CRC should be called CRF change my mind

The filtration technique everyone kn this industry is using is exactly that, a filtration. People calling this process chromatography honestly don’t know what chromatography is. There is no fractioning happening here, so how about we correct the nomenclature?

7 Likes

Very true.

Post one in the c.r.c thread calls it a color remediation cartridge :person_shrugging:

I prefer “magic dirt tube” myself

23 Likes

I don’t care if you call it color remediation clown shoes…

CRC has also been deconstructed as

color remediation cartridge (original meaning, as coined here)
color remediation column
color remediation cup

( I saw “column” and “cup” at BVV first…don’t see “cup” there at this point)

some folks are fractionating…Color remediation chromatography

that is certainly my current goal.

EDIT: …and when using some of these media, “color remediation cat litter” would not be unreasonable…

23 Likes

I agree, but what if they are reducing their solvent before the crc column and then they are collecting fractions from their CRC? and what if each of this collected fractions contain different ratios of compounds?

Still just filtration? or can we now call it chromatography?

8 Likes

maybe you’d like to purchase my new Color Remediation Absorbant Packs?

10 Likes

C just stands for column in many worlds including my own

Which is why it makes sense and isn’t redundant at all for me to say “CRC column”

1 Like

What I want to know is who is calling it color remediation chromatography? I don’t think I’ve heard it called that before. Always color remediation cartridge or column.

2 Likes

Before its said I think we can all agree by definition a crc is still chromatography even if you aren’t collecting fractions, but its doing the term chromatography a discredit, at least call it subpar chromatography or lazy chroma, or maybe we should call it the king of chroma and its own ego could carry itself to the top of the ranks and yell at all other forms of chromatography.

Chromatography: the separation of a mixture by passing it in solution or suspension or as a vapor (as in gas chromatography) through a medium in which the components move at different rates.

a CRC is a medium that causes components to move at different rates.

10 Likes

You can see a back and fourth about this same topic here.

2 Likes

I have never heard it called that.

I always said color remediation column.

I’m simple tho…

7 Likes

I can agree with that but I’m also in the same boat as @Hansel… Simple

2 Likes

Sometimes there is fractioning happening. I’ve repeatedly been able to separate terpenes from cannabinoids with a chromatography column. I’ve also separated neem / seed oil from the majority of the cannabinoid content.

9 Likes

Is this a Headydabber shill thread?

10 Likes

There are plenty of people who do fraction their crc runs like @murphymurri . I collect my terps and cannabinoid fractions in one and throw away my waste fraction . To each their own

3 Likes

@TheGratefulPhil, care to chime in on this

It’s both.

If you have the ability and the know how, this can be a method for chromatographic separation.

However, its typical use in the industry is as an adsorption & filtration process—most people using CRC only care about improving the color of their extract and nothing else, in this case I would never argue that it’s chromatography.

But if someone like @cyclopath or @murphymurri is diligently separating components and gathering data about retention times, etc how could one make the claim that it ISNT chromatography?

13 Likes

You cant, because it is chromatography.

5 Likes

Big facts

1 Like

Even though this still falls neatly into the definition of chromatography?

The components of crude that make up the extract’s color are moving at a slower rate than the rest of the components. Is this not still chromatography by definition?

As I see it, the definition is not exclusive to cleanly separating measured fractions. Glad we get to have this discussion again so I can bang my head against a wall in frustration. There certainly aren’t enough reasons to already do that! Haha

5 Likes