Purging crumble/BHO problem

Who did you buy the machine from?

Could you explain that please?

Molsieve should be for the gas phase. Plumbed after your recovery pot and before your solvent tank. Before your pump if you have one.

How does using/not using dry ice have any effect on vapor leaving your recovery pot and traveling through your molsieve?!?

4 Likes

There are certainly a TON of threads mentioning Molecular sieves (which I suggest you read some of), but if you don’t know that’s what you’re looking for, I can imagine plenty of non-fruitful queries.

Did you try Search results for 'sizzle' - Future4200

Knowing how to compose effective search queries makes a huge difference. It is a skill worth practicing…

3 Likes

Use more propane.

Sure, I’ll preface by stating I run a pretty small system. 18x1.5 material column that only holds around 120g.

Using just ice and water, my temps never get below freezing. Collection will be around 40-50psi during recovery and the recovery tank will be around 20-30psi. At the end of recovery, it never gets under pressure so there are some losses there from whatever is in the lines and the remainder pressure in the collection pot and column. When I had a sieve connected it would add more volume, leading to additional losses in the sieve. Additionally, because the gas flow back to recovery was slowed down by the pressure on the receiving end, this would lead to some condensing of the gas back to a liquid inside the sieve especially when running in really cold weather. I noticed this both times when disconnecting the lines at the end and seeing liquid come out of the sieve.

This could be mitigated by heating my sieve, but due to the nature of not being able to recover everything anyway, my gas ratios change regularly. Due to losses and leaving solvent for crystallization, they get even further out of whack. I generally distill 1 or 2 cans before every run to top off my tank and it gets the ratios back to normal. Also because of this loss I’ll likely never notice any moisture buildup anyway due to how I run so I decided to just ditch the sieve all together. I’m only running a small amount of solvent over a fairly small amount of material compared to most on here.

It won’t work for most, or for bigger systems, but for small guys processing good hash for themselves, it works just fine.

1 Like

Thanks. Yep, that sounds like a reasonable approach given your system constraints.

Heating your molesieves would help.

Adding salt to your ice water might also help a little, but you’re never going to get all your propane back passively without going colder on your tank.

If you’re using a propane/butane blend, you can figure out your current ratio using a pressure gauge and a thermometer and this handy table Propane Butane Mixture - Evaporation Pressure

See: Blending Solvents

2 Likes

yeah I did use salt in there when I first switched to the closed loop but after a couple of runs it was starting to corrode the bolts, nuts, and clamps so I cleaned everything up and just stuck with ice water. I had the best luck using straight N-butane but couldn’t find any at the time I needed some more gas.

Thanks for that chart, that is going to come in handy! I generally just go by the starting pressures when I fill it from the can at room temp during the distilling, but given I do this outside and temps are always different, you never really know exactly what’s the baseline.

I’m kind of bummed to be honest that I’m not using the sieve. I spent a few hundred on everything to build it lol. I’m sure it will come in handy whenever I upgrade to bigger components and get a solid form of cooling.

See: Distilling propane Question, Active Recovery - #3 by cyclopath

For other cooling bath options.

Ice water & butane would allow full passive recovery…

1 Like

yeah straight N-tane I was having a problem where I would recover too much and not be able to spout it into jars. It made for much easier not-so-col passive recovery though.

Recovering too much?

That’s just reducing the heat & shutting a valve at the right time.

Imo straight butane is a better fit for your current rig & goals.

3 Likes

If you want to sell the sieve, its possible i would buy it.
I also have a small system and blast to atmosphere at the moment due to me giving David all my money for a kit …
My next step is to upgrade my BHO system. Currently i have :
(1x) 3" x 36" Spool
(1x) 1.5" x 36" Spool
(2x) 3" - 1.5" reducer
(1x) 6" x 12" collection pot
also a 1.5" sight glass and some valves.
A sieve was on my list along with maybe a recovery pump.
( i still have not decided if i should go with passive or active recovery )

Anyway … as i said the beginning, i would be interested in buying your sieve

more so I’d be doing other things at the same time and look inside a minute too late :rofl:

You’re right though, the blends do produce a nicer color but they give me much more trouble with my process.

3 Likes

Been there. Active. Repeatedly.

Ideal plumbing includes being able to route fresh solvent into your collection pot…

2 Likes

lol yes that would be nice to have. I have a single tank I use for recovery and injection, just inject everything each time and recover back into it. It was a pain having to reconnect everything to re-inject part of what I just recovered and then do it all over again, but lesson learned. Nowdays when it’s getting in the last 10 mins or so I’ll just watch it the entire time

Save your $$ and go passive. It will help give you a better understanding of your system and you can always switch over later if you still want to.

2 Likes

Buds Hyrdo in Monroe, MI

Yeah, wouldn’t expect a hydro store to supply a live resin SOP or provide info/have expertise on the need for molsieves.

3 Likes

Ehh I just think he forgot, owner goes by danksnobz on IG and has Live Resin knowledge he has you pay for. You guys helped me for free :+1:t3:

3 Likes

Do they only sell custom built systems? Seen some crazy ones they’ve made

1 Like

They have pre built rigs too but do a lot of custom builds. Went in there yesterday for some spools, they have a fuck ton of stainless