Cold Ethanol Crude to Shatter - black stuff crashing out. Any ideas what it is - how to prevent?

Hey everyone - I’ve been reading through the site but I don’t exactly know how to phrase my question in a way that the search bar will find. I’m doing a -60C to -80C extraction using bucket tek. I then take the wash and run it through a couple filter mediums. Then its off to the roto where I hit a 25C 29.5inmg run. Everything up to this point is fine - the solutions are clear as day and looking beautiful. I pour it out of the Boiling flask and onto the Parchment paper and still its clear. Then I pull vac on the vacuum oven and leave it for an hour - come back and theres black stuff that has crashed out of it. I’ll post some pictures but the adsorbents i’m using are in this order of filtration - 2um paper filter<diatomaceus earth<t41<activated hardwood carbon — when I finished filtering I saw no residual carbon so I assumed that the black stuff wasn’t carbon. Also during the process I put dry ice into my 200 proof kosher grade ethanol. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pictures

1 Like

$10 says it’s carbon.

take your filtered tincture and let it rest in a jar (60 min?) before you rotovap. if it’s carbon you should see it settle to the bottom there.

try Search results for 'carbon past filter' - Future4200 :wink:

2 Likes

carbon!

and lots of it…

5 Likes

Ok so should I just run it through a 1um filter paper after the adsorbent medium?

nah, you should donate $10 to charity and do some reading based on that search query I gave you :wink:

chances are changing the way you make your bed is the key.

and/or add one of these after your powders and before your rotovap

4 Likes

How well did you pack your celite cake? Seems like carbons slipping by for sure.

I didn’t pack it super well - i’m using a Buchner funnel/filtering flask set up.

You need to wet pack the cake, take ethanol and celite and make a slurry. Pour that in, then pull a vacuum on the Büchner funnel.

I’d wet pack every powder like that.

2 Likes

Are you running old material or new fresh material?

Ok so I did pack it then - I pull vac and get my paper filter to lay down< then I add DE and run ethanol through it - about 1.5L< then I do a light layer of t41< followed by a thick layer of AC then I rinse it with another 1.5L<RINse<repeat<3x< then I leave the vacuum on for about 45min to harden the cake.

Fresh frozen

That’s not the same as a wet pack, I don’t believe. I mix mine up in a pitcher and pour the slurry into the funnel. I turn the vacuum on once it’s all in the funnel. Then I shut off vacuum between powders so it doesn’t dry out the rest of the cake.

If running fresh frozen, and doing the extraction cold enough, I’d skip the carbon.
I only use carbon when the extract is clearly loaded with chlorophyll or for old material. That carbon could be stealing some of your terps too.

1 Like

That’s only drying the cake ouT

This is the correct buchner funnel loading process from my experience, and what I’ve read. I’d add when you’re pouring a slurry on top of another cake, pour gently to not mess up the previous layer.

1 Like

Yea honestly I was thinking on my next run i’d just skip the AC all together. My wash had a lemon lime Gatorade color - almost gold before ran it through the medium. I was trying to pull some of that out - I think im just gonna use a 2um paper filter<DE<T5orT41… i’ll follow up with some pics after new years.

1 Like

If you’re extracting at -60 to -80C I don’t see any need to filter your extract. I have never extracted fresh frozen, we always extract dried 8-10% water. Also we extract in a column by flowing EtOH over our bud stuffed in a sock. Our EtOH temps never get below -30C and we filter through a rag to catch any plant material that may have slipped past the paper filters at the bottom of the column. If your extract doesn’t look cloudy in your collection vessel I would skip the filtration steps and just load that extract on to the roto.