Crystallization of NN DMT from phalaris arundinaceA

Certain strains of phalaris grass contain roughly .1 percent of NN DMT. It’s typically extracted with an a/b extraction, however the end result is a gummy substance. Most people dissolve it in ethanol, then soak smokable herbs into the ethanol and let it dry out, basically making change. Is there a way to essentially crystallize the gummy DMT? Also specifically big medicine or yugo red for the strains as others have varying dmt content and can contain graphene, as well as 5 meo dmt.

4 Likes

This is a cannabis forum

3 Likes

From what I remember about this is the alkaloid content of phalaris grasses is extremely variable. I could never find any specific conditions that cause an increase in alkaloid content. Lots of conflicting stuff in the literature.

2 Likes

I realize that which is why I posted in Ground Up. The description says “The place for research and news on non cannabis plants, fungi and more.” If my post is inappropriate for the forum I’m sorry but it’s a chemistry question, nothing more. I came here for a legit answer instead of some erowid response from an anonymous poster.

36 Likes

From what I’ve found so far, alot of people have isolated a few strains and bred them out according to your desired alkaloids. They’re crazy expensive for clones considering it’s an invasive species. Seeds are almost always sold out.

From what I understand the phalaris AQ-1 strain can only be propagated by clone only.

Would you be able to give the final extract a solvent bath through a filter and freeze the dmt out of the solvent?

What is your process currently looking like?

Not per se “my” process, but freeze/thaw and repeat to rupture cell wall. Add water. Add acid (vinegar), strain. Add naptha for defatting. Into seperation funnel. Funnel aqueous layer. Then lye, followed by more naptha to retrieve the salt. Pipette the naptha out with the alkaloids in it after 24 hours and put into main collection jar. Three more extractions every three weeks. At the end of your waiting period, pour all collected fractions into a cooking pan and let it dry. You’ll get a darker gummy substance.

IIRC gramine is also present in these extracts and its difficult to remove it.

When you add the acetic acid you’ll be converting the alkaloids into their salt forms, when you add lye and bring the ph to 8-9 you will be turning your alkaloids from the salt form into the freebase form.

You could probably recrystallize like your saying, dissolve in hot naphtha then freeze to precipitate the freebase. Only problem is the yield of alkaloids is so highly variable unless you’ve created your own true strain or if you have a genuine AQ-1 plant.

I hear extraction is kind of a pain in the ass, I bet a panda spinner would be pretty awesome for this. From what I’ve read you got to extract it fresh otherwise a signifcant amount of alkaloids are enzymatically degraded in the drying process.

The average guy might as well just extract from MHRB or ACRB.

I’ve been wondering lately if you could salt freebase alkaloids directly out of a non polar solvent by adding p-tosic acid to the solution. @Roguelab what u think?

3 Likes

I agree. A “friend” of mine has done both a/b and s/b extractions with mhrb. Initially, they just bought the regular bark. That was a mistake. Only powdered from here on out. The only thing is that it’s basically impossible to source here in America. Especially with covid, packages that would normally take two weeks take two months or longer. Also a lot of scam vendors. A lot of vendors don’t stay in business. It’s about as much of a gamble as it would be to source, say, 5 different clones of a known high alkaloid strain, extract each one and essentially pheno hunt. I think once psychedelics become legalized, the hunt for a more efficient way to product dmt will be a main goal. The same can be done with 5 meo dmt. Save both the trees and the frogs

1 Like

If I remember correctly there’s an invasive species in Hawaii that needs to be eradicated and the folks sell the root bark they get when they tear these plants out.

I don’t think it’s mimosa, maybe ACRB.

I’ll link u to where I get my mhrb, it’s not hard to source in America. Personally I wouldn’t get the powdered bark, I would get the full rootbark pieces. You never know if they add sawdust or some shit to the powder you get.

Gonna need a good grinder though, that bark is tough.

6 Likes

You’re the best!

ACRB would be the sustainable choice

For MHRB I usually buy from this place but I guess they won’t ship to US right now

Here’s another good place.

5 Likes

almost, but no

1 Like

Try a single or double solvent recrystallization.

Primebark is a good source. “Swim” has seen anywhere from 1-3% returns off their powdered mhrb

2 Likes

Now your comment on my post makes sense your just one of those sarcastic commenters

I think they make fences using that material.

Sometimes it’ll randomly smell like deemerz too, they use it for fires

2 Likes

Maybe he genuinely thought people interested in cannabis extraction wouldn’t be interested in extraction of other plants.