you come back, ease into it slowly and stop at a low dose. Every case Iā€™ve heard of involves relatively heavy users (several grams of bud, or equivalent of oil). Iā€™ve never heard of someone who uses < 1 grams a day suffer from CHS.

The only common denominator Iā€™ve seen is ā€œheavy useā€ (put in quotes because what stoners see as regular is often heavy by common standards).

2 Likes

How many people with CHS are just dope sick fiends? I am skeptical

You seriously think dopesick junkies would be forming online communities and whatnot trying to learn more about their mystery condition? All the junkies I know are fully aware of what being dope sick is.

1 Like

Opiate addicts will learn how to break time release gel matrixes with a microwave just to get a oxy80 to slap.

Committee11-5-17-2012 (1).pdf (126.6 KB)

If theyā€™re smart enough to get high. Theyā€™re smart enough to prolong being high and mitigate/endure negative effects

Iā€™m skeptical is all Iā€™m gonna say.

1 Like

Only time weed has ever repeatedly given me a stomach ache, we got some cbd isolate, after testing found out it had over 1000ppm of pentane, if I ate it without a full belly, terrible excruciating stomach aches, didnā€™t get to try hot shower.

1 Like

Lots of people have read chs in article headlines and have never heard of greening out. I have a buddy with it, its definitely real but its way more uncommon than people think. Alot of people get feeling bad confused with chs, you cant only smoke flower or dab less if you have chs, if you can consume any amount of cannabinoid you definitely do not have chs you probably just need a break, find cleaner stuff, smoke cleaner, etc, in my opinion. The name is cannabinoid hyperemeis syndrome but you dont have it if you green out, thats just smoking too much weed. The name is not the best because it misleads people into thinking they have it if they puke or get sick. Chs should be the diagnosis when the reaction of ingesting any amount of cannabinoid, psychoactive or not, looks and feels more like an allergy or poison. My buddy for a long time, 6ish years, couldnt smoke a flake of weed or he would have some adverse side effects like stomach pain, nausea, if he had anymore than a flake he would need a hot shower for awhile and be in pretty severe stomach pain, puking, groggy and stuff on top of that. Im talking flakes, probably less than 10mg thc after smoked. It also happens with cbd, thats been my way to test if its been thc or the high making him uncomfortable. The same shitty side effects would occur when having a bit of cbd flower or concentrate.

1 Like

They failed more than once at that attempt and the streets still found a work around

I had a friend in high school that got CHS once. 3 of us smoked a quarter bag on a Sunday, he didnā€™t come back to school until Friday. His parents took him to the hospital because he was throwing up pretty bad on Monday, doc said he had CHS.

He told us he basically had the munchies for 3 days straight and just kept eating until he puked over and over again. He didnā€™t smoke for a month after that, never happened to him again though.

Doesnā€™t sound like CHSā€¦

3 Likes

Sounds a lot like youā€™re not trusting the expertsā€¦

1 Like

Imo very few MDs qualify as experts on CHS.

Iā€™ve seen two folks diagnosed with it, and believe one of them was spot on.

The other still looks like lazy on the MDā€™s part.

2 Likes

Iā€™m inclined to think whatever CHS is has more to do with the gut biome than the brain personally.

What do I know though, Iā€™m just a forklift driver pretending to be an expert.

:melting_face:

2 Likes

Then flinging poo should solve it.

Which sounds like a testable hypothesisā€¦

Caveat: fecal transplants have killed

1 Like

Agreed, although Iā€™ll not be volunteering for squirting someone elseā€™s poop up my ass.

I think Iā€™d rather just not smoke weed, lol

Worth noting: my old friendā€™s CHS diagnosis was almost 20 years ago, Iā€™d hope thereā€™s better information on the subject nowadays.

1 Like