Cbd isomerization to d8 and d9 thc

Bought me a tank of argon yesterday instead of nitrogen as per your 200 IQ suggestion that argon has a blanketing effect from being heavier than air. So thanks for that

5 Likes

I can get a 90-95/3-5٪ d8/d9 using tosic

Tosic is the best catalyst for d8 IMO

8 Likes

D8 will make one isomer of d10, d9 will make the other

The spot of the double bond helps determine which way the stereo center flips when you make d10

You’ll never get a full conversion of one or the other

Mechoulam reports in that paper that it’s a 9/1 ratio for the stereo isomers I believe

2 Likes

Answer is right here

4 Likes

D9 → d10 is a base-driven process. The ratio of the two isomers is driven by one of them being thermodynamically favored. Mechoulam gives a method for using kinetic control to get high yields of the other one. His method uses powerful lithium bases at chilled temperature. YMMV on using weaker bases at high temperatures, i have no results on it.

3 Likes

Yes. The mechanism I drew is not base catalyzed but you can see how base would encourage the reaction forward. The stereochemistry depends on what base and the reaction conditions.

2 Likes

I meant for high d9, i havent seen anyone get more d9 than d8 from tosic.

2 Likes

From my understanding the zinc chloride route only yields around 50% D9. Unless I’m mistaken?

1 Like

Shouldn’t be any left if you clean up your final product properly

1 Like

Zinc chloride isnt the catalyst I use to get high d9

Not sure why this posted twice

2 Likes

Zinc chloride isnt the catalyst I use to get high d9

2 Likes

Zinc Bromide?

4 Likes

^ I think that’s the zinc catalyst that people were getting much better results with. Idk who was using zinc chloride recently, might have been on Instagram.

4 Likes

I’m looking for some pointers to do safe and easier conversions to D8/D9 from CBD distillate too. I’d be willing to pay for methods that have before and after COAs as well as easily attainable reagents. Located in LA.

6 Likes

Same :point_up_2:

3 Likes

Not sure if I should start a whole new topic for this but: when isomerizing cbd hemp distillate to d8 and d9 it takes on a kind of nasty, chemically smell. I use C-Bleach in the boiling flask of my SPD kit to isomerize. The weird thing is this only happens with hemp distillate. With THC distillate, the C-bleach isomerizes it to d8 but doesn’t produce any smells.
The appearance is like champagne, I’m not getting discoloration. Nor am I getting any azulene throughout. Just a funky smell that I don’t understand. Has anyone else run into this problem?

3 Likes

I got the same nasty chemical taste smell using t41. Headache and naaaasty constipation when consumed.

3 Likes

Ditto.

1 Like

Did you purify after using the T41?

1 Like

purify how?

1 Like