Chocolate infusion problems

Hey guys, so I was making a batch of medicated s’mores that are supposed to be 150mg but are only testing at 87mg. We are using 87% thc distillate. What is the best way to make sure the THC is properly distributed throughout the chocolate?

What are you doing now? And how certain are you that the tests are accurate?

1 Like

You probably need something like a Dispersion homogenizer, I remember seeing a post by @CATScientific ab using Dispersion homogenizers to get consistent test results.

1 Like

If you did your math right it could just be a homogenization problem

2 Likes

Are you sure you did the math right on your dosing? Are you doing this all by weight?

If it tested low and you added the correct amount of cannabinoids, that means you will have parts of the same batch that should test really hot (over 200mg/g). Was variance reported?

More info would definitely help figure out whether it is a homogenization issue or a “not enough cannabinoids added” issue. Still not convinced you did the math right, as a lab would report back variance in what was tested, should there be homogenization issues (grounds to fail testing here in Oregon for rec compliance).

3 Likes

We only test 1 or 2 pieces out of a batch so there were no variances reported. I’ll have to double check the math on it cause the formula was created before I started with the company, but we used the same base mathematical formula as our other products and we haven’t had a an OSU use with those dosages.

1 Like

One or two pieces is not the best for testing homogeneity. The larger the sample size, the better it will reflect how well (or poorly) the process was performed.

If there were two samples taken from different parts of the batch and no variance was shown, then 87mg/g is what you’ve got. If only one sample was taken, all bets are off, and you will never know how homogenous your product is.

And now that I am looking more closely, you never said it was measured in mg/g. Is the 87mg for an entire bar or per gram?

2 Likes

Show your math please.
And COA on product

How many grams of 87% distillate => how many s’mores?

Get two more tests done.
Ideally on individual s’mores

That will let you know if it’s a problem with homogeneity.

3 Likes

Sort of…

Taking 10 non-homogeneous edibles, and homogenizing them will give an accurate picture of average potency. Taking 10 more and testing them individually will address homogeneity (number of individual samples Required to assess homogeneity depends on batch size)

2 Likes

Definitely need to take a few samples from different areas, and homaginiz all the samples together (when your in R&D). Then test individually when your ready to go to production.

Say you have a 100 piece batch you should be testing 10 minimum.

One from each corner, then 3 & 3 diagonal like a x basically, you’ll hit all the points & be able to efficiently test.

Now the question is how are you mixing your disty to the product/ batter

So I have 100 pieces of chocolate that sell for $500 you want me to do 10 $50 tests?

1 Like

Never said 10 individual tests… only 10 pieces making a nice wide spread lot to be tested, same as you would say for a full panel on flower. I’ve know some places to use up to 14-28 grams minimum. I’m sure 10 pieces of chocolate wouldn’t be outweighing that. Plus why is your one piece selling for 5$ what did you make it of? Pure cocoa beans? Lol you should be selling a bar for that not individual pieces.

1 Like

$5 a bar

How are you adding the thc? What is it? hash oil? butter? Whats teh recipe and what are you adding it to, the chocolate I presume. At what temp and how are you mixing it in?

1 Like

Bars where I’m at are typically 5-10 pieces, which within that meaning “Doses” as well. So within that testing 10 pieces from each batch made would give you a very even mean of all batches & tell you if you hit proper homogenization as you’d be pulling piece samples out of a batch, so say it’s costing you $2.50-$5 per batch plus testing. Your entire batch of now 90 remaining that your upsell at $5.50-$6 per bar of 5 or 10 pieces given which margin you wanna hustle depending your quality & supply/ demand. I think that’s pretty even no?

May have goofed my math give me a moment

Okay this is based for a full batch of say something that’s bulk batch of badder that allots a very low input cost like rice crispy treats.

Depending on you’re chocolate making/product, I’d charge much more than 5-6$ per bar realistically speaking. Cause a shop is going to sell it for $30-$45 so that in itself would be the upsell in tax they require to profit even off $10 per bar

If i was gonna do smores first id do lots of research beyond asking here. And im guessing I would homogenize the thc into some oil that goes in the recipe and then heat the chocolate to he prober temp and use a mixer to mix in the homogenized oil into the larger volume of chocolate. And Id make over 100 at a time. Are you actualy roasting a marshmalow over a campfire for each one? LOL

I torch all my marshmallos on a skewer with a butane torch. Its a heady edible fasho

3 Likes

Mix butter with marshmallows evenly with a sheer mixer.

Have you seen the mint chocolate chip ones yet? heady torch mallows

1 Like