Cold solvent hydrocarbon blend ratios

For optimal extraction of all cannabis resins, if I am pushing a subzero hydrocarbon solvent blend of butane/iso-butane/propane with nitrogen through a dewaxing column with dry ice, what do you feel is the optimal ratio of butane/iso/propane?

Your optimal blend is going to vary depending on desired product, your extraction equipment, and post processing, among other things. Tell us more about your setup and process, along with desired end product, and we will be able to offer better suggestions.

N-butane generally will extract a wider range of compounds more effectively, while propane will extract more terpenes. A 70/30 propane butane blend is popular, yet similar results may be achievable with straight isobutane. Desired operating temps and pressures will have an influence on desired blend as well.

3 Likes

N tane has always been the preferred solvent for my money

3 Likes

This part is why I never cared as much for a blend. Its gonna require more cooling power to re condense once its boiled off.

1 Like

Not to mention that blends will have to be kept colder to stay liquid during the run as well. Good ol n-butane can fit the bill in many situations. Depending on extraction temps, it can be more or less selective in what it extracts. So many ways to skin the cat.

3 Likes

@BranchEchols I just got done reading through your other thread looking for advice for a new a small batch cls. I would strongly suggest starting with straight n-butane. It will be easier to keep safe pressures, and you will have a lot easier time learning with n-butane vs a blend or isobutane.

9 Likes

@BranchEchols How would you define Optimal Extraction?

1 Like

@BranchEchols Also just as a side thought, If you do not run any sort of media filtration i.e. CRC then its unlikely that you will need to use Nitrogen to assist the process.

More over that blend or blends of solvents will bring its own pressure to the table so to speak, which would make a nitrogen push “Doubly” unnecessary. In my humble opinion

2 Likes

Don’t wanna get too off topic (and get flagged lol) but what pressures are the typical “go to” when pushing n-butane?

Couldn’t say for sure, as I don’t use any nitrogen to push. About 60 psi seems to be a common number on a push, from what I’ve read around here.

2 Likes

Yup that’s what I stick too so cool. Thanks for the response!

1 Like

KISS…and learn to walk before you try dancing.

start with n-butane.

once you can wrap your head around how you’re going to keep your blend at your starting ratio’s then you might consider playing with them.

adding a third constituent doesn’t simplify things…

4 Likes

Pressures for nitrogen assist vary depending on alot of factors. 60psi is a good safe maximum if you are unsure of how to handle nitrogen.

Your CRC packing density/porosity will determine the assist PSI you need to maintain an acceptable flow.

When you get really experienced you can start messing with ratios of your CRC medias and the contact time your flow is spending through the CRC media, by adjusting that PSI for the assist.

Having a sightglass in your collection allows for easier adjustment of this contact time your product is spending in your CRC media.

2 Likes

Typically you’re aiming for shorter or longer contact times? I would think you wouldn’t want the flow to be too fast otherwise you risk channeling? I vacuum down my crc and tap the sides to try to get it as packed as possible

personally, if i am filtering through a stack, i like to keep my psi @30 through the stack. i find i need double that in my mat column, 60 psi mat column. depending on how cold im running, i will use anywhere from 5:1 - 10:1(-60) solvent:biomass ratio. the colder i run, the more prone i am to soak. -60c will get up to 10 min soak,

2 Likes

See, thats where the real experience comes into play.

I can only say so much, as this is all best learned with on hands time using a CLS.

Everyone runs their own ‘methods’ which is why bho concentrates all look so vastly different. The strain/format of the material your running and solvent also effect the end result concentrates, as do the methods of your crash/nucleation.

I personally run super light amnts of CRC media, and use other parameter changes to let me get away with that. Usually leaves me with super high terpy concentrates. I hate stripping any terps, use the least media for the color strip needed.

I’m also a pretty big hash connoisseur.

Bulk production on the other hand doesn’t do well with certain craft procedures.

3 Likes

being in control of where input material comes from is clutch.
Proper harvest time plays a huge role in the way an extract comes out.
Harvesting at the right time its possible to run with no crc and get a top notch product

Unfortunately majority of the L2L market doesnt allow the manufacturer to decide anything about the harvest schedule and Fresh Frozen methods.

Ive only had 1 or 2 tolls where I was able to have direct control over harvest time and freezing methods.

Better to just become more competent with all material types, and always run test extractions, so you can work with whatever material you’re delt with. Media ratios always change.