CRC should be called CRF change my mind

using a crc in traditional way is still chromatography by definition. YEP! bang that head!

its just a poor application of chromatography.

3 Likes

Here we go again :rofl:

6 Likes

I’d argue that it is not chromatography if you don’t at least attempt to separate components based on retention times. If you blast all the way through the CRC without separating—sure there are still components that haven’t had enough time to elute, but you’ve stacked several eluted fractions on top of one another and so there’s hardly any chromatographic separation.

Kinda seems like semantics at this point

5 Likes

exactly! and that’s why its continually brought back up.

Its just semantics.

4 Likes

You are removing color which is 1000% a fraction.
The only people that would think this isnt chroma are people that just dont understand the science

1 Like

Aren’t semantics how we define everything (and refine said definitions)? Without discussions like these, we would not have the refined language to have these more complex discussions.

As much as these conversations frustrate me, I am appreciative of everyone’s contribution.

2 Likes

Wait, what? We had this discussion on another thread didn’t we?

I said,

"I respect you as an intelligent likely highly educated man so I not trying to be smarmy or uppity but here’s the difference. The process of removing unwanted molecules/matter whether by adsorption affinity, polar affinity or good ol particle size restriction wherein the unwanted shit remains in the filtration media is filtration. It differs from chromatography in that particles/molecules are allowed, and expected to pass through the media wherein they are collected based on their retention times in said media. Semantics? Possibly. Science Absolutely!

And you said…

"I appreciate the well thought out response, but I still must disagree.

It’s chromatography, even if it’s not accurate or precise chromatography. Separation of mixtures in a mobile phase by use of a selective affinity stationary phase is chromatography!"

What am I missing here…I know it’s me 'cause you’re @TheGratefulPhil!

1 Like

Hi,
C.R.C stands for color remediation cartridge, it was the name we coined for our filter column.

5 Likes

Hi,
Check out this short video, it explains absorption chromatography.
Adsorption chromatography - YouTube.

While this may be true that the compounds are not eluted as individual components, there is still a separation between the color compounds and the cannabinoids to some degree.
:man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Oops, different day different opinion :grimacing:

At the end of the day, it is still kinda chromatography but kinda not.

Ultimately you are separating things based on retention times but you end up stacking those separated fractions in your column.

Semi-chromatography?

3 Likes

I’ll kinda accept that… :+1:

4 Likes

Collecting everything but the undesirables into one fraction is still fractionation, and the differing retention time of components does not make it seem like it needs some kind of qualifier (semi-) or modified definition.

Sorry, my particular flavor of the 'tism keeps me more literal in definition than I would always care to be. I still do not see how the process we are referring to is not chromatography.

4 Likes

I’ll say it again…

If there were but two components in your starting product and one stayed in the filter and the other was eluted, i would grit my teeth and call it chromatography. IF YOU DO NOT SEPARATE THE COMPLONENTS OF THE ELUTANT IT IS NOT CHROMATOGRAPHY. In my humble opinion…

2 Likes

We drive on the parkway and park in the driveway. Think about it but don’t loose sleep.

8 Likes

Color Remediation Clay :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Just think of it as really poor chromatography (poor selectivity, resolution, theoretical plates, high HETP) and it’s more palatable , but I get what you’re saying. The point here isn’t a complete separation of compounds, but to fractionate them using the ‘technicality’ wrong stationary (normal) phase because resolution and selectivity aren’t the main concern - you don’t want the compounds in stationary phase for too long because trying to isolates everything creates more work. It could make sense for cannabis. Maybe a better term would be ‘fractioning’ or ‘partitioning’ an extract?

This, I mean fractionation or partitioning, is something CO2 extractors do all the time, separating terpenes and then cannabinoids/waxes.
The more I think about it the more I realize that trying to do this with a closed loop hydrocarbon system and silica Is the more compelling case for CO2 as a more robust extraction method and For those who cannot afford CO2 systems.

3 Likes

Nice acronym

ColoRectalCommunication CRC
Can’t Really Care

1 Like

If CRC is chromatography than we are all chemists let’s be real who here is pouring straight from a CRC column into jars with all that gas?

When did chromatography mean filtered and recollected in bulk - for solvent reduction than a pour?! id bet 99% are filtering into a collection pot than pouring. Even when I pour from a collection pot from large runs there are different shades of the same colors. I think that has more to do with solubility after solvent reduction than anything.

If you poured 10 jars of extract and 8 of the 10 were nearly pure cannabinoids OR terps than I’m listening -STRAIGHT OUT the CRC column.

1 Like

high-ways where im from :sweat_smile: literally HIGH
bc i blaze on it everyday

2 Likes