Cbd isomerization to d8 and d9 thc

I noticed 90-120 minutes reaction time here (applicability hmmmm?)

However, I have no lab skills and have tried this exactly zero times (ie cheeba level lab skills minus the fraud)

5 Likes

Yeah, I’m going to redistill it before I ph balance it today just to see if that makes any difference. The rise in thc makes me think the reaction wasn’t done. In house analytics is looking like a good investment right about now…

The chart is for simulated gastric acid and this was t41. My starting material was 94.5% CBD and that’s all gone @30 minutes. My delta 9 is about double what I started with.

1 Like

I did not put together all the data I got on this topic of d8 snthesis… from memory I remember seing one same pattern in series of samples from two different sources. In both case those persons were showing progresses in their synthesis sample after sample, starting from cbd isolate.

First would be 20% d8 10% thc, second about 50%d8 with 10-20% d9, and final about 80% d8 and low d9…

In paralel what I see is that the cbd peak is quickly “attacked”, and it splits in 3 peaks. In fact cbd depletes fast in the reaction progression, and is replaced by 1-2 intermediaries (that s how I interprete this). It seems stepwise. These two intermediaries are usually the main ingredient not accounted for. If I recall well, in the best synthesis I saw, it was 80% d8 and the last intermediary made up most of the remaining 20%. It was almost done, they stopped too soon !

3 Likes

Ok, here’s the graph. Is the peak @ 10.273 delta 10 thc? @Dr_Jebril @cyclopath @anon6488101

3 Likes

I think I stopped too soon too. Lab manager at the testing facility agrees. Interesting tidbit, he did his doctoral thesis on delta 8 many years ago.

2 Likes

I can’t tell you that. They use another set up here, and that chromatogram does not say much. They should give you an overlay of this data, with an analysis of a cbd flower (or an extract) lead on the same setup in the recent times, so you could see if the retention time is the same (assuming their method can resolve those two).

3 Likes

Looking at this post from the last thread, it seems water has a lot to do with HCl causing D8 conversion. I can’t seem to find the paper referenced in that thread mentioning HCl other than the one looking at gastric juices. For a very high CBD to D9 conversion is sounds as easy as dissolving CBD in anhydrous diethyl ether while feeding argon into the flask, then set up an anhydrous HCl generator to bubble HCl through the mixture for an hour. The calcium chloride route sounds safest, but I’ve heard it doesn’t produce gas very quickly compared to the sulfuric acid route. I don’t think that should be a big problem though as long as everything stays under argon? Just run the reaction a little longer?

To neutralize the mixture, I’m thinking it should just be as simple as adding a saturated water/sodium bicarbonate solution while still under argon to prevent any water or oxygen exposure before neutralization. Sound about right?

5 Likes

So if you had two intermediaries would that suggest a two path isomerization where delta 8 and delta 9 were created independently/simultaneously? So perhaps it doesn’t go from CBD to d9 to d8, but from CBD to both d8 and d9 at the same time, or at least independently? Hopefully this makes some kind of sense.

A ring closing and isomerization in a concerted step seems unlikely to me. D8 and D9 will exist in equilibrium under a lot of different conditions.

If you follow me me on Instagram you can see the d9 to d10 mechanism and more.

6 Likes

Water and oxygen cause d8, you are 100% correct

I love the fact a bunch of you are running argon now instead of nitrogen (I’ve been recommending this for a while since argon give a better o2 free environment because its heavier then o2 where n2 is lighter)

Making sure your apparatus are completely dry definely helps prevent d8 when going for d9

Depending on how strong of an acid you use you might need a stronger base then Sodium bicarb, especially if you’re trying to correct color

7 Likes

Heres the d10 mechanic reported by Mechoulam in 84

The only way to get a stereo center up top is by pulling a hydrogen off of it

We believe a hydrogen then comes off at the 10th position and attaches to the top to fill in for the pulled hydrogen

Remember a strong base makes a weak conjugate acid

Pulling hydrogens (base catalyzed isomerization) is a much different game then pushing them (acid catalyzed isomerization)

6 Likes

6 Likes

The proton is removed from the c3 group

The mechanic you’re showing for d10 is pushing hydrogens which is how d9 becomes d8

3 Likes

Ew. First of all, they should have filtered out the noise peaks that are being integrated here so you can see the chromatography better. Aesthetics are important.

And yeah, there is no way to know what that peak is without a reference standard. Retention times aren’t universal so it could literally be anything.

4 Likes

Read the d10 thread for more info

2 Likes

400+ posts. Ok, will do. Is your thought that the CBD converts to both d8 and d9 simultaneously, or CBD to d9 to d8?

Tosic acid in toluene?

1 Like

@Dr.stanky I believe cbd can convert directly to d9 and d8 but i think to get d10 u need d8 as the prescursor, so u gotta turn d9 into d8 before it goes to d10.
For cbd to d9 use nickle and zinc catalysts :wink:
Tosic acid will get u 2:1 d9:d8 at best, from what others have told me, i havent ran that one yet

4 Likes

This one can be dangerous from what I understand. Make sure you understand all the different reactions etc. taking place. Something in there or caused by the reaction is a gas at very low temps I believe.

Only concern I have with the nickel as a catalyst is it’s now one of the metals they test for here in Michigan

2 Likes