CRC Sintered Mesh Discs / Pleated SS filters / CUSTOM MICRON GRADES / USA MADE

I attended MJBIZ 2019 in Vegas and realized there are many uses for the types of SS media our company manufactures for various industries. Please help me understand the purpose and uses of sintered SS and how can it be improved.

We an ISO:9001 facility who specializes in custom filtration solutions that may be able to help this industry determine the best methods of CRC and other areas of filtration. Please reach out to me through here or send me an email with any questions.

2020-01-06T05:00:00Z

12 Likes

Welcome @TimC! I’d love to try some of your solutions! I’m sure you’ll get a bunch a feedback from us here.

6 Likes

Welcome Tim, I’m actually hoping you can tell us that…

Yeah, we’ve got a reasonable number of places where filtration is key, and some folks who have taught themselves enough to get the job done or find an expert to guide them through, but the fact is that on the whole, folks are mostly clueless about filtration.

10 Likes

@cyclopath Understood. In order for us to determine the best method we need to have better understanding of your end goal and process conditions. It seems though and correct me if I’m wrong that not everyone’s extraction equipment is setup the same. If you’d like to send me an email with more of your process conditions I may be able to help guide you into the right direction.

2 Likes

not looking for any specific solution right now. At least none I’m willing to divulge on an open forum :wink:

Was hoping for some general discussion on the uses and advantages of what you have on the shelf.

The level of understanding of filtration has definitely increased around here since the advent of Color Remediation Cartridges, but there is still a need (for instance) for a discussion on the right way to use a sintered disk when packing a tube with adsorbants.

I’ve got all the fish I need right now. I was hoping you could teach the rest of the village how it’s done…,

7 Likes

i work for peanuts…we wanna know what you know… a lot of us are using and selling sintered mesh filter plates… what kinda solutions are you offering? you have some pricing to look at?

4 Likes

Well for open forum discussion purposes…it would be good to understand what is currently being used and what improvements are desired, common failures, concerns etc.

We have the ability to manufacture custom filters using different mesh grades and improving upon the current “standard” Unfortunately the first step requires understanding what that standard is…and so I think this post may help guide us in that direction.

As an example, here are some of “standard” layups although this can be easily modified depending on flow rate, DP, particle retention requirements, etc.

8 Likes

Good start!

Disks with directionality, support, prefilter, and distribution layer!!!

Vs sintered disc fail

No directionality or support.

Perhaps one of those teaching the CRC process could step in and give you a run down? @Dred_pirate? @murphymurri?

Or you can slog through the threads describing the various ways folks are implementing…

3 Likes

@Killa12345 I cannot readily quote you a solution without knowing what you are looking for. As you can see in my other reply I gave some examples of what we offer in terms of standard mesh layups. We do also offer sintered SS metal powder which looks more like a solid plate but is porous. This media has more of a depth characteristic and gets clogged much more easily as the particles get deeply entrapped into the media whereas mesh offers more permeability and is much easier to clean. Using a multi-layer sintered mesh can prevent a lot of the broken discs I’ve seen on some of these posts. The primary determining factor is maximum allowable differential pressure vs flow.

1 Like

@TimC thanks for coming aboard. Do you offer pressure leaf filtration and in-line sock filtration? Also can you give us the pro vs cons of these types of filtration compared to sintered disc/ mesh disc filtration. Issues we’re having is post process purification media clogging and some of us think that most people are not 100% filtering out all the media from the beds which can cause negative health effects.

They are encountering higher back pressure and less effective liquid/solid framework on the fixed beds from inadequate filtration methods and bed layering. This inevitable happens leas knowledgable operators push with higher pressure through the beds. I’ve been saying this for a while but I’m glad somebody is on board who can give more in-depth description of what’s happening that’s coming from a vendor that supplies the petroleum industry.

Also I’ve heard of resins layering filter socks for better flow. Any insight on this?

Thank you.

4 Likes

@Juice311 Unfortunately we do not offer large bulk particle filtration. We can however look at designing a custom centrifuge that removes particles down to say 40um or so using a sintered mesh to perforated plate drum filter. This would help prevent large particles making its way further into the process and be a sustainable solution since you could clean the drum. You would still be required to use sock filters but I still think this would prevent clogging downstream. Another solution would be to run your product through a bank of pleated SS filters prior to any further processing. Or do both! :wink:

1 Like

Ha!!

You should see some of the custom “centrifuges” this lot comes up with :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Using a sintered laminate mesh material would serve it’s purpose. See some pics.

3 Likes

Could someone help me understand what the current sintered discs construction is? Are they multi-layer or single?

I believe most of the filters everyone is using is the powdered sinter?

Then underneath usually there is a support plate of perforated steel.

Most of what I’ve seen looks like mesh, what is working best?

I’m wrong it looks like now, the post above has a pic of some filters some people are using. Looking close it looks like a wire mesh.

i know the sintered disc I and several others have used from utah biodiesel are the powder metal.

This is what I have experience with, I can’t speak for the wire mesh one.

I personally had quality control issues with my items, but beyond that. It worked well.

1 Like

I bet you know that answer better than I do! What type do you suggest for this application? The filtration of these fine powders.

Do you know of anyone that has a basic but well explained process and flow diagram? I’d like to get a better understanding of the entire process and see where filters can be implemented.