Cheap reusable filtration media

I was looking at buying a cheap filtration media to place on top of powders in the crc column so the powder bed doesnt get fucked up when solvent enters the column and came across crushed glass filtration media which is used for pool filters. It looked to be sufficient for what I wanted to use it for, the medias I was looking at were able to filter to a particle size of 5 micron and the media is about $1/lb.

Then I came across this company that makes a superior alternative to the crushed glass, the difference is these are tiny (0.6mm-0.8mm) spherical beads as opposed to a rough textured crushed glass. Apperantly it has the ability to filter particles down to 3 microns and wont channel even if it hasn’t been pre-wetted. Not needing to be pre-wetted is a feature the crushed glass option shares with the pearl glass beads.

It got me interested, so I found a company that retails the media on their website and it’s still a pretty cheap filtration media for what it offers.

I believe the listing there is for a 44 lb bag. So it’s close to $2/Lb. Pretty reasonable, I just thought I would share with you guys.

5 Likes

Get payset beach sand. Wash with acetone.

Thank me later

This is the most common cheap media used. Washes sand. And it works better than glass shards.

3 Likes

What’s payset beach sand? Just ordinary sand?

Think he means play-set sand.

Yes just regular large mesh beach sand. You need to sieve it and wash it but it works amazing and is cheap to keep bed down. This is a old mit chromatography trick.

https://future4200.com/search?q=sand

@Beaker mentions going out to his apartment complex playground and grabbing sand for his work on numerous occasions…

3 Likes

Regular play set sand is equivalent to the crushed glass, the difference being the crushed glass is a recycled product.

Those spherical beads are supposed to have better flow characteristics in comparison to the sand.