CRC taste like shit change my mind

Nothing wrong with that goal.

Seems separable from “CRC tastes like shit”.

5 Likes

That may be true .2 micro may stop it idk. But like you said prewashing fixes it also so I am hoping I the future this will be mentioned in sops

1 Like

Having performed ethanol CRC in a scaled manner from @TheLostBiologist’s tek, I can say that yes, there can be some cloudiness, but really, it was never something I saw. I would get media that passed through as the puck (cake) settled, BUT I could pass the same (polluted) alcohol through the same filter and achieve perfect clarity and no pass-through.

If washing the media is something you are recommending, how is it that I can use the same (admittedly polluted) solvent (usually 3 times to ensure no pass-through) and end up washing it clean? By your logic, wouldn’t these residues you speak of still be polluting the solvent?

(All of this was done woth 190 proof ethanol/no denaturants, and we’ve been talking about/actually doing this for years!)

2 Likes

If you are washing tour media obviously that solvent is designated as dirty and is not to be combined with clean solvent

If you’re not using anything that’s been acid washed. This isn’t a concern, right?

I’ve stated that I filter down to the furthest depth possible.

2 Likes

BUT THAT IS THE WHOLE DAMN POINT OF USING THE MAGIC DIRT! IT CLEANS THE SOLVENT AND/OR EXTRACT!

(sorry for yelling)

2 Likes

Sorry for yelling lol

3 Likes

Also, I might add. Washing your media only rinses the fines at the bottom of the filtration bed. And also has the capability of causing more friction with the media, enabling it to break down more and create more fines, potentially coming along with your actual run. Which you are trying to avoid in the first place. This is a conversation that I had with @Photon_noir a while back

6 Likes

I haven’t been privileged to try .2 micron so idk this may fix the problem but I’ve washed celite 545 and it turned ethonal cloudy so seems like acid ol
Or not things are getting past 1 micron

I have had plenty of media pass either through or around a 1um filter (almost as much as a coffee filter/20um). That is the reasoning for multiple passes of solvent to “set” the media.

3 Likes

I can see this happening . Alls I kno is after the first cloudy wash the second wash doesnt effect clarity of the ethonal

1 Like

Have you tried that with the same dirty solvent? Maybe next time try running the same dirty stuff through, and you’ll be amazed how it cleans itself.

1 Like

Celite, depending on the source, especially dolomite

Side track.

That jackass dr no nonsense. His buddy (holy water) is the one who’s extracts he posted constantly. He hated crc, his buddy (holy water) hated crc and couldn’t do it correctly. Used paper filters and dolomite. Dolomite has such small fines that it’s extremely, extremely hard to filter. Probably worse than carbon.

Celite has lots of fines created by friction and not a media we really ever use. And in this application it’s not even the correct media to use.

2 Likes

How is it acid residue if celite isn’t being heated to the point of reaction with the acid complex it’s bonded with?

You are not qualified to participate in this conversation. You are a consumer. Go away and read more before you try to come round these parts spittin bullshit

edit…read the rest of the thread. So you’ve smoked CRC hash once or twice and didnt like it and you’ve used ethanol over celite…as some sort of relevance to nothing.

For real…you’re just here to complain

4 Likes

You obviously didnt read the thread. I’ve tried crc hash and it tastes acidic as others have mentioned above… so being bored I decided to experiment. I have clay silica celite ethonal and a funnel from back in the day so I packed each separately into the funnel and the ethonal comes out cloudy the first pass. Then it comes out clear leading me to believe stuff is getting through and a prewash should be standard. YOU ARE THE ONE WHO is coming in here twisting what I am saying and talking shit . I wish we could flag instigators like yourself because people like you derail threads and get everyone arguing instead debating and reasoning.

1 Like

Dry Packing powders onto a buchner funnel will most likely lead to some powder pulling through until the filter sets. I don’t think that this is residues, but rather the powder itself. That is why when you pour the ethanol back through the filter again that it comes out clear.

5 Likes

You absolutely can! If you feel a comment warrants flagging for derailing a thread, by all means, please flag away! The only thing stopping you is yourself. There’s no guarantee a mod will necessarily side with you, but unless you take action against comments that bother you, makes complaining seem a bit silly. Arguing back in an elevated tone only seems to perpetuate the issue, so if looking for an end, there are easier ways to approach. (*Note to self: Don’t forget to practice what I preach! Haha)

Now that we’re back on topic (haha), @Distillforeal, have you experimented with other solvents aside from ethanol. Most hydrocarbons behave differently with adsorbents. I would imagine, as certain media are only suitable for use with hydrocarbons, your experimenting should also involve more solvents.

Got any others lying around to play with. I’m guessing you would have some difference when performing this experiment with different solvents. This thread is generally focused on hydrocarbon extracts, which is why I’m wondering about expanding your experimentation.

7 Likes

This at @TwistedStill or myself?

You always need to a) bake your media, b) flush your fines before any run, and c) keep your column charged until you’re done using it.

8 Likes