Closed Loop Accidents

This is happening to both of my sight glasses on my buffer tank. Happens more when under pressure from solvent. These are supposed to be brand new. Do I need to just replace them?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this

2 Likes

Wild. Never seen that before. I’d for sure replace them

1 Like

Jesus Christ!

What temps are those seeing?!?

That should be a ptfe seal, and ptfe should NOT do that at the temps we should see on a CLS

Edit: looks like it’s #%%~>*~^^?ing silicone.

Go look up why that’s a piss poor idea, take it up with whomever spec’ed silicone, then buy yourself some buna/viton/or ptfe replacements.

10 Likes

Your right. Looking at it again and they look like silicone.

Definitely the wrong choice.

Get some ptfe ones as suggested. That’s what tanks and lids usually have on the sight glasses.

Buna or viton aren’t as good for this because you twist them when you tighten the site glass. Ptfe is what you want.

1 Like

Temps were only between 40-50c. It’s for sure looks like silicone, good call there. I’ll replace it immediately.

And for anyone wondering who spec’d that, Green Machine Labs. Just another dangerous blunder from them. I do wanna say, Kevin over there has always been a 100% dude

5 Likes

Okay so this was a bunch of years ago…

I’m breaking down my equipment and cleaning it. Some of it with acetone. I have this big ball valve that’s in the shut position so I pour a little bit of acetone through the orifice on one side and a clean as much as I could and then I turned it over for a little bit of acetone in there clean as much as I could. Looking down at it I decide to open the valve to clean as much of the ball as I can and then let the acetone run through and come out the other side. I turned the valve while still looking down at it and this huge spray of forced acetone flies right into my eye and blinds me completely in one eye and my other eye is extremely painful. What happened is after the run the center of the ball valve was still pressurized and the rest I’m sure you can figure out.

5 Likes

Glad youre okay. That sounds brutal

When it happened I was sure that I completely lost one eye and that I severely damaged the other but after a few hours I can open one of them and after a few days I could open the other

1 Like

But I also did something stupid like that in my lab before. I was in the process of making “something” and then I noticed that I didn’t add my pumice boiling stones in my boiling flask. The boiling flask was really hot already, so stupid me, I open it looking down and I throw in some boiling stones and coming right back into my face was this very toxic very hot steam that blinded me for a while. Yes yes I know I’m stupid.

2 Likes

Glacier tanks has replacement gaskets i believe.

Turns out temps are pretty much irrelevant… butane and silicone are not a good combo. I was trying to figure out how you’d melted ptfe. You didn’t.

I received a 710snob rig with several silicone gaskets in it once upon at time. Finding chunks in the filter unit was what clued us in…

5 Likes

https://www.glaciertanks.com/fittings/tri-clamp-fittings-gaskets/sight-glasses.html

3 Likes

See :Sight glasses keep leaking and/or the links within for more info

1 Like

Never had a serious accident that hurt someone, but I’ve made quite a few messes and had some close calls. No fires though, thankfully. I built my very first CLS in 2012, and 2 more after that.

Considering all the sketchy shit we used to do, we’re pretty lucky. It did help that I had already 10 years experience in the natural gas industry, though.

1 Like

Kevin is just as bad as the rest. Wasted a whole year waiting for parts after he told me things would be handled by him so there were no issues… ya right

3 Likes

Ya the whole operation is filled with idiots and liars. Oh ya not to mention that one wook that had an active case against him for running an extraction op that got busted. Fuck them

1 Like

Zack Brown is @GreenMachine_Consult and also @Azintel1.

He is a manipulator and theif. Also, its all theives and drug abusers over at green machine now doing business as DBA Blue Myco.

I believe Xorge(@GreenMachineLabs), Kevin (@GreenMachineLab) are the names associated with the tags.

All three owe several people I know directly money because people trust too much in this shitty culture.

2 Likes

How little is needed to fuck up this badly? Will small scale also impose this risk

Nope. @ThePhilosopherStoned is NOT Zach.

Did chatgpt tell you that?

3 Likes

By most metrics that was small time.

You can absolutely go smaller AND ruin your whirled.

Those clowns are generally playing in their moms basement or the gas station bathroom…

1 Like

Highly inaccurate. Idk who the fuck you are but keep my name out your mouth @dabtb

My name is not Zach. That is known by 100s of people here

Those are serious allegations and I am not the one to falsely accuse. I suggest you editing your comments immediately and doing more due diligence before making public accusations of this magnitude in the future.

7 Likes