Purging crumble/BHO problem

I’m having trouble with removing all of the solvent from a run of live resin sugar/crumble. It was set in a flat Pyrex for 3 days on 85f degrees under -20 hg vac. After the first day it completely crystallized because I whipped which I think is the issue. I believe it trapped solvent from how quickly it became solid, anyway to fix it or am I screwed? I have it under a full vac currently and I cranked the heat up some. It sizzles bad upon dabbing but looks and smells fantastic. I’m new on here and with my system so any help is appreciated

this is what it looks like currently, I’ve broken it into smaller pieces to help solvent escape

Are you in a vacuum oven or a chamber? Are you sure your temp is accurate?

It will come out, just keep purging and keep the temp down because it will take a bit now.

You said you’re new to your system and running live. Are you sure it was solvent causing the sizzle and not moisture?

1 Like

It’s very possible it’s moisture, I’ve been trying to read about that on here and how to stop that from occurring. But it was in my INTEC vacuum oven for the 3 days, and there was moisture built up on the oven window. I removed it from the Pyrex and broke it into pieces and placed into 3 separate small jars, it’s now just in a vacuum chamber with a heat plate underneath, not accurate at all with the heat plate.

I took it out of my vacuum oven and started to use my chamber because I originally thought it was finished and wanted to make room for another run

This is 100% moisture in your oil. During your run the fresh frozen material thawed letting water get into your mix . Live resin has so much terps which makes for a low viscosity oil that really doesn’t even require much heat to purge . Heat on live resin purges terps full vac on live resin purges terps even . When i purge my live resin i keep in in the oven at 70-75 F at -10-15 hg until there is no reaction which can be as little as 24 hours or up to 2-3 days . This is strain and batch dependent terpenes are sensitive and you do not want to purge them with your solvent. It is ok to pull vac up to -25hg for short amounts of time like 15 - 45 mins initially to pull the bulk amount of solvent off . Oil has to be runny or low viscosity to purge so if you have oil that is runny at cold temps or room temp little to no heat is required for purging. If your apply heat to super terpy oil like this your just diminishing the profile ! Just smoke the oil as is or formulate into edibles or something

9 Likes

Yes I believe you’re right, the terps have been just going away :frowning: but the sizzling still occurs. So the question now is, is the solvent in my tank ruined? I recover all my butane and I don’t want the same out come next time. Won’t there be water inside the butane in the tank? What are the odds people believe it’s water and not solvent if they’re buying? Lol this sucks but thank you for the feedback

If you didn’t recover through a molecular sieve then there’s a pretty good chance there’s moisture in your solvent tank now. You need to distill it through a sieve into another vessel and get the moisture out.

3 Likes

So that would attach to the line going from the collection vessel back to the solvent tank?

1 Like

Yes, it would go between the collection and your recovery tank.

You also need to figure out how you’re going to run cold enough to prevent that amount of moisture from getting into your oil again.

Are you injecting through a coil? Is your column sleeved or jacketed? Are you using dry ice or a slurry?

1 Like

I usually run very cold but I was probably lazy before. Had no idea about the sieve though thank you

3 Likes

Also that cord is absolutely not on the wet ground anymore :joy:

1 Like

Yes, a sieve is a MUST have. Even when running dry flower moisture can start to build to a noticeable amount over multiple runs and you’ll be extracting undesirables due to the moisture. Moisture can also freeze in your lines and create flow issues or completely block the line.

5 Likes

Yeah kinda wish they would’ve told me about it at time of purchase of machine, oh well. Thanks for being great help very responsive, first time here I’ll most likely be back soon lol

2 Likes

No problem. Welcome to Future4200 :facepunch:

4 Likes

There really easy to build, put one vertical on the back of the rack between the collection and recovery and dont forget to bake your beads after you wash them

1 Like

I thought you wanted the orientation to be vertical to ensure the gas passes over the beads more effectively?

I ditched my sieve after the second run with it. My material is always bone dry though so moisture never becomes an issue for me. I also don’t use dry ice so would end up losing a lot of solvent at the end of recovery to the sieve. Small run problems :smiley:

2 Likes

Ya your right got vertical and horizontal mixed up, horizontal will possibly let gas pool in the sieve.

2 Likes

Who did you buy the machine from?

Could you explain that please?

Molsieve should be for the gas phase. Plumbed after your recovery pot and before your solvent tank. Before your pump if you have one.

How does using/not using dry ice have any effect on vapor leaving your recovery pot and traveling through your molsieve?!?

4 Likes