Don’t put extract on your stove

“He that has never open blasted among you, let him first cast a stone”

-Future

15 Likes

I should definitely rephrase what I meant. I think when someone inquires about open blasting we should point them to a safer less dangerous alternative then open blasting @Future

5 Likes

I think your heart is absolutely in the right place, and I think we should absolutely recommend safer alternatives. Certainly there are many times when people don’t realize the accessibility of alternatives, or that high quality products can be made with other methods.

That being said, I think the most important thing we can do (aside from being absolutely explicit like @Curious_Roberto has been) is try to convey to the OP and also the 10x as many non-registered readers how to do these things as safely as possible.

I really appreciate this community for explaining with no euphemisms the dangers of the things we do but also engaging in real discussion about how to do them better. If we pull our punches with open blasting, we may lose that behavior with things like catalytic isomerizations.

8 Likes

I know people that have open blasted on the condenser of a small office air conditioner unit. I still chew them out for it and its been over a year since they did it

1 Like

If you cant open blast safely then you have no business being in my lab. Go work at McDonald’s

Change my subtitle to “tane head” or something fitting :joy:

4 Likes

what did they claim the advantage was over say a 76 gas station bathroom?

or their Car in a tri-met parking lot?

edit: are folks just extra special in that part of the whirled?

5 Likes

Man, and I was just about to do this

With this

Talk about saving lives…yall the real mvp

Edit, safety sooner or…um…whatever

1 Like

i am in east tn. Need i say more?

2 Likes

I was actually referring to the fact that both of the above incidents were in Tigard…

but yeah, I think I got your meaning :thinking:

1 Like

It’s like sometimes, you just cant blast open enough :thinking:

No gulls or fingers were harmed it’s unrelated photos,

3 Likes

They were trying to do an extraction with a Gatorade bottle and a heat gun? Wtf was the heat gun for?

4 Likes

Happy fun time?!?

2 Likes

I usually give a warning of caution when training techs with EtOH about the dangers of mixing heat guns with solvent vapor, and that’s just with ethanol…

What this industry needs is more training, and to recognize that two idiots in a gas station bathroom with a Gatorade bottle aren’t part of the industry. The media and government love using this shit to crack down on legal ops…

If a dumbass in a Dale Earnhardt Jr edition monte carlo crashes into a family of 4 on the interstate doing 150mph we don’t take it out on Nascar

9 Likes

Open blasting while young and stupid. I at least had the sense to do it outside. On the second can of butane the screen came flying off the end of the tube. Butane hit the dish and sprayed all over my face. I lived to tell this stupid tale because i was outside. Not near any pilot lights or taped over electrical outlets. Lesson is if you take all the appropriate safety steps, shit will still happen. I still have a face because nothing hit a spark. Someone was looking out for my face that day. That was the last time i open blasted. taping electrical outlets?

5 Likes

Had almost an identical experience happen in highschool except the screen flew off, wet powdered buds and butane up into my buddy’s face, behind the eyes, etc. fun stuff. Few years later was selling concentrates to the local delivery companies.

Open blasting should require an IQ test, and even then it’s not a good idea. Thinking back on all the master cases I’d stuff into the back of a van to drive up a bumpy mountain road with, the CLS would have saved thousands of cans worth of $ just getting it a little sooner. Very grateful to have survived the early days.

I was living in Portland when that bathroom thing happened! They always have people ODing in the gas station bathrooms too, wouldn’t want the job of the guy giving out the key

4 Likes

More reading on this subject

2 Likes

Stolen from @shattertrampSpray distillate onto flower - #185 by shattertramp

To illustrate the appropriate technique for turning un-taped electrical outlets into sources of ignition.

10 Likes

A post from solventlessmind on IG illustrates why running BHO indoors can be a terrible idea. It seems from the post this happened after his room mate kicked him out so I dont think he was involved but a good image to remember either way

One of my favorite hash rosin producers to follow.

1 Like

That made my morning

2 Likes

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but would a rosin press be considered a source of ignition? If I were to set it to 95°F to evaporate off pentane? Or am I better off just using hot water outside and trying to match that temp.