Crystal Resistant Distillate

So, I remember reading that crystal resistant CBD distillate sells for significantly more than the non-resistant stuff. Based on my recent finding out that one can distill CBDA via wiped film, if I were a betting man, I’d say that’s how they’re doing it.

If this is true, people are paying significantly more money for technically less CBD (being that decarb leaves 87.7% CBD) which seems crazy to me.

Does this information change things? If that’s really the thing, why isn’t all of it being made this way? Maybe you can only distill so much CBDA and the ratio has to be x:y to ensure “resistance” or something.

Thoughts?

5 Likes

I work pretty closely with a bunch of farms in OR and CO and having liters of CBD distillate inventory or CBD vape carts suddenly crystallize is not ideal - thus the original incarnation of “resistant distillate” was simply to make it shelf stable.

You already touched on the relevant points and are on the right track.

CBD has a naturally occurring crystaline structure and so as you get closer to 100% purity, such as with SPD, the resulting decarbed oil naturally wants to crystallize. It’s actually a sign that your disty tek is on point.

The “crystallization resistance” as you’ve referenced can be achieved via the formulation ratio of CBD and CBDa. Leaving some acids inhibits crystallization and leaves you with a shelf stable product.

9 Likes

Do you have some proof of the claim that you can distill CBDA?

5 Likes

It should be, and clearly is based on hands I’ve seen raised, in a wiped film or other low residence time molecular distillation rig.

It was certainly news to me a week ago.

Coming from SPD where decarb is critical to getting it right, most deliberately decarb before going into WFE.

If you think about the residence times, it should certainly be possible to distil acidic cannabinoids.

4 Likes

Running un-decarbed material through a wiped film can lead to inordinate sizzling of the oil which will splash onto the condenser. I would like some direct evidence that the CBDA is actually being vaporized and distilled rather than it just being crude splashing onto the condenser and in this manner carrying over.

Or do you mean this is being done in a wiped film with an external condenser?

1 Like

@ORHemp Was the the one who let the cat out of the bag. If this is indeed the case.

My thoughts were originally along the lines of very well processed crude, or cryo ethanol CBDA crude, mixed with CBD distillate.

4 Likes

Ding Ding. This ^

Not sure I’ve ever seen “CBDa Distillate”, but what you’ve described above is exactly how we are achieving this - aka Cheat Tek :sob:

Cheat Tek:

Starting Material: THC < LOD / High CBD

Extract, Post-Process, Roto (72f / 29hg), Purge.

Use this CBDa oil to cut your CBD distillate down.

It doesn’t take much and I believe the target was to get your distillate cut/watered down to around 80% CBD. I believe 4% by weight was a formula that worked well for our 83% distillate. You still end up with 83-84% Total cannabinoids (CBDa + CBD).

PS - make sure you’re heat/homogenizing the oil blends. Especially once you figure out your ratio and go to cut your batch.

17 Likes

not in a position to argue :joy:

Like I said the concept is brand new in my world.

Even if I had a glass WFE rather than stainless, it would never have occurred to me to feed it undecarbed material…

If running un-decarbed crude causes splashing (presumably we are postulating decarb here) and some portion skips actual evaporation, and that makes ones disitilate resistant to crystallization does it matter if the operator doesn’t know how it works?

2 Likes

I’ll be finding out if it works in the near future.

1 Like

I mean I suppose if you’re running very pristine feedstock a little splashing wouldn’t hurt the distillate quality much. I still think the question is interesting from a chemistry perspective though, and would have some implications. If it works for CBDA it should also work for THCA and could be a way easier pathway to crystals than what people are doing currently.

1 Like

There was no splashing of the crude onto the condenser. I was feeding black crude in a glass WFE so I would’ve noticed. That distillation was a long time ago and I only mentioned it in response to ExTek saying that CBDa cannot be distilled. I don’t recommend anyone do it as a way to avoid crystallization, because it’s an inefficient use of a WFE. The crude had a quick devol pass already so it wasn’t splashing at all but I did have to run it slower than normal. Excess pressure (that my pumps couldn’t handle) was created either by leftover volatiles or perhaps CO2 released from decarboxylation in the still body.

1 Like

What evaporator temperature did you run at?

I have never used a roto vap before so I apologize about the naive question, but what is the (29hg) in reference to?

29” column of Mercury (Hg).

A measure of how much air is not there.

7 Likes

Nice, that makes sense. Thank you!

You must be verifued before slinging your cbd peoducts. This is the 3rd thread youve spammed in.

5 Likes

I think I managed to make a kilo of this, it sits at 74% CBD, 4% THC, and 83% total cannabinoids (CBG and CBC being the rest.)

It’s been on my shelf for 2 weeks without even a hint of nucleation. I tried to crash crystals on a 250ml sample of it with absolutely zero precipitation.

Anyone know what average potency is on crystal resistant CBD distillate?

2 Likes

looks like the cbd distillate i get from first pass SPD from CO2 crude. Literally the same haha

1 Like

fwiw GUUD quoted me at 11k for a liter of their crystal resistant disty. Imgur: The magic of the Internet shows a lab of theirs. Why so high on the CBC?

1 Like

Probably using a base to isomerize the thc.

3 Likes